John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend a great deal of my work day in an automobile driving to and from home, my office and my sales territory. I see a lot of poor drivers, idiot drivers, inattentive drivers, rude drivers and lost drivers. I drive defensively and I assume everyone on the road is lost, incompetent, impaired and has no turn signals or rear view mirrors. By doing so, I expect it so I've never experienced enough road rage to even flip someone off except...

I've been conditioned that a car horn is a warning. I don't know what it is about blowing your car horn when driving through a tunnel. On I-64, between my home, office and my turf is a little tunnel less than 100 feet long. Cars are moving at 65 mph. (I think, that's roughly 3000 1200 kilometers per metric hour.)

Far too often, somebody directly behind me or alongside me will start honking like a teenage boy picking up his date. It's usually an adult with children in the car.

I'm always checking my side mirrors and rear view so it is really disconcerting to be running at 65 mph (the speed limit is 55) in traffic through this little tunnel with nowhere to go in an emergency and suddenly have some "responsible" adult driver start honking his bleeping horn for the echo effect to amuse little Aiden or Conner.

Forget it. We are driving too fast and the tunnel is too short. I betcha I couldn't get an echo out that tunnel at midnight with a shotgun.

Is tunnel honking some kind of superstition thing I'm not aware of? Have you heard of it? Have you done it? Do you still do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard of it. I've heard it. I'll occasionally spend a weekend in Monterey, CA, and they have a short tunnel going from the downtown area to Cannery Row. It never fails that when we drive through that tunnel, someone honks their horn in there. But I can't say I've ever been that irritated, mostly because no one is going faster than, say, 35 mph (about, what, 650 kpmh?), and the risk seems much smaller. It's probably weekenders getting their kicks. I don't think I've ever heard anyone do that in the Caldecott Tunnel, a major commute artery in the San Francisco Bay Area East Bay area. Then again, I only did that commute for about 9 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be glad it's not this guy:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, never heard of this before.

Quote:
I've been conditioned that a car horn is a warning.

Seriously. If there's one thing that gets me about other drivers, it's people who use the horn for trivial reasons. If I hear a freakin' horn someone better be trying to avoid a wreck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think my dad did it once for us when we were in a small tunnel and there was NO traffic.

JohnRayJr wrote:
Seriously. If there's one thing that gets me about other drivers, it's people who use the horn for trivial reasons. If I hear a freakin' horn someone better be trying to avoid a wreck.

What about when a driver isn't going through a green light after 3-4 seconds? Because I use it then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense or anything but responsible adult driving doesnt involved going 10 over the posted speed limit.

Kinda sounds like pot calling kettle black, your upset at the horns, but you do 10 over, not much leg to stand on friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought that the horn should sound louder inside the car than outside. That way you'd only ever use it if you REALLY needed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On Monday mornings, I'm dedicated to the proposition that All Men are created jerks.
United States
Stratford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I kid, I was told you had to put two fingers on the roof of the car while the driver blew the horn in the tunnel for good luck.

Normally, I only remember that when driving under the one railroad overpass that we did that in in my youth.

I've never taught my kids that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean. But this a rant. And the speed depends on the time of day. This highway was designed for a posted limit of 65 or 70 back in the day. I try to drive to maintain a safe spacing in front, to the rear and have some space laterally. I don't set it on cruise and roll at 65.

I'm always making slight adjustments to maintain my space. People who are really hauling ass are pushing 75+. They are a hazard and should be busted. But if the pack, often including the cops is running 62+ on this stretch, 55 sometimes isn't as safe as it is legal.

Today the traffic was relatively light and running 62 mph +, when some jerk who was running faster than that in the fast lane started honking all the way through the tunnel up until he passed me. I saw the kids in the car laughing.

This guy was exceptionally obnoxious. Most of the folks who honk are not blasting all the way through the tunnel and passing the pack. Nevertheless, signaling a potential emergency warning unnecessarily and unexpectedly in tight quarters is one of my big pet peeves since I'm through that damn tunnel on I 64 at least twice a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got shit drivers here in the Bay Area, but I've never heard anybody tunnel honk...and we've got some pretty long tunnels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no idea that was a thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
amwiles wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

What about when a driver isn't going through a green light after 3-4 seconds? Because I use it then.

It's a warning - that they will die a horrible death, if they don't get their piece of junk moving! As such honking in that situation is just to make the other driver alert of a grave danger and is ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
No offense or anything but responsible adult driving doesnt involved going 10 over the posted speed limit.

Kinda sounds like pot calling kettle black, your upset at the horns, but you do 10 over, not much leg to stand on friend.

Wow... none of you have driven in Jersey where 70-80 is the norm, regardless of what the sign says. There are stretches of highway (I-78 especially) where everyone knows there are no cops, so 90-100 isn't unusual.

Of course, it's the out-of-staters driving 55 in the left lane refusing to move over who ruin it for the rest of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
blindspot wrote:
We've got shit drivers here in the Bay Area, but I've never heard anybody tunnel honk...and we've got some pretty long tunnels.

Here we have really bad ones that think the horn is a mating call I think and they blow it like the 1 dollar beer night is about to be over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What about when a driver isn't going through a green light after 3-4 seconds? Because I use it then

In that case, I'll tap the horn once briefly. If that doesn't work, the subsequent warning shot does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.