New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
RPGgeek is on the horizon, and it is very possible that the Geekdo brand won't stop with just board games and RPGs, and there have already been suggestions made about including Geekdo franchises for movies, video games, etc.

The plan was originally to have separate RSPs for each site. However some concerns have been expressed about such a model. Specifically, there were many who voiced a desire to have a single RSP that is the same across both BGG and RPG and any future geekdo sites.

I certainly see compelling arguments on both sides. Having RSP threads collected all in a single place is certainly more convenient. With separate forums it is possible some people will choose to post the same thing on each site. Also, some people may not wish to follow multiple RSPs and may choose to only frequent one version, depriving the others of his/her presence.

On the other hand, part of the charm of RSP is that we all have a common appreciation of board games, and this common appreciation certainly lends itself to flavoring several of the topics of conversation, even if games aren't the main topic of discussion. That would certainly be diluted (if not entirely lost) with the inclusion of RPGgeek, and the possible expansion to other areas (like movies, comics, video games, etc). Not to mention that volume will increase significantly as non-board gamers join the other sites and forums.

So...here is a poll to collect opinions on the matter:

Poll
Would you prefer to see separate RSP forums on each site or would you prefer to see a single RSP that spans all of the sites?
There should be separate RSPs for each version of geekdo.
There should be a single combined RSP that is unified across all geekdo sites.
      112 answers
Poll created by Octavian

Poll
How would you feel about having BOTH a BGG specific RSP as well as a geekdo-wide RSP?
Great! This is the best of both worlds.
Okay. Not great, but I could live with it.
Ugh. I don't care for this idea.
      110 answers
Poll created by Octavian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
For the early responders, please note that I've added a second poll in the original post above.

Thanks!

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
GAWD wrote:
Will we need to set up new accounts for each version of geekdo? Or will we be able to keep our old accounts, with screen names, avatars, badges, etc ... ?

No need to make new accounts. Your BGG account will log you into any geekdo site and all your collected flare will likewise follow you.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Promise me there won't be any squares at my funeral
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see the conversation getting dumber if we let the general public (comic book fans and the like) tool around in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I can see the conversation getting dumber if we let the general public (comic book fans and the like) tool around in here.

Dumber than boardgamers? I didn't know that was possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Octavian wrote:
Your BGG account will log you into any geekdo site and all your collected flare will likewise follow you.

Will user blocking follow as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Aldaron wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Your BGG account will log you into any geekdo site and all your collected flare will likewise follow you.

Will user blocking follow as well?

It should work on any other geekdo site exactly as you have it set currently on BGG.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:
sbszine wrote:

Dumber than boardgamers? I didn't know that was possible!

Go take a look at the comments section of Joystiq, or to a gamefaqs forum. They'd not be able to spell dumb if we spot them 3 letters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally the BGG crowd is pretty intelligent and mature. If the RSP floodgates opened my site browsing might slow down even more from daily to weekly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:

As opposed to the IQ testing and steep fees that we're assessing to those who visit now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see that the BGG admins are sticking to their site-wide policy of not explaining what the fuck a "geekdo" is, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
CapAp wrote:
I'm glad to see that the BGG admins are sticking to their site-wide policy of not explaining what the fuck a "geekdo" is, ever.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3660104#3660104

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3662106#3662106

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3664100#3664100

To sum up, geekdo will be the umbrella domain under which BGG, RPGg, and any future sites will fall (www.boardgamegeek.com will still get you here if you prefer that).

The official pronunciation is "geek-doe" and is roughly translated to "The Way of the Geek", though alternate meanings have also been suggested. Go with whichever one you like most/dislike least.

Feel free to ask additional questions not covered here or in the links above and I'll do what I can do answer them.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the boardgames tie us together! How can you dilute that? We are exclusive rather than inclusive, even us lurkers. I for one am NOT looking forward to tons op silly references to and inside jokes about comics, RPG's and whatsnot. I will be able to understand even less than I do now cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
What exactly is your avatar, sbszine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I think I would become much less involved in a "unified" site eventually.

RSP might maintain the same respectful and small community feel with just the RPG addition... though I would fear even that, but if you added comics, movies and who knows what else I think it is going to get overloaded.

The traffic level would be likely to become unwieldy quickly and once the small community feel gets diluted people are much more likely to feel it is ok to be really rude.

Plus playful in jokes become harder to indulge in without potential misunderstandings with a larger "transient" influx.

I would most certainly cut way back on my TMI princess level of openness. Though I am sure for some people that will be seen as a plus. There are others I think who would view it as a loss. I think others who feel safe to be their "real self" here might also cut back and reveal less about who they genuinely are. Which I think would be a loss all around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
My first thought was 'sure add them'. Then the thought of having 30 more rabid politicos hit and I thought, 'NO!!!!'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have belonged to dozens of e-fora over the years, especially ones on the trio of topics represented here. Only one of those has remained civil & intelligent enough for me to stick around. The rest I've left to the wingnuts and anger-management candidates who eventually swamped them. If it happens here, I wouldn't hesitate to put RSP/Chit Chat behind me, either.

Of course, I realise my one-man contributions are significantly less valuable to the admins running a business than the hundreds (thousands?) of new users that will surely flock to this forum. So the above is not a plea, more a resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

On the other hand, part of the charm of RSP is that we all have a common appreciation of board games, and this common appreciation certainly lends itself to flavoring several of the topics of conversation, even if games aren't the main topic of discussion.

