BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Do You Carry Yours Around? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a Geeklist on take-everywhere games a short while ago, but since then I've been wondering...

Does it really pay to take a game with you wherever you go? Does a game's portability matter at all?

Now and then it might, of course--when you're getting ready for a long flight or a camping trip or something. But what about from day to day? Is there any point in carrying a favorite game in the trunk of your car, or in a backpack or coat pocket?

Please post something and let us know what (if anything) portability means to you. Share your stories!

Or, if you like, you can vote in this little poll:

Poll
What do you think of portability in games?
I like to always have a game right at hand, so I carry one with me.
The games I like best take up table space, so I keep them at home and don't worry about portability.
As long as it can be packed up in a box, it's portable enough for me.
Something about compactness in a game appeals to me; sometimes I'll be intrigued by a game just because it's small and portable.
I find that most compact games--those designed for portability--aren't that much fun to play, so I tend to steer clear of them.
I'm often in a situation where a portable game comes in handy.
I'm rarely in a situation where a portable game would be handy.
I think it's cool to carry a game around with me, so I do (except when I don't).
I think it's geeky to carry a game around, so I don't (except when I do).
For portability, I rely on electronic handheld devices like the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP.
      160 answers
Poll created by Patrick Carroll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do You Take It with You?
My wife and I will usually take a conveniently portable game with us when out and about - eg Cartagena, Citadels or The Rose King. If we have a half hour to kill and a little table space, then we're set. At other times I like to at least have a deck of cards handy, although the opportunity to play may rarely arise. Better to have a game and not need one, etc etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm almost always up for a game--anytime, anyplace. And I find compactness aesthetically pleasing. Unfortunately, I have kind of a reserved lifestyle; I'm an introvert and don't end up playing games a lot--certainly not spontaneous pickup games.

Still, I'll always put a game in my bag if I'm on a flight or going camping or something.

And I like the idea of portable games so much that I'm always on the lookout for a good game that's perfect for carrying around.

Meanwhile, I've got several games loaded onto my Palm PDA, and I play one of those just about every day at lunchtime or whenever. It's ideal when I'm waiting for my wife in a mall or someplace. I'd much rather play a game of cribbage or dominoes on my PDA than sit and read a book.

Somehow, I hesitate to play a non-electronic solitaire game in public. Guess I'd rather that people don't know what I'm up to. I'm fine with playing a two-player (or more-player) game in public, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two things I try to have available at all times, if reasonably practical, no matter where I am: a book and a game.

If I know I'm going to be with friends who are at least theoretically open to playing a game, I might bring one or more "gateway" type games, such as Settlers, Ticket to Ride, etc, but the larger the box, the less likely I am to bring it along on a whim. If I'm going to bring a game along somewhere and I really don't know for certain that we'll be playing something, I will almost exclusively limit myself to something the size of a deck of cards, something like Category 5 or No Thanks.

At least 95% of my games are pretty much "appointment only" games - I would never just bring them along somewhere if it's not a planned game-playing event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I suppose it says something that both of my family's cars presently have a Tichu deck stowed in their armrest compartments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blakeley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a tiny studio apartment so our games are either played on my bed or in coffee shops, so we tend to prefer games that can be played relatively quickly and don't require extensive set up. So we have a couple of Kosmos 2 players, some Munchkins, Chrononauts and the like, things we can throw into a bag or purse and go.

I think the largest game we own is Dominion but it's not made it outside yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
When the weather isn't too hot we often just keep our bag of games in the trunk of the car. That way, no matter where we are, if someone talks about playing a game we can say "Well, we just happen to have some games in the car." But the size of the game matters very little. Big games have just as much likelihood to be stowed away in our trunk as small games like Cinq-O.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little mislead by the title of this thread. I guess my interpretation of "do you take it with you?" is a bit more grim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sherwood
United States
Arundel
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep an "Emergency Tichu" deck in my glove box. I also often pack poker chips in my truck when visiting the masses (non-gamers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bring games when I plan to play games. When I plan to bring games, I pack the games I have a desire to play, or games I know others have a desire to play. I have a variety of bags/boxes/carts available to bring just about any game (short of The War Game: World War II) without any difficulty.

When playing system games, like ASL, I bring the just components that will be in use (I will typically bring just the markers and the nationalities/boards involved in the scenarios to be played that day). Collectible games, I'll make my deck/army build at home, and bring just that and my trading materials.

Most gaming materials I may bring on any given day will fit in a single duffle bag. Larger game days may require one of those folding, rolling carts found at Staples or Costco.

EDIT: In short...I don't anticipate sudden gaming moments to break out, so I don't have gaming materials with me unless I'm planning to play something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a travel pack of games that I keep near the door. I can throw it in the car anytime I think there is a chance that something might get played. I may grab two or three other full-size games depending on where I am going and who is going to be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
I was a little mislead by the title of this thread. I guess my interpretation of "do you take it with you?" is a bit more grim.

