Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Duke, an explored gate, and Feds raiding Arkham questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, we've been enjoying the HELL out of the base AH game, but running into some questions here and there.

1) Sister Mary had an encounter and befriended Duke, thereby increasing her max Sanity. Does she get that Sanity token right away, or is that just the allowable upper limit, if she ever goes to the Asylum for a brain-refresher? We played it the latter way (not getting a San token right away). I know there was a thread about Ashcan Pete and Duke, and FFG said that he gets the San increase at the start of the game, but that's a slightly different scenario than a random encounter, so we wanted to play conservatively.

2) "Feds Raid Arkham: All monsters in the streets return to cup" card. We played it that only monsters in the STREETS were removed to the cup, but I thought I'd read somewhere on BBG that this should include Location monsters as well. Which should it be?

3) My husband explored a gate and returned to the location from the OW. Due to a Mythos card in effect, we could only CLOSE gates and not SEAL them, so he decided to sit on the open (and explored) gate until that particular card got played out for a few turns. He didn't want to merely close the gate and risk having another gate open, moving the doom track up (I think we were dangerously close to an AO awakening). We were wondering if, while he was sitting on that open and explored gate, he could have regular Location encounters (we played it this way), or what else should happen during his Arkham Encounter Phase?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NurseFoxfire wrote:
1) Sister Mary had an encounter and befriended Duke, thereby increasing her max Sanity. Does she get that Sanity token right away, or is that just the allowable upper limit, if she ever goes to the Asylum for a brain-refresher? We played it the latter way (not getting a San token right away). I know there was a thread about Ashcan Pete and Duke, and FFG said that he gets the San increase at the start of the game, but that's a slightly different scenario than a random encounter, so we wanted to play conservatively.

Yep, only if you get +1 Max Ally during setup do you get the benefits immediately. Though you could skin Duke , i.e. discard him for his ability right away if you happen to be, say, at 1-2 Sanity at that moment.

Quote:
2) "Feds Raid Arkham: All monsters in the streets return to cup" card. We played it that only monsters in the STREETS were removed to the cup, but I thought I'd read somewhere on BBG that this should include Location monsters as well. Which should it be?

Only streets. There are Mythos cards that remove monsters from locations.

Quote:
3) My husband explored a gate and returned to the location from the OW. Due to a Mythos card in effect, we could only CLOSE gates and not SEAL them, so he decided to sit on the open (and explored) gate until that particular card got played out for a few turns. He didn't want to merely close the gate and risk having another gate open, moving the doom track up (I think we were dangerously close to an AO awakening). We were wondering if, while he was sitting on that open and explored gate, he could have regular Location encounters (we played it this way), or what else should happen during his Arkham Encounter Phase?

No, he just sits there for his Arkham Encounter Phase, doing nothing (open gate replaces the location, thus no location encounters), hoping for "No One Can Help You Now" to go away, after dealing with any possible monsters during the movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
NurseFoxfire wrote:

Yep, only if you get +1 Max Ally during setup do you get the benefits immediately. Though you could skin Duke , i.e. discard him for his ability right away if you happen to be, say, at 1-2 Sanity at that moment.

Quote:

Only streets. There are Mythos cards that remove monsters from locations.

Quote:

No, he just sits there for his Arkham Encounter Phase, doing nothing (open gate replaces the location, thus no location encounters), hoping for "No One Can Help You Now" to go away, after dealing with any possible monsters during the movement phase.

1) Poor Duke! Ok, my follow-on question is, if you choose to discard him to regain all your Sanity, I assume you gain only what your original San max was, correct?

2) Gotcha, we played it correctly, I just wanted to clarify.

3) Aside from the Hound of Tindalos, would any other monsters pop up in a location? Especially since he's not going to have any standard Location Encounters. Just wondering what you meant by that

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Englehart
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if Duke is sacrificed you don't get his bonus to your Max.

Monsters could show up through the gate during a Monster Surge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
3) A monster could show up as the result of a Monster Surge during Phase 5. A monster could also move onto your location during Phase 5. For the base game, this would just be the Hound.I think. In Dunwich, Stalkers are introduced and can move back onto locations.

In all cases, you would fight them in Phase 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah right. How could I have forgotten monster Surges!

One other question:

If you move to a location with an open gate (with the intention of going through it to explore), and there's a monster squatting on it, do you have to fight (or evade) the monster before going into the gate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
NurseFoxfire wrote:

One other question:

If you move to a location with an open gate (with the intention of going through it to explore), and there's a monster squatting on it, do you have to fight (or evade) the monster before going into the gate?

Yes. You fight monsters in Phase 2 and go through gates in phase 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Gildor
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NurseFoxfire wrote:

One other question:

yes indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nurse Foxfire
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.