Popular Tags: [View All]
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
With the RPG Geek beta up and running, I am wondering: Will there be a RPG Geek Chit Chat? Will some BGG Chit Chatters defect to the other side? Will we form baseball teams and play against each other? What will their memes be? Wizards with pancakes on their heads? Dragon bacon? Hobbit-powered submarines? Magical Jell-O?

I'm scared...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
Will there be a RPG Geek Chit Chat?

Yes.

Quote:
Will some BGG Chit Chatters defect to the other side?

Yes.

Quote:
Will we form baseball teams and play against each other? What will their memes be?

Yes.

Quote:
Wizards with pancakes on their heads?

Yes.

Quote:
Dragon bacon?

Yes.

Quote:
Hobbit-powered submarines?

Yes.

Quote:
Magical Jell-O?

I said GOOD DAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
João 'Finding a new way to make you WTF today' Marum
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, and in all seriousness, and I hope Derk or Aldie are reading this, make the off-topic forums merge in both sites. The rest can be separate but RSP and wackiness is the same all over, whether you play BGs or RPG, so one RSP, Chit-Chat and so on for the whole geekdo domain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
Honestly, and in all seriousness, and I hope Derk or Aldie are reading this, make the off-topic forums merge in both sites. The rest can be separate but RSP and wackiness is the same all over, whether you play BGs or RPG, so one RSP, Chit-Chat and so on for the whole geekdo domain.

The plan is to have them be separate for both sites. I hope to also see some general Geekdo-wide forums that will be shared by all geekdo sites, which will of course include a Chit Chat and an RSP.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:
Honestly...make the off-topic forums merge in both sites.
I for one never want to see a youtube video that some RPG'er posted. Those guys are nerds. Unlike us. Right? Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing about this is that the ChitChatters of both sites will virtually be the same. We have an abnormal high rate of RPers here, so it would be only natural that we both shared the same CC forums, since the faces won't change much.

RSP will get a lot more members though. RPers are good folk for talking RSP, especially the indies and those who've been around since D&D boxed set.

I predict CC will not increase by much but RSP will get a whole truckload of new members, mostly because from my years of RPG forum browsing, RPers have a tendency to have serious discussions than outright wackiness, though the RPers that are wacky are wacky by my standards.

I hope the off-topic forums never separate, no matter how many geekdo sites spring up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love all of those involved, it is unlikely that I will ever go to RPG Geek. That said, I would prefer to have the Chit Chat and RSP comingling with the weird roleplayers. It would make sense from a cross promotional standpoint to merge these.

My fear though is that games are prohibited from discussion in Chit Chat. Would we still be able to make fun of LARPers if Chit Chat washes into that other site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like an option that I could track both forums from one link. I use this link and I'd like to continue using it with both site.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/browse/region/1?sort=act...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm certainly open to the idea of having them comingle.

However before going off and advocating for it, consider that RPGgeek may not be the last geekdo franchise. Other users have already suggested movies, video games, and comic books for future directions to move into - do your feelings about a combined Chit-Chat/RSP extend to those?

I certainly see compelling arguments on both sides. Having such threads collected all in a single place is certainly more convenient. However part of the charm of Chit-Chat and RSP is that we all have a common appreciation of board games, and this common appreciation certainly lends itself to flavoring several of the topics of conversation, even if games aren't the main topic of discussion. That would certainly be diluted (if not entirely lost) if geekdo does expand past RPGs.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Portugal
Loulé
Algarve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

However before going off and advocating for it, consider that RPGgeek may not be the last geekdo franchise. Other users have already suggested movies, video games, and comic books for future directions to move into - do your feelings about a combined Chit-Chat/RSP extend to those?

I certainly see compelling arguments on both sides. Having such threads collected all in a single place is certainly more convenient. However part of the charm of Chit-Chat and RSP is that we all have a common appreciation of board games, and this common appreciation certainly lends itself to flavoring several of the topics of conversation, even if games aren't the main topic of discussion. That would certainly be diluted (if not entirely lost) if geekdo does expand past RPGs.

My .2 cents.