Hmm . . . and that in spite of my last-minute change. The original title was "Can You Take It with You?" But I decided I didn't want to talk about that degree of portability. Let's just stick to here on earth in the present lifetime.

I edited the title so as not to mislead anyone else.

Come to think of it, though, I remember reading someone's commentary on Advanced Squad Leader years ago. He said he'd definitely be playing the game all his life--and if possible, beyond this life. (I think he meant it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Do You Carry It Around?
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Come to think of it, though, I remember reading someone's commentary on Advanced Squad Leader years ago. He said he'd definitely be playing the game all his life--and if possible, beyond this life. (I think he meant it.)

Playing ASL in the afterlife? How pessimistic, to believe oneself to be destined for hell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:

You're killing me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always got about 7 small games with me in my purse to play with my kids while waiting somewhere. IGOR: The Monster Making Game gets played a lot, especially in restaurants while waiting for food.

There's just something about tiny games that appeals to me. Whenever I see those keychain or pen versions of popular kids' games in the store, I'm always tempted to buy them, even though I don't even like the full-size version of them (so far, though, I've resisted temptation). The other day, I found my daughter's empty glitter container and was about to throw it out, then decided to try to create a game that could fit in it. Here's the result:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
sq498 wrote:
I've always got about 7 small games with me in my purse to play with my kids while waiting somewhere. IGOR: The Monster Making Game gets played a lot, especially in restaurants while waiting for food.

There's just something about tiny games that appeals to me. Whenever I see those keychain or pen versions of popular kids' games in the store, I'm always tempted to buy them, even though I don't even like the full-size version of them (so far, though, I've resisted temptation). The other day, I found my daughter's empty glitter container and was about to throw it out, then decided to try to create a game that could fit in it. Here's the result:

Could you make a geeklist of great "purse games for kids"? I think it would be way useful.

EDIT: TO answer the thread, I have chess on my blackberry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it fits in my trunk I have it with me.

I have a lot of my favorite or gateway games in my trunk. Usually this is due to being lazy after going someplace to play games and not taking them out of the car. I will say though it has come in handy sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend always carries around a deck of cards so we can play whenever we get a chance. Versatile and easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Haner
United States
Lagrange
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I carry around HIVE in the car...you know, just in case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coloretto came to a conference with me recently and was a hit with some of us during a break between sessions. I usually carry a card game in a dice bag with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bobek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of The Games of War in my classroom as well as box of them in my car. There's several at The Bookend's Cafe so I don't need to bring one in there. Never know when a miniatures game will break out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I bring with me is RftG. I usually end up just playing the solitare (which is fine by me, I love it), but on that off chance I find someone who know RftG...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathstroke wrote:
The only game I bring with me is RftG. I usually end up just playing the solitare (which is fine by me, I love it), but on that off chance I find someone who know RftG...

That's great. The only downside of that one is that you might find someone who doesn't know the game but is interested in playing it. Then you'll have to teach it--icons and all.

I bought Race for the Galaxy, but I haven't dared introduce it to my wife; seems like it'd be a chore to teach. So I've so far only played solitaire. We have other games to play together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy having a game that we can carry with us everywhere. Hive is the game that we keep in the car at all times, and it fits easily in the glove compartment or pocket behind the passenger seat. The portability factor alone makes Hive one of our top rated and most played games. This particular game has made it to the table at restaurants ranging from McDonald's to relatively upscale establishments. We enjoy getting in a game or two while we wait for our entrees to arrive. It takes up very little table space, and it's very easy to clean. We don't have to worry about sticky fingers and barbecue sauce at our local wings cafe. We also love that the game makes a great conversation piece, and it's fun to see how long the waiters can hold out before asking us what the game is all about. Our last waiter kept wandering by our table watching us play, and finally he said, "Okay, what are you playing?"

A portable game like Hive provides a good distraction while waiting for a dental cleaning or a root canal. True story. gulp In addition, we look forward to introducing my brother, a former chess fan, and his family to gaming with Hive the next time we are at his home. And the next time we're at the beach, it'll be great to have a compact game we can take with us to play in the sand under the beach umbrella.

In addition, the game has no set-up time, has quick (usually) play time, and easy tear down. Chess with bugs. Did I mention that, besides providing a little brain exercise, it's fun? None of our other games meet all of the above qualifications, and they remain at home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
Canada
Kinda SW of Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too paranoid to carry my games around much. Losing pieces, denting boxes etc. When I do it is usually a planned thing. I prefer to try and pressure my friends into buying all my favourite games so I can leave mine at home where they are safe. Needless to say when I go visit and I suggest a game out comes Monopoly or Cranium... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.