Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just picked up Blackbeard today at my FLGS. I hadn't read anything about it beforehand: I purchased it on the strength of the nice looking components and my memory of the original game.

Evidently, I got a later edition as there are change bars in the rules and references to the "Living Rules". Ok, cool. Second round is better, right?

I see there is a "recommendation" to add +2 to KC rolls on attack. But I also read here that the developer plays by the "original rules as written". Plus I see there are more KC changes in the works, though the developer doesn't seem to like all of them.

This is pretty confusing! Which rules am I "supposed" to play by? I'm not sure I even have the "original rules as written" given the reprinted rule book. But I also don't have whatever tweaks are coming and how am I supposed to decide whether to add +2 or not?

I can understanding having to make changes post-publication. It's not great, but sometimes you have to. I'm less fond of making changes that you yourself don't use then "recommending" them. What does that mean?

Anyhow, can anyone clarify which rules I ought to use? I'm leaning towards the ones I find in the rulebook I have, though I am clueless whether the KC should be +2 or not since the rulebook allows for either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Alas in my experience, Berg + Randall + GMT = game kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy Castro
United States
Wyoming
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely use the +2 on KC & I think warships as well. Without it, you seem to be throwing your warships and KC's at other peoples pirates, which they then slay and get noteriety for!! I played one game without the +2 and it was very frustrating.

I get it that the author keeps saying it's a "simulation" and adding +2 isn't historical but if this "simulation" isn't fun, then why bother, just read a book about pirates. To which I recommend "Empire of Blue Water" by Stephan Talty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Randall
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:

Anyhow, can anyone clarify which rules I ought to use? I'm leaning towards the ones I find in the rulebook I have, though I am clueless whether the KC should be +2 or not since the rulebook allows for either.

Precisely. You decide which one you want to use and go for it. The problem is that several people found the warships and KCs too weak, while several others did not. It was pretty much split 50-50. So we decided to give an option for those who did find them weak.

I recommend playing with the +2 modifier if this is your first game.

As for the other two KC changes I was about to make, I still don't have enough testing data to confirm them, although the little data I do have suggest that they're a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.