Yes, I see your point. However, both in terms of bandwidth (Sharing the same off-topic forums for all domains since RSP and CC are pretty much a world of their own within BGG that has more in common with serious discussions and nonsense wackiness respectively rather than the games) and in terms of keeping everything organized (Pretty sure most of us would go to the RPG side as well, since most of us are RPers, and most of us also enjoy all the other activities, and thus the userbase would have a lot more in common in these off-topic forums than the rest of the forums).

However the widening of audience may dictate a creation of an off-topic forum for general talk. Not everyone will want to be silly or have a serious discussion, but I think that will only happen if geekdo expands beyond RPGs and BGs.

So, I would prefer to see all off-topic forums merged together for all domains or, at least, Chapel's suggestion to be implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
The plan is to have them be separate for both sites. I hope to also see some general Geekdo-wide forums that will be shared by all geekdo sites, which will of course include a Chit Chat and an RSP.

-MMM

Let the triple-posting begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

It is true, the more you co-mingle with different sites there will be fewer subjects that could be consider off-topic. For example if Bacongeek.com goes up and their Chit Chat drifts over here, they are going to be really upset about how much we talk about bacon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

exactly. Off topic is most univeral in nature anyway.

If I have too many venues to deal with, I lose track, and probably wouldn't take advantage of those other sites. Which is why RSS aggregates exist, to give me that centralized list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like poll time, then...I'll post something up shortly.

-MMM

---edit---
And here you go:

Chit Chat: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3681381#3681381

RSP: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3681396#3681396
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Poll
RSP/CHIT CHAT POLL
Should we let the LARPING SCUM into our Chit Chat/RSP forums?
No
Hell No
Fuck No
Kill 'em all and spread their entrails back into their own crusty forums.
      27 answers
Poll created by nexttothemoon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
As much as I love all of those involved, it is unlikely that I will ever go to RPG Geek. That said, I would prefer to have the Chit Chat and RSP comingling with the weird roleplayers. It would make sense from a cross promotional standpoint to merge these.

My fear though is that games are prohibited from discussion in Chit Chat. Would we still be able to make fun of LARPers if Chit Chat washes into that other site?

I also would not go to RPG except on those exceptional times (once a year?) when I have extra time, have read all of BGG, and am bored.

If my beloved Chit Chatters and the growing-on-me RSPers were to split????? I think it might dissolve or lessen one or both of these forums.

I say start it as one, then if it warrants a split, split it.

My 2 cents!

MMB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

That's something I fear. Dilutition on the topics that aren't of concern of any sides of the fence. See RPG discussion belongs to RPG, BG discussion to BGGG, off-topic discussion to nether. SO having to off-topics, and an off-topic of the off-topics (suddenly they are in-topic now, but which topic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
MGBM wrote:

I'm not reading this, but my faithful manservant Matthew is. I've delegated the decision to him. I trust you will all lobby (read: spam) him accordingly.

I personally feel that you can always make fun of LARPers, every stinking day of the week. And smelly wargamers. And anal retentive eurosnoots. And over-the-top AmeriTards. And I think you get my point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
MGBM wrote:

I'm not reading this, but my faithful manservant Matthew is. I've delegated the decision to him. I trust you will all lobby (read: spam) him accordingly.

I personally feel that you can always make fun of LARPers, every stinking day of the week. And smelly wargamers. And anal retentive eurosnoots. And over-the-top AmeriTards. And I think you get my point...

I want to rub your belly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
derk wrote:
MGBM wrote:

I want to rub your belly.
There's a line, get in back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
MGBM wrote:

+1

If there is one Chit-Chat for both, and discussion of games is off-limits, then it doesn't matter whether the games in question are board or RP, neither one can be talked about. If not, then in BGG Chit-Chat we should be allowed to talk about RP games -- since they are off-topic -- and in RPGG Chit-Chat, those people (including me) should be able to discuss board games.

Since we don't want either situation to arise, I suggest that there be a geek-do Chit-Chat. Enough of us are familiar with board and RP games, comics, etc., there should be little or no problem for cross-over discussions and memes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.