This is hardly an issue in my view- when in RSP I often forget that I'm even at a boardgame site.

The real issue is what Lynette has pointed out- when the crowd gets bigger it gets more impersonal and people have less of a problem being total assholes since there is little sense of community.

The current civility in this forum is impressive, especially if you look at how such virulently opposed personalities not only get along but on some level have a camaraderie as prominent members of this forum. If you added 50 Tripps, 50 Chapels, 50 DesJardines, etc... I'm sure you'd see things get ugly as any sense (however small) of personal accountability would be lost.

But alas, it is inevitable that this should happen eventually, GeekPoo or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think that there should be a significant effort to maintain the charm and environment of BGG while expanding the geekdo umbrella.

Once the decision to expand was made, you accept that things will change, but I would really urge y'all to make every effort to maintain individual and unique flavors, and hopefully that will ultimately provide a wonderful unified bouquet.

Like everyone else my biggest fear is that an influx of people who do not share our base interests would cause many of us to participate far less, or at worst, not at all. Perhaps it is unfounded, who knows, but I think that is the core worry for many of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My core worry is that some of you RPGers would migrate to the other forums. But if guys like Kevin still stick around here, I will support the old community staying what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
If you added 50 Tripps, 50 Chapels, 50 DesJardines, etc... I'm sure you'd see things get ugly as any sense (however small) of personal accountability would be lost.

There's a natural size to such forums. They don't get bigger just because you're drawing from a bigger pool of potential participants. Instead, what happens is the volume drives away a larger fraction of those participants, and they stabilize at nearly the same volume of posters (with a longer tail of infrequent posters and lurkers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
RSP is RSP is RSP. It's not going to be context specific like Chit CHat may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
I like that despite our differences we have one thing in common, our love for games. It's the sort of glue that keeps some pretty strong RPS confrontations from going totally off the scales, I think. It's much easier to forgive a gamer, or be a lit more lenient because you "know" them from other posts on the site. We are all contributors, it is hard to stay upset for very long. I think we all value each other, even when we disagree. That sense of "value" disappears the moment you talk to folk you don't know as well, or who haven't got their roots in BGG. Anyone who shows up here I have something nice in common with. That realization helps.

Grudges with strangers with which you have next to nothing in common are harder to ignore, I think. I also think there are the occasional cross-references to games that bring some fun and entertainment, and would be lost on a wider public.

It's a common band that I would miss with folk who are into other things that don't interest me.

Over time, most people have expressed that this RSP forum differs from most other similar forums they have been upon, and it's the more mature and measured attitude that most bring to BGG that not only makes BGG quite something, but RSP too.

I'd hate to lose it, and to be frank, taking this little corner outside the BGG borders, I can only see it become something I will tune out of, over time, given my experience with all other similar-ish sites so far. I think we will lose what makes our RSP special. All speculation, for no other reason than that's my hunch.

I don't mind change, but I do mind it if it takes away the one bit I like a lot, the heart of the place. I can understand the drive of the owners to use the amazing platform behind BGG to other avenues, and I appreciate the attempts made to keep things separate, but integrated.

Talking through the consequences here is appreciated Octavian, but it's exactly questions/discussions/proposals like this, to me, show that a culture shift here is almost unavoidable. This constant drive to reach more people is nice, but maybe not what I am looking for. And I am certainly a bit weary about this whole GeekDo thing.

Even "just" RPG will bring in a different type of user, and judging by the forums I have been on in the past, I could see the atmosphere there be far more tit-for-tat than has been the norm on BGG. I do hope you have a solid set of trained up moderators in place.

I can see also see this breaking into new terrains work well for many people, and certainly for the owners, I think I am a lit less likely to contribute to something that doesn't, to me, feel like "totally for us, by us" any more. And that is from someone who would kill to have something like BGG for my movies, RPGs, and DVD collection. Just not a large sway of the users that I find on similar sites. Seriously different atmosphere on many places, I think there is something about board gamers that is quite a valuable thing, for a community driven site.

I am fully aware I am just one user whose presence would not be missed. But it's one reason I am glad I am still the owner of my own contributions. I applaud Aldie for making something this good, and I wish all folk people well, but I'm starting to hear things that worry me, and make me wonder how I will feel about this place in 3 years time.

It's the shift in focus and this constant drive to attract new users that troubles me most. I'm sure GeekDo will be brilliant. I'm not sure it will bring the brilliance to me, and to be frank, I am not even sure I want to be part of it all. It is almost secondary to the question of a communal RSP group.

I might be totally wrong, and ready to be pleasantly surprised. But so far, I do know I'm not as glad as some others when I heard about GeekDo. (and sorry again, a crap name choice to my ears).

God, I must be grumpy today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
RSP is RSP is RSP. It's not going to be context specific like Chit CHat may be.

True, but my point is that I enjoy the banter with y'all because at some level we have a common interest we can relate to each other at. I think a unified RSP, a NeoTripp would just flat out piss me off, rather than piss me off but I can get over it Ish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question about how the second poll situation would work.

Would it be like this:

Geekdo
┌ ─ ─ ┬ ─ ┴ ─ ┬ ─ ─ ┐
BGG RPGG VGG CinemaGeek

If I post in BGG RSP then the thread is visible in BGG and Geekdo, but not the others? If I post in Geekdo RSP then only those in Geekdo can see it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.