Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Hit by a missile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one of those friends who seems to have abnormal highs and lows. One of those whose life is never boring. I went out for pizza with a him the other evening. I noticed that his car was damaged and ask what happened.

He gave me one of those looks that lets you know that even he can barely believe what he was about to say and then said, "I was hit by a filing cabinet."

Apparently, a vehicle ahead of him was carrying a filing cabinet which fell out. The minivan immediately in front of him was able to swerve out of the way, but also blocked his view until it was too late. The was, also, apparently a car to his left limiting his ability to move out of his lane.

So, the still spinning filing cabinet took out his passenger side mirror and scraped up the side of his car. When he discussed this incident with his insurance agent, the agent said that since he was hit by it as opposed to hitting it that it would be categorized as being hit by a missile.

As he said, when things like this happen what can you do but laugh?

22 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
When he discussed this incident with his insurance agent, the agent said that since he was hit by it as opposed to hitting it that it would be categorized as being hit by a missile.

I assume this means that the insurance will cover it, right?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
thorndor wrote:
When he discussed this incident with his insurance agent, the agent said that since he was hit by it as opposed to hitting it that it would be categorized as being hit by a missile.

I assume this means that the insurance will cover it, right?


Yeah, and the deductible is considerably lower because he was hit by it than if it had just been in the road and he had hit it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thorndor wrote:
I have one of those friends who seems to have abnormal highs and lows. One of those whose life is never boring. I went out for pizza with a him the other evening. I noticed that his car was damaged and ask what happened.

He gave me one of those looks that lets you know that even he can barely believe what he was about to say and then said, "I was hit by a filing cabinet."

Apparently, a vehicle ahead of him was carrying a filing cabinet which fell out. The minivan immediately in front of him was able to swerve out of the way, but also blocked his view until it was too late. The was, also, apparently a car to his left limiting his ability to move out of his lane.

So, the still spinning filing cabinet took out his passenger side mirror and scraped up the side of his car. When he discussed this incident with his insurance agent, the agent said that since he was hit by it as opposed to hitting it that it would be categorized as being hit by a missile.

As he said, when things like this happen what can you do but laugh?



Hey, I'd laugh too. A few feet more towards him..........shake Not pretty!!!

I'd be laughing and thanking God that I was alive!!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:


Hey, I'd laugh too. A few feet more towards him..........shake Not pretty!!!

I'd be laughing and thanking God that I was alive!!


Yeah, but if he had died, then he would've been (sorta) immortalized on CSI Miami or some other procedural. One of the characters could've said "Looks like he was filed under D... for dead."
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's more or less how Director Alan J. Pakula died.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope his sex life is happy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was driving behind a truck carrying 3 reclining chairs last year. I was zoning out and then suddenly got a feeling something wasn't right (not the first time either).

The first place my eyes focused was on the tie down rope, and while everything 'looked' secure something in my head raised a red flag. After that I started paying more attention and increased the gap between us and made sure my side lanes were clear. Less than 10 seconds later the rope snapped and all 3 recliners flew off the back and hit the road dead center in my lane. I was already pulling into the next lane before the first chair hit.

I'll never forget that. If I hadn't gotten that feeling I might have hit all three. Thankfully the folks behind us were far enough back to notice the chairs and merge into the next lanes.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I had a ladder fall off a van in front of me on the highway once. Luckily I was far enough back that I could avoid it, but that was a bit scary.

The real question here is:

What do you have to get hit by in order for the insurance company to categorize it as "hit by a magic missile"?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
I had a ladder fall off a van in front of me on the highway once. Luckily I was far enough back that I could avoid it, but that was a bit scary.

The real question here is:

What do you have to get hit by in order for the insurance company to categorize it as "hit by a magic missile"?


This guy:
















or any one of these magical creatures:

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In twenty years of business to business sales, I've had aluminum ladders come off a pickup or a van in front of me six times. I've never hit one. I've had 40 or so bales of hay come off farm truck on winding two lane black top in front of me. Nope, no collision. I had two dozen steel sign posts slide out of the back of a city truck in front of me at a Stop sign. They slid right between my front tires and under my front bumper.

I've seen a cement mixer coming at me at a 45 degree tilt on just it's right side tires after making an ill-advised U-turn too fast and running up on the median with his left tires. He rolled completely onto his right side 15 feet from my front bumper.

Two years ago, while crossing a four lane bridge with no median, I had an oncoming car get too far into my lane. We clipped side mirrors at an estimated closing speed of 100 mph.

It shattered the mirror itself but took just a one inch by half inch chip out of the fairing. Fortunately it was raining and I had the window up. Mirror fragments pitted the drivers window.

Jeez, I can see why I pay more insurance for business use. It's darn dangerous out there.

But... I've never been hit by a missile or any other piece of office furniture.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some crackpot scientists believe that humans can see into the future by as much as a few seconds. I wholeheartedly believe this is true.

I'll get it.

*ring*
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
I've seen a cement mixer coming at me at a 45 degree tilt on just it's right side tires after making an ill-advised U-turn too fast and running up on the median with his left tires. He rolled completely onto his right side 15 feet from my front bumper.


Holy Frozen Monkey Love on a Stick!

I would've had to buy new seat covers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
scribidinus wrote:
I've seen a cement mixer coming at me at a 45 degree tilt on just it's right side tires after making an ill-advised U-turn too fast and running up on the median with his left tires. He rolled completely onto his right side 15 feet from my front bumper.


Holy Frozen Monkey Love on a Stick!

I would've had to buy new seat covers.



I saw him start his U-turn and I started fiddling with the radio dial for a second or two. I heard a loud thump, apparently when he bounced on the median. When I looked up the scene was so incomprehensible, I couldn't quite process the implications right away. A dozen people at the underpass construction site and in the others cars jumped out with their cell phones. Hell, I didn't have time to get scared until after I was clear of the intersection and on the expressway. The guy was hospitalized with non-life threatening injuries. He did not have a seat belt on.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.