Popular Tags: [View All]
Hung Nguyen
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got RvI this past Friday and got a chance to play ~18 games (6-2P and 12-5P games). In the 5P games, the average winning score was in the high 30’s (Improved Logistics ended a lot of the games prematurely). It seemed much easier to pursue a military strategy with the addition of mercenary fleet. Overall we only had two takeovers in the 18 games and one of them was a "token" takeover just for the sake of taking a planet over.

Here are a few observations that I have for some cards

Crash R&D Research Program is a VERY good card. It is played at least 2X a game if not 3-4 times. It does lose you a card in tempo, but is really great because at 1 cost, can be played at anytime and is a perfect card to play while leeching a develop. It’s a great way for card-light military to more easily pay for 6 cost developments.

Imperium Blaster Gem Consortium and Gene Designers are good candidates for Doomed World/Colony ship instead Lost Species Ark World. Although early game I would still definitely pick LSAW for the production bonuses, especially early game.

Pan Galactic Research has been played in almost every game! It’s very hard to turn down 3 good leech powers. This might deserve a 2nd copy?

Galactic Exchange is, outside of Pan Galactic Research, my favorite new 6 cost development. It's fairly easy to get 10 points and the consumption ability is much more flexible than diversified economy. It's still nice to get the produce bonus from DE though.

Uplift code, Interstellar prospectors, and Alien Uplift Center have not been played yet

Galactic Advertisers were seen in many games and are a great way to leech on consumes.

Rebel Stronghold and Alien Monolith has made it out in multiple games and were fairly easy to play with the additional firepower (Mercenary fleet, Imperium Troops, etc).

With Galactic Advertisers and Galactic Salon, Naked Trades aren't so naked any more. You can call a consume trader and still at least get that benefit if no one called a settle. On turn, I had plenty of cards with options for develop/settle and it was clear that the others were going to do one of these. So I took an unconventional move and did Consume 2X. I drew one card and got 2VP while the others got no effect from the Trade. Of course you have to be careful if people have excess goods after a consume, have Trade League, or also have Galactic Advertisers/Salon.

Imperium Blaster Gem Consortium is an interesting card in that it gives you 1VP 2 cards for a brown good. Unless you have a better good like genes/alien to trade I would suggest not trading the brown good and just letting it get consumed. You get one less card and one more victory point, but then have the flexibility to choose another action.

1-2 official takeovers, nothing more than 4 points Would have had more, but rebel pact and new military tactics defended

Imperium Cloaking Technology is a great way to get expensive alien non military production planets for virtually free (Data Alien Repository)

I had a "draw 5, keep 4" on an explore +1, +1, with Research Labs, and Pan Galactic Research.

The "Combine before discarding" explore power is useful on Explore+5’s and if you have a lot of extra "draw" explore powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Klemm
United States
Concord
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, U better be bringing RvI tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bott
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group and I are addicted to RFTG and have been since it came out. The new expansion does a lot to change strategies, and I was writing about them the other day. Check it if you're interested - http://leggomyjuego.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kester J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards that have stood out for me so far (they mostly correlate with yours):

Galactic Salon is a great piece of design. It's a really neat way to keep consume strategies up to snuff while still being flexible. It works well in a develop strategy too. Usually worth at least 5 or 6 points when played early, even if you aren't calling consume 2x. You just need some discounts to get it down without ruining cardflow.

R&D Crash Program can really jumpstart you if the game starts slow. Replicant Robots turn 2 for only 2 cards? I'll take that.

Universal Symbionts makes green mass production a possibility, and does so in style. Almost a necessity in order to use Gene Designers, which - like GGP before it - suffers because green production is a) pricey and b) rubbish (LSAW excepted, of course).

Galactic Developers will cane everyone with a good hand of cards and sluggish opponents. You really have to play a fast settle game against it if you want to keep up.

Dying Colony is amazing for produce/consume. A windfall and a consume power for free? OK, it doesn't score, but I'd probably still play this if it gave you negative points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Uplift Code has hit the table three times here. In one game it scored 11 points - that game I also got the Uplift Spam goal. Other times it scored 8 points. Its benefit is highly variable, dare I say a "luck-fest".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.