Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an ACTS/Cyberboard game using the 1916 Scenario between myself and Jeromey with me playing the CPs. This was my eighth game using the 1916 Scenario and my fourth as the CPs. For this game (as for the previous game) we made some changes in the Alllies’s favour. Jihad was reduced by 1, the Parvus to Berlin Marker was moved 1 turn later (therefore moving the Revolution marker), we removed the trenches in Gaza and Beersheba, and we treated the Persian Uprising as permanently eliminated.

Haversack Ruse Succeeds

Summer 1916

British Empire MOs on both sides Revolution due in two turns, TU Max Rps at 11.

Romania entered the war, winning a battle at Hermannstadt, which the Austrians took losses to hold. I reinforced Hermannstadt and occupied Kronstadt while moving the TU XV Corps to Burgas. The Romanians captured Hatseg and Russian troops in Oltu moved to the front lines. I played Kaiserschlacht for Rps and Allied Solidarity brought more Russians into Romania.

I played Confused Orders for Ops, mistakenly thinking it more important to hold King Constantine and entrenched in Diyarbarkir. Dunsterforce appeared in Eastern Persia. We both played for Rps (Enver-Falkenhayn Summit, War-Weary Balkans). I attacked Nasirya with a single divison, fulfilling my MO. The Allies attacked Samawa to fulfil their MO. I ended by redeploying troops to Sulemaniye and Karind.

Fall 1916

TU and No BR MOs Revolution due in on turn. Tu Max RPs at 11.

The Russians attacked Varna, destroying the Bulgarian division there and taking the space. I played for RPs (Unrestricted Submarine Warfare) and Lloyd George took Command, followed by Talaat Pasha. The Allies attacked Kronstadt and Vidin. I moved TU-A VI corps and its accompany divisions to Rustchuk, the Schmettow Cavalry Corps to Kronstadt, and attacked Craiova, taking it despite a failed flank attack. The Russians attacked Erzincan.

I formed XVI Corps in Erzincan and moved XIV Corps there as well, while moving away from the Russians in Bulgaria. Faisal besieged Aqaba and the Russians attacked Giresun and Harput. I played for Rps (Yildirim Offensive). Jeromey declared he knew how the Allies could win the scenario, but it wouldn’t work now in this game. Allenby appeared. I redeployed troops to Gaza and the turn ended with the fall of Aqaba and the arrival of Marsh Arabs in the Hai.

Winter 1917

Egypt MO. Revolution duethis turn TU Max RPs at 11

Arab Desertion, Berlin to Baghdad Railroad, Turkish War-Weariness, CP RPs (Yildirim Offensive), Indian and Turkish Reinforcements (with trench in Gaza) followed in quick succession as the Winter seemed to be phoney war.

The Allies then organized Anzac Desert Corps and BR XX Corps in Egypt and I played for Rps again (Turkish Reinforcements). The Allies attacked Siwa Oasis, the Hai, Sannaiyat and Harput. Mosquitoes prevented combat in the Hai. I moved back from Sannaiyat to the Hai and moved Bulgarian in divisions in Sofia out to the Romanian front. The Allies played Greece for Rps and I played King Constantine, attacking Bucharest. The Russian Revolution began.

Spring 1917

Balkans MO, Revolution in stage 1 TU Max RPs at 9.

The Allies organized XXI Corps and attacked at Sannaiyat. I entrenched at Kut, organized XVII Corps at Gaza and attacked Ploesti. Three Allied Corps gathered at El Arish while the Caucasian Corps appeared in Alexandretta. The Allies attacked Doiran and Gaza, using Haversack Ruse against Gaza. Without Confused orders or Water Shortage (or even Sandstorms) I could not stop the Allies taking Gaza. The two Caucasian Corps lumbered south as Turkish Arab divisions occupied the spaces in front of the Allied armies.

