12 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about victory point cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastián Bauer
Argentina
flag msg tools
this question came up in a game with my family, where my mother and me were both at 9 points. It was my turn, and, since I had 2 stones, 2 sheeps and 2 wheats, I decided to buy 2 development cards, hoping to get the final point that would give me the victory. I got it and I claimed my victory, but my mother said that I had to wait a turn for playing it, as for any development card. We went to the rules, and one of the rules said that development cards couldn't be played the same turn that they where played, whereas another rule said that victory point cards should be played when you are sure that you got the 10 points. I argued that this one was an exception of the previous rule, and my mother said that the first rule was the one that had to be followed. So my question is, who was right?

please excuse me for the mistakes, as english is not my first language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martin
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I recall correctly, the winner is the first player to accumulate 10 points on their turn. You were correct in citing the exception to the rule about holding development cards for a full turn. Purchasing a victory point card on your turn that puts you at 10 points does immediately grant you victory. You do not have to wait a full round to reveal the card.

Where this gets more complex is when playing with 5-6 players. In the expanded game, players are allowed to build development cards between turns. Assume for the moment that you are player 1 in a 5 player game. It would be possible to acquire the final victory point between the turns of players 3 and 4. You would then have to wait until your turn to reveal it and declare victory. If you bought a development card that was not a victory point, you would actually have to wait until your second turn to play it, as you must hold the card for one full round (meaning till the point between players 3 and 4) before you can play it. Finally, the "on your turn" portion of the rules means that if you buy your winning victory point between players 3 and 4, and then player 5 gets to 10 points before it becomes your turn again, player 5 would win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tsar Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Fourth Edition rules say you are right..page 5 bottom of page:

Quote:
You may play any number of Victory Point Cards during your turn, even during the turn you purchase them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for the difference is that victory point cards are never played. Simply owning them gives you the points. To prove you have won you will show the cards to your opponents - but you still aren't playing them, you are are just proving that you have them. I'm pretty sure that earlier versions of the rules made this distinction fairly clear, although it sounds like the newest edition talks about "playing" the VP cards instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't argue with your mother!

(Even though she was wrong, as stated in the rules.)

=][=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martinmcu wrote:
If you bought a development card that was not a victory point, you would actually have to wait until your second turn to play it, as you must hold the card for one full round before you can play it.

I don't believe this is true. If you buy a development card during the special build phase, you can play it as soon as your turn comes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
your mother is right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John_VW wrote:
your mother is right...

From the rules, emphasis is mine. I suppose people have different rulebooks.

Victory Point Cards
VP cards provide an extra Victory Point towards winning. They are played differently from other developement cards. VP cards are kept hidden from the other players until their owner has 10 Victory Points, including the cards. The owner then plays all his VP cards at once to achieve victory. A player can play as many VP cards as he wants (even if he has already played another Developement card), and can even play them on the turn that they are drawn.

=][=

Edit for variant: There is a variant in the rules that covers this, though:

If a player wants a change of pace, try some of these alternate rules:
1. Victory Point cards are played like all other Development cards. Only one can be played each turn, and they cannot be played immediately upon drawing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martin
United States
Colorado Springs
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
queenc wrote:
martinmcu wrote:
If you bought a development card that was not a victory point, you would actually have to wait until your second turn to play it, as you must hold the card for one full round before you can play it.

I don't believe this is true. If you buy a development card during the special build phase, you can play it as soon as your turn comes around.

Alas that I don't have my rules with me! I would love to clarify this, as it's actually come up in 5-6 player games that I've played, and would love to know if we've been playing incorrectly. Anyone with a rules quote?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Dickson
United States
National City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a rules quote, but I will mention it's one of the reasons we play with expanded robber instead of the inter-player buy turn. In other words, with 5 people, the robber only affects 9 or more cards, and with 6, 10 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According Guido Teuber should Mayfair follow the official German rules from their 4th editions. And according to the official FAQ can a player only win during his own turn.

So no matter how many points a player has acquired during another player's turn, he cannot declare victory until he has received the dice. But he don't have to roll them, as his turn has begun before he rolls the dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martinmcu wrote:
queenc wrote:
martinmcu wrote:

Alas that I don't have my rules with me! I would love to clarify this, as it's actually come up in 5-6 player games that I've played, and would love to know if we've been playing incorrectly. Anyone with a rules quote?

The only thing the 5-6 player rules say about Development Cards is that you can play your Development Card only on your turn, not during the Special Building Phase. It also does reiterate the original rules-- that you can't play a Development Card the same turn you build it.

This indicates to me that we can build during the Special Building Phase, then play on our turn. We are following all the rules that they give us.

Also, The Cities and Knights 5-6 player rules do specifically state that you can activate a Knight during the Special Building Phase, then use him on your turn. Since these Knights are just an alternate application of the Development Card Knights, it makes sense that the Development Cards are the same way in Settlers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.