9 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gambling World rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume I have gambled successfully and I get to choose one of the flipped cards to keep.

Is my choice of card public knowledge? (or can I pick up all flipped cards, shuffle if desired, then secretly choose one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, it is known. You choose one of the *flipped over* cards to keep (as well as your ante), not one of the *previously flipped over and now gathered up and shuffled cards*! ;-) [emphasis added]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification and speedy response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Boelen
Belgium
Korbeek-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about the ante card (cfr. gambling world)

Can the ante card be one of the cards you just received from the consume phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woolever
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You can choose the order to invoke powers (with the exception of Trade which must happen first, when applicable), and any received cards can be intermingled with previously held cards. A common example is using discard-for-point powers (like Deficit Spending), discarding cards just received.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Boelen
Belgium
Korbeek-Lo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ullfig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Not sure I understand how this works now. The card says "if none have a larger cost or defense, lose your ante...". I'm playing with the AI and I anted Improved Logistics (3/2). I draw Drop Ships (4/2), Alien Robot Ship (4/2) and Pre-Sentient Race (2/1). Shouldn't I have lost the ante? The cost of the first two is greater. Is this a bug in the AI version? It seems the AI is programmed as "if none have a larger cost AND defense..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robo wrote:
Not sure I understand how this works now. The card says "if none have a larger cost or defense, lose your ante...". I'm playing with the AI and I anted Improved Logistics (3/2). I draw Drop Ships (4/2), Alien Robot Ship (4/2) and Pre-Sentient Race (2/1). Shouldn't I have lost the ante? The cost of the first two is greater. Is this a bug in the AI version? It seems the AI is programmed as "if none have a larger cost AND defense..."

You misunderstand the card. The AI implemented the rules correctly in your case. You succeed if you find something more expensive than your ante. Either of Drop Ships and Alien Robot Scout Ship would make your gamble succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
robo wrote:

You misunderstand the card. The AI implemented the rules correctly in your case. You succeed if you find something more expensive than your ante. Either of Drop Ships and Alien Robot Scout Ship would make your gamble succeed.
If ANY of the cards you flipped is greater than the cost/defense of the card you ante-ed, then you get to keep any single one of them, not just the ones that were greater than the cost/def of the ante. So going back to your example, since at least one card (4, 4, 2) was greater than 3, you may also decide to pick Pre-sentient Race as the single card you get to keep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.