Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With older Magic cards it's really a hard thing to determine rarity and sometimes the set from which each card came from. keep in mind that older Alpha/Beta/Unlimited versions of even commons are worth money BECAUSE THE PRINT RUN WAS LOW and are thusly harder to find. The same card in 5th edition is still only worth a couple of cents. Also, the older the card the more condition matters (as the smaller print run means finding a high quality version of that old card is tougher).

http://forums.gleemax.com/showpost.php?p=15010686&postcount=...

Will help with the determination of the sets especially the tricky "core set" cards which all look the same to an untrained eye.

Here is a list of the expansion symbols. Starting around the Urza block (I think) they started color coding the symbols to represent rarity. Orange = mythic rare - gold = rare - silver = uncommon - black = common. Older sets with the symbols are always black, which sucks for trying to figure out the rares.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=magic/rules/...

I'd say the best way to organize a collection is by set. Then you can say in your posting "400 cards from Invasion" "300 from Urza's Legacy" which will allow an interested buyer to say "Do you have ___ from the Invasion set?" Then you only need to sort through 400 cards instead of looking at a 50,000 card collection and have to deal with everything at once.

If you know which cards are rares and such, a great way to see if what you have is worth money is going to www.starcitygames.com. You can do a search in their store and sort all rares out and organize by price. They are respected in the secondary market and many FLGS use the site to price their cards. As new sets come out, some prices can change dramatically. These guys will always be up to date on the trends. I would say they might sell a little on the high end, but it's still better than guessing.

Some key ideas for selling off everything:

Ebay. Bulk up everything into smaller boxes and get 10-20$ a piece for small lots of commons and uncommons. Obviously the good stuff you may want to sell separately, but at least you can set prices, and bulk lots are appealing to new players.

Shops. Some local shops do a lot of business in Magic singles. you can walk in and sell everything for a base price or store credit. Troll and Toad as well and Star City Games will also buy through the mail. Only thing is, they will likely only give you 25-50% of the actual worth, and if the collection is unsorted will maybe just throw out a figure without looking at what you actually have (to their benefit). I've been shafted many a time selling directly to a shop!

Craig's List. You see bulk collections sell quite often here. It would also allow you to let the buyer look through themselves and see what it's worth to them. You might get someone sharking you if they see it's obvious you have no idea that you have some hidden treasures.

Math trade. Offer them up on a math trade and get something you want!

Basically said, be careful. The less you know about the cards you have, the more likely you are to either be ripped off or rip someone off unintentionally. It's easy to think you have junk and have treasure (I know someone who bought cards for $50 from a rummage sale and ended up selling them on ebay for ten grand individually)... and vice-versa (I know a guy who wants $10 a pop for old rares that won't nab more than a dollar each on the secondary market). It's tricky, and frustrating. But if done right, might make a house payment or two!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that trying to sell valuable cards on a newly created Ebay account won't be easy...you'll get much less for them in an auction because people will be suspicious. I recommend that people find a friend with an established account and offer a percentage to use the account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest rule of thumb is don't sell it if you're not familiar with it. Find someone who knows the game (and who you trust) and you will get a much better return. Never sell anything in bulk that is worth money, you'll get a fraction of what you would otherwise.

I see way too many people with cards show up here and they have no idea how to get a fair return on what would otherwise be valuable cards. To sell Magic cards you really have to be on top of the game and know what is going on, as given cards can skyrocket or plummet in value quickly, and the only way to know is to be keeping up with things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*bump* As it seems to be that time of year again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*bump*

Anyway I can get this stickied? Seems to be something I forward to people fairly often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figured I'd bump this since people seem to be Spring Cleaning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.