Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can abilities of your cards that simply state 'a character' target either player's characters? Some cards are obvious because they say Sacrifice (something only you can do) or they stipulate 'character controlled by an opponent'. But other cards, like the Forced Response of T-Men, aren't so specific. T-Men wounds a character when it enters play. Considering the card's cost, I would think that it would be wounding an opponent's character, but it's still a pretty powerful card, so presumably it could wound something of yours. I don't think so, but that's why I'm asking.

Can Actions that require payment of resources be used multiple times? Like Shotgun: Pay 1 to choose and wound a character committed to this story. It doesn't exhaust either the character Shotgun is attached to or Shotgun itself, so I'm presuming you can use it as long as you're willing to pay the cost for it, right? And can multiple actions of that sort be taken in the same phase? Can I pay Shotgun three times in the Terror phase to eliminate characters I don't want to face in the Combat phase? Or can I only activate Shotgun once per phase?

Also, slightly off-topic, will cards from the basic set appear (or have they already appeared) in Asylum Packs? I'm presuming so, since there are really useful cards in the basic set that I'd like to have more copies of without shelling out another $35.

Thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are, for the most part, to be taken literally. Unless it specifically says "character you control", you can use it on whomever you want.

If the card doesn't exhaust itself, then you can in fact use it multiple times, as long as you can pay for it.

No core set cards have appeared in the Asylum Packs, and I doubt that they will, as "20 new cards" seems to be one of the primary selling points of the APs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers.

On the card availability, would that be why cards like Shotgun, for example, seem to be a step up in power level/ease of cost from cards that showed up in Mountains and Horrors (the two Asylum packs that I have)?

Also, could you possibly explain the general theme behind the factions and how they might work together? My brief review of the cards tonight leads me to believe that Yog-Sothoth and Miskatonic are largely about discard and hand/deck/'graveyard' manipulation, akin to Black from M:TG? Is that about right? (I played tournament Magic for a decade or so and played all 5 colors, but mostly Black and Blue.) Obviously, Yog tends toward Terror and Miskatonic toward Investigation as far as struggles are concerned.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with all of Brad's comments above, with a couple of additional details:

For T-Men in particular, you choose an opponent's character to wound when they come into play, but the catch is if you want to bring them into play when your opponent doesn't have any characters, then you would have to wound one of your own.

For Shotgun, you can trigger it multiple times in one story phase as you say, but technically, you can't actually do it in between the Terror Struggle and the Combat Struggle. You'd have to do it just before the Struggles begin, or just after. The 4 Struggles are all an atomic occurrence that you can't interrupt with responses. In most cases that won't really make much of a difference to you - you just do your shooting before the Struggles begin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The core set of cards is just a representative sampling of cards from the original CCG version of the game which are intended to give you a flavor of the different factions as a starting point. I really don't think any of them are necessarily meant to be more powerful / harder to get. Each card should be viewed on its own merits in terms of cost/benefit. Different factions tend to get certain abilities more cheaply than others.

Miskatonic - strong on Investigation and card drawing effects
Agency - strong on Combat and destruction/wounding effects
Syndicate - mix of Combat/Investigation and strong on exhausting effects

All of the factions have roughly equal smatterings of Arcane. The 3 human factions have little or no Terror, while all 4 monster factions have quite a bit of Terror. Additionally:

Yog Sothoth - strong on spells / magic effects
Hastur - strong on insanity (and discard) effects (extra emphasis on Terror)
Cthulhu - strong on destruction effects (plus emphasis on Combat)
Shub Niggurath - strong on regeneration / creature generation effects (tends to have more big, cheap creatures)

I don't think there's a real easy way to make comparisons to MtG