Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Verstraete
Belgium
Ooike
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

This year we are attending the international spieltage in Essen for the fourth time. But this year is gonna be different because in june we welcomed our newly born baby-girl Helena in our lives.
I want to know if there are people who have experience with bringing along a 4 month old baby to a crowded place like the fair in Essen. Is this do-able? are there enough places where you can come to rest (read give breastmilk), or is this an experience I'd better skip for my daughter's and ours sake?

greetings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say: don't do it! Too much noise, too many people, too many impressions for such a young mind. On the other hand, as you probably know yourself, there are some halls that are rather quiet and the restaurant area where you and your wife could stay on a rotating shift. But that is probably more stress than fun...

BTW there was a similar question last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
desmodus
France
Bantzenheim
flag msg tools
badge
Die Ärzte, Bad Religioon, Bauhaus, Dom Perignon, In Extremo, Joy Division, Lacrimosa, New Model Army, Nirvana, Officine Panerai, Placebo, Rammstein, The Sisters of Mercy, Smashing Pumpkins, The Cure, The Mission, Die Toten Hosen, Umbra et Imago
mbmbmbmbmb
We did something similar in 2002. Our son was born in September and we went to the fair in October. At this time we were living in Essen and had never attended the fair but as we did already enjoy Catan and Carcassonne, we thought it is a good opportunity to check out what else exists in the board game world. It was not a long travel, and we wanted to explore this BGW(orld).

We had our firstborn in a buggy. We decided upfront that if it was to noisy for the baby, we would just quit a go home.
But, was we discovered was that the noise in on the fair and the rolling movement of the buggy rocked the baby to sleep. We stayed there for 4 hours and it never woke up. When it was time to feed our son we went home, as we did saw so enough new things for ourselves. We could have easily stayed there for the feeding and see more games etc.

So from our perspective, it was a good experience and we would do it again, if we had the occasion to do so.
So long as it is only for one day and the baby is in his usual environment (buggy, cuddly toy, your voices etc) I think that there is no problem. As you know already the fair, you know that there is a rest area with kid games on the upper left end, you also know where you want to go and how to organize to see the games/publishers you are interested in, so that it is no stress for you.

Now, if you can arrange it, to go to Essen on Thursday or Friday, it will certainly be easier to cross the alleys with the buggy, than during the week end when there are more people on the fair.

Just my two cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hegel wrote:
I would say: don't do it!

I would chip in on this. Usually it might be possible on a Thursday and you find some quiet place for feeding (if sitting on the ground is ok for you) but this year the autum - holidays for those in school in NRW (the county (I think this is the proper word for the German "Bundesland" the fair is in) will be around the fair. So expect it to be more crowded on a Thursday too.

Usually I pitty those who are taking their baby to the fair because over the last few years there are more and more people attending. You might experience some "bad mood" from those without a baby or little child when you walk around a very crowded hall with a buggy or something similar.

it depends a lot on the child but I as a father have promised myself not to take my son until he is 6 years old and then only for half a day.

Wouldn't do it - for me the child is more important than the fair (which does not mean that I doom those who take their child there - as you can see some have positive experiences - just my personal opinion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Verstraete
Belgium
Ooike
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for the advice,

Our first feeling told us not to go with our baby, but the thought of leaving our baby 4-days for the first time with someone else made us re-think the possibility of taking her with us.

And although Richard has a positive experience, knowing my worrying and conformistic mind and the fact that we are going in the weekend, I think we'll have to work out an alternative and alternate turns of going to the fair (we stay in a Center-Parcs in South-West Holland, that's a one hour drive from Essen).

So thanks again and see you in Essen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion as a father of 2 children: Even if I pity your wife, I would strongly recommend her to stay at home with the baby for this year. Seperating a 4-month old breast-fed baby from her mother for several day is big stress for everybody involved and huge stress for the baby (don't get me wrong: breast-feeding is the best thing you can do for your baby!).

Now if your wife really has to go to Essen, it might be best to keep her as close to her mother as possible. So the baby-sling proposed above is in my eyes the way to go. You can alternate carrying her though. Most likely she will sleep most of the time at least as long as you keep on walking. You may want to get her (and yourself) used to the sling some time before.

You won't have too many alternatives: A 4-month old is way too young to sit in a small buggy and you will have no fun shoving a full sized baby carriage across the fair (well, it might be possible somehow on thursday).

And I may sound overly cautious, but another risk for your baby in this year may very well be the new flu if you bring her to a fair with thousands of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Verstraete
Belgium
Ooike
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolfzell wrote:
And I may sound overly cautious, but another risk for your baby in this year may very well be the new flu if you bring her to a fair with thousands of people.

this had also crossed my mind, particularly for my baby. But I wondered also if there would be any restrictions, precautions to the visitors in general at the fair in Essen. If you see what they are doing in the schools, it is not impossible that in Octobre there is

a) a fair where they hand out masks and gloves
b) no fair
c) a fair where everything is as usual, mexican flu was hyped

Obviously it is to early to sensibly comment on these matters, because at this time the pandemie is rather small in numbers in Europe and
no one knows how this will develop. But still, everyone seems very quiet about this topic here on the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.