New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
RPGgeek is on the horizon, and it is very possible that the Geekdo brand won't stop with just board games and RPGs, and there have already been suggestions made about including Geekdo franchises for movies, video games, etc.

The plan was originally to have separate Chit Chats for each site. However some concerns have been expressed about such a model. Specifically, there were many who voiced a desire to have a single Chit Chat that is the same across both BGG and RPG and any future geekdo sites.

I certainly see compelling arguments on both sides. Having Chit Chat threads collected all in a single place is certainly more convenient. With separate forums it is possible some people will choose to post the same thing on each site. Also, some people may not wish to follow multiple Chit Chats and may choose to only frequent one version, depriving the others of his/her presence.

On the other hand, part of the charm of Chit Chat is that we all have a common appreciation of board games, and this common appreciation certainly lends itself to flavoring several of the topics of conversation, even if games aren't the main topic of discussion. That would certainly be diluted (if not entirely lost) with the inclusion of RPGgeek, and the possible expansion to other areas (like movies, comics, video games, etc). Not to mention that volume will increase significantly as non-board gamers join the other sites and forums.

So...here is a poll to collect opinions on the matter:

Poll
Would you prefer to see separate Chit Chat forums on each site or would you prefer to see a single Chit Chat that spans all of the sites?
There should be separate Chit Chats for each version of geekdo.
There should be a single combined Chit Chat that is unified across all geekdo sites.
      122 answers
Poll created by Octavian

Poll
How would you feel about having BOTH a BGG specific Chit Chat as well as a geekdo-wide Chit Chat?
Great! This is the best of both worlds.
Okay. Not great, but I could live with it.
Ugh. I don't care for this idea.
      116 answers
Poll created by Octavian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Heinrich
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Contact me to play a RPG forum game!!
mbmbmbmbmb
"There can be Only ONE!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of individual chit chats but also have some unified forum which inherently would be "off topic" Sort of "geekdo general."

I totally agree that one of the reasons we all generally get on with each other is commonality and mixing in, not so much rpgers but much beyond that would lose much of the charm for me (or at least that is my impression).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the early responders, please note that I've added a second poll in the original post above.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm in favor of separate forums. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the number of posts as it is. Double or triple that and talk about not reading posts any more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm free-basing midichloriens and the force is, like, an energy that connects and penetrates us all, man.
United States
Saint Ann
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekdont
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
heinrichsteven wrote:
"There can be Only ONE!"

Exactly. In my opinion we really needed a

chitchat.geekdo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Funny, the thread I posted that started this whole discussion was just a goof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
ONE CHIT CHAT.

We need to be the darkest, most dissonant chapter in those RPG'ers new life here. Viva la revolucion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Chit-Chats enter but only one shall leave...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Seems that separate but equal hasn't worked out in the past...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A near dead-even draw. These results really help Octavian...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like something that will be hated no matter what

Interested to see what the results look like after the people who actually have to sleep at night have a chance to wake up and weigh in.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Interested to see what the results look like after the people who actually have to sleep at night have a chance to wake up and weigh in.

-MMM

You could have one that is separate and another one that is joined. See how easy that was?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
All everyone needs to help settle any niggling anxieties and qualms is a good overall flowchart view from Aldie and crew of how boardgamegeek.com, rpggeek.com, geekdo.com, Chit Chat, RSP and any future spin-off forums and sites are going to simply and harmoniously fit & work together...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very afraid of the crowd that a succesful VideoGameGeek will attract, so I vote for a pre-emptive seperate BGG CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

You could have one that is separate and another one that is joined. See how easy that was?

True. Only 40% of people don't like that idea.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hunt
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with a combined "off topic" area is what's off topic to one is on topic to another.

What would you think about photo.geekdo.com members talking in chit chat about this new unusual but cool game called Carcassonne that they've just found out about? Off topic for them...

what would the cooking.geekdo.com members think about our recipes? Surely we should keep them out of the off topic forum...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It can't be that hard to satisfy and integrate 56 additional different types of geeks into one cohesive site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knock knock open up the door it's Riel
Netherlands
Tilburg
It's wurples all the way down.
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Happy Oak Leaf!
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:

Geekdo
>>Forums
>>Everything Else
>> RSP
>> Off-topic
>> Boardgamers' Coffee Haus
>> RPG'ers' Tavern
>> Videogamers' Virtual Cantina
>> Chinese-foodies' Restaurant

&c.?

And then allow users to either view off-topic as a whole (sorted hot, recent, or active) or a subforum. And have all the off-topic subforums be accessible from all sites. Would that be possible?

Edit: And make the forum filter setting more obvious. So you can view the off-topic forum, without the videogamers' threads, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
I have voted soley on the idea of the upcoming RPG site. I am quite sure, that there is enough overlap between boardgamers and roleplayers to make a good mixed crowd possible.
If GeekDo really expands further at some point in the future, it might be wise to split the off-topic forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikku wrote:
I'm very afraid of the crowd that a succesful VideoGameGeek will attract, so I vote for a pre-emptive seperate BGG CC.

i am sure they would be equally wary of a bunch of dorky board gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
The more Chit Chat the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no winning answer here. I am going to go along with those worried about the crowd drawn by a video game geek, my experiences with Xbox live taught me there are a lot of people in the video game crowd I would not want to talk to without being paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Each site should have unique chit chat.

Then there should ALSO be "The Arena", where the content is shared globally to all the geeks. Let the poster decide, and usage will determine what flourishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.