Mike Drysdale
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I love designing games and I'm always looking for insights into how others have been able to make it work for them. I've listened to several "interviews" that people have done with Reiner Knizia (he comes to mind as he's designing games and that is his profession, career, whatever you want to call it). I've found that there are still questions that are left unanswered, for me anyway (please correct me on some of this if I've somehow overlooked some interviews or whatever that do answer these questions). Anyway, I've put together this list of the questions that I would ask Reiner Knizia if I ever had the opportunity to speak with him (which is something that I doubt will ever happen). So, I figured I'd post it here and see what I can drum up without speaking with him.

My questions:
You've said that you designed games while young but none were "very good." At what point did they start becoming "good?"

Which game was your first published design? Did this happen for you before you decided to design games full-time?

You've also said that you "decided to do games full time." How were you able to make that happen? (Did you have 3 years worth of money saved up that you lived off? Did you already have several published games so you were able to live off of that income?)

Can you describe in a little more detail the "group" you work with as you design? Do you meet everyday? Do you only play your designs? Do any of them receive any sort of compensation? Have any of them designed games and had them published?

Could you describe a typical day in the life of Reiner Knizia?

About how many games do you submit each month?

What is the acceptance rate (how many are picked up per how many you submit) for your designs? How has this changed over the years as you've been designing full time?

How many times have you been solicited to design a game?

What is your most common method for submitting? Do you submit like the rest of us would do it, writing our 1-2 page game sheet? If so, do you write it, do you have a writer?

Do you write the rules/instructions for your games?

How does your design process go? Do you have a notebook where you keep all your game ideas? Do you use a computer? How far into the design do you get before you pull out some components and try out the ideas you've been developing? (I guess the question here gets at how much of the design can actually be worked out in your mind before you need to get physical objects out and try it out to "see if it works.")

Lastly, about how many of your design ideas make it to prototype and playtesting?

Well, there you have it. Just some of the things I'd like to ask Reiner Knizia. Maybe this is my ridiculously long educational experience coming through, but I've learned that there are a lot of things out there to study and different ways of studying them. I figure that if I'd like to design games for a living then I need to study those who actually do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Drysdale
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for those links. They are great. I guess I can't find everything through my own searching. Others have seen and read things that I've missed.

I appreciate your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.