Subject: First time playing... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Spragg
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
My friend and I borrowed this game from a third friend, and sat down to give it a shot. He had given the rules a good read through, and I found a PDF online and glanced through them before we sat down, but the salient point is that this was a first time play for both of us (as opposed to an experienced teacher and novice student).

It didn't take us that long to get up and running, but not being familiar with the rules and various modifiers, there was plenty of rulebook referencing. We played the first firefight, involving the capture of the cross roads. We used only "Section 1" rules, no optional variants.

I won't go through all the nitty gritty details, but cut right to the chase. I LOVED this game. We bumbled around a little at first, figuring out when and why Opportunity actions were good and bad, and how to use our CAP points. At the end of the first turn, the CP was contested, and no points were scored. Within the next few turns, it changed hands multiple times.

The entire game came down to basically a single die roll. My opponent made a last ditch effort to storm the point, kill my unit which was standing on it, and claim it for himself (with the goal of scoring two points for the turn). If he was successful with that, I'd basically have to attempt the same maneuver in order to win. Luckily for me, he failed to capture, and the final turn ended with me ahead in points.

In spite of our newbie'ishness, I still feel like I "got it", the tension and the balance, the strengths and weaknesses of the units and different actions. I can't wait to give it another go.

My compliments to the designer and rule book editor. The entire system felt very clean and logical and consistent(!!!) across the board. The rules were very clearly laid out, and unambiguous. (I had a PDF on my laptop next to me, and being able to doing "searches" was pretty handy, too!).

Of course, using only Section 1 rules, I know I'm missing a lot of the game. Maybe it all goes downhill after this. I doubt it, and I know that I can't wait to find out!

Adman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It only gets better with the additional rules and options. I love the dynamics the cards bring into the game. With the CAPS you know what your opponent has up his sleeves but with the cards you just don't know how they will be able to react to your actions.

BUY THIS GAME! You will not be sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Savage
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It only gets better, not goes downhill. Wait'll you play with tanks, hidden units, mines, smoke, etc. And the good news is a second game using this system is on the way soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you enjoyed the game! As the other commenters mentioned, it only gets better after the first firefight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can replay the first scenario again once you've learned the added rules such as hidden movement and smoke capability for the Pioneers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.