The allies destroyed the Gaza fort and took Jaffa and the Hai. I played for Rps (Jihad Supremacy). The Allies captured Jerusalem, Haifa and Nablus, but the Turkish Arab divisions managed to withdraw in good order to Beirut and Megiddo. TU-A VIII Corps, marooned in Beersheba, attacked Gaza, its only legal move, while the Caucasian Corps reached Beirut and Megiddo and the Germans attacked Ploesti. The Allies attacked Amman, destroying the fort there. Turkish forces streamed towards Syria and Bulgarians moved to Doiran and Burgas.

Summer 1917

Egypt MO TU Max RPs at 7.

The Allies took Dera and Hesa and besieged Maan. I attacked and took Ploesti. The Allies besieged Medina. Turkish Reinforcements, with the Left Wing Group appearing in Damascus. This broke the limit on LCUs in Restricted Areas, so I eliminated TU-A VIII Corps from Beersheba (It was OOS anyway). Jeromey redeployed more divisions to Syria, and I similarly redeployed divisions to Alexandretta.

The Allies attacked Damasucs using Tanks, driving the Left Wing Group back to Riyaq. I played for RPs (British War Weariness). Greece joined the Allies, taking Vps to 4. I organsied XXII Corps in Alexandretta and attacked Damascus, destroying the remnants of the Left Wing Group. The Allies attacked Beirut and Kut, taking Beirut. I attacked Seneh using Pasha I but did not destroy the Russian forces there completely as I needed to to break through. During sieges Maan fell, but not Medina.

Autumn 1917

Balkans MO TU Max RPs at 5. VPs at 3.

The Allies attacked Doiran and Kut, taking Kut. I attacked Saqqiz, destroying the Russians but reducing both my divisions. The Russians moved troops to fill the gap as the British captured Azizya. I attacked Braila and moved troops to Ctesphon. The allies plugged the gap in the Romanian front and attacked Hilla, destroying a division there but not advancing into the space. I played for RPs (Jihad Supremacy) and Balfour Declaration moves the VP total to 1. I organized XX Corps in Baghdad and prepared a fall back line of trenches at Homs. Jeromey declared “Jerusalem by Christmas on Medina.

Desperately I issued the Bull’s Eye Directive, attacking Saqqiz, Hamadan, Bitlis and Ruwandis. The attack on Ruwandis was the only one to gain ground, and Jeromey simply redeployed a division to Suj Bulak to block it., while also sending more troops to Syria. I attacked Hamadan, Trabzon and Damascus, needing two VPs if Medina fell that Siege phase. I only gained one, Trabzon. However, Medina held out. The game continued…with the Revolution ending and the Georgian Protectorate appearing in Batum.

Winter 1917

Balkans MO TU Max RPs at 2

The Allies attacked Riyaq and Ctesphon. I moved out of Riyaq, entrenched and Baghdad and captured Tabriz and Urmia, bringing Vps up to a safe 4. Indian reinforcements arrived in Basra and Salonika. I played for Rps (Kaiserschlacht). Jeromey redeployed troops to Teheran and Central Asia. I redeployed troops to Julfa and Kasvin. The Allies moved troops to Baku. I moved troops to Salyani. We both played for RPs (Massed Cavalry Charge, Enver-Falkenhayn Summit) The Allies attacked Doiran. The Senussi and Qasquai attacked, but only the Senussi were destroyed (I was trying to get some more useful tribes in play). Medina fell at the end of the turn, (VPs to 2), so no new tribe appeared.

Spring 1917

BR-IN-ANZ MO TU Max RPs at 0

The Allies moved up to Diwaniyeh and Riyaq. I placed Yildirim in Baghdad and Erzincan, with Falkenahayn joining them in the latter. The Allies moved to Museyib and attacked Homs using Massed Cavalry Charge. This was foiled by Water Shortage and I brought XV Corps in from Constantinople by rail. The Allies attacked Ctesphon and Baghdad, meeting Ataturk at Ctesphon. I then moved the Ctesphon troops back to Baghdad. The Allies attacked Kermanshah, driving the Turks off without advancing.

I played Yildirim Offensive, attacking Erzerum, Baku, Ctesphon and Teheran. I captured Erzerum and disgraced Maude at Ctesphon but otherwise failed to break through. The Allies played for RPs (D’Esperey). I moved troops to Bitlis. The Allies took Ramadi, opening a line of spaces into Syria, but they didn’t have the range to take all of them at once yet, so I played my last card (Unrestricted Submarine Warfare) for RPs. Taking advantage of Brad’s recent flexible ruling on negative TU RPs and GE RPs I was able to get rid of some units away from the front and focus the Rps on the front lines.

Summer 1917

No MO.

The Allies gathered forces at Ctesphon. I redeployed troops to the Caucasian front. The Allies attacked and captured Baghdad. I captured Tiflis, entrenched at Salyani and attacked Van. Tha Allies captured Khanikan. I attacked Erevan and Ardahan, destroying the Transcaucasian divisions there. The Allies attacked Sulemaniye and Tikrit. Severe Weather struck the attack on Tikrit, which did no damage, but the Turks were forced to retreat from Sulemaniye.

I attacked Kars and Teheran, removing the last Transcaucasian unit and besieging Kars. Allied forces advanced to Sulemaniye and Mayadin. I moved troops to Mosul and Julfa, while entrenching at Mosul, and moved troops in to fight the Romanians at Constanta. We both played for RPs (Push to the Breaking Point and Unrestricted Submarine Warfare). Once again the flexible RP rules worked well for me, and Kars fell in the Siege phase, but I was still only on 5 VPs.

Autumn 1917.

Egyptian MO.

The Allies attacked Homs and were defeated. I moved troops to Shemakha and Salyani. The allies entrenched at Baku and Teheran and attacked Deir Es Zor. I used Confused Orders to save Deir Es Zor, and attacked Baku. The allies redeployed troops to Central Asia, Kut and Isfahan. I attacked Baku and moved troops to Enzeli and Suram. The Allies advanced into northern Persia. I attacked Baku and entered Central Asia from Enzeli, but the Jihad revolt failed to materialize. The Allies wiped out my force in Central Asia and attacked Mianeh and Dier Es Zor, taking both. I succeeded in patching the holes this opened in my lines and attacked and took Constanta.

The Allies spent their last move removing Soviet Uprisings, victory being assured. I went ahead and attacked the Georgian Protectorate in Batum for the extra Vp, even though it could not win me the game. In a crowning indignity the Georgian forces succeeded in fighting off 2 Turkish Corps by reducing one of them and so preventing Turkish advance (the other had been reduced earlier). The Armistice Vps brought the score to 3 (Jeromey said 5 at the time, but recounting it I think he may not have taken into account that he had 3 Oil Wells to my one).

Overview

For a slight variation in the programme, here we have a disastrous Central Powers performance by yours truly. It was pure chance it didn’t end in Allied autovictory in turn 13, with Medina’s one turn holding out giving me some undeserved breathing space. Once I had played Confused Orders there was a ticking time bomb until I redrew it, a time bomb which exploded at Gaza. Credit goes to Jeromey for a fine game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Haversack Ruse Succeeds
Very interesting game. The Caucasian Front seamed really quiet. How long did it take you to play the 10 turns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game started on 17th June and ended on the 11th July. However, it was PBEM and there was a lot of downtime between us- in particular there were maybe 2 weeks in the middle Jeromey was away or the like.

The Caucasian front could have been even quieter. Had I known Medina would hold out the whole Autumn 1917 offensive there would most likely not have occured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeromey Martin
United States
Dallas
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
The game started on 17th June and ended on the 11th July. However, it was PBEM and there was a lot of downtime between us- in particular there were maybe 2 weeks in the middle Jeromey was away or the like.

Indeed; visiting my father in Virginia for about 5 days and random interruptions at other points. As Phil can attest, though, I play pretty quickly when the real-world doesn't intervene too heavily.

It was a very interesting game--I certainly wasn't expecting to break through so easily through Gaza, but the Ruse tends to do spectacular things. Good die rolls help a bit, too.

The VPs at the end were definitely 5, though, Philip. I held Ahwaz and Baku (mercy be to the trench roll and my combat rolls there!), but didn't manage to take Mosul. Ploesti was yours once your Romanian offensive got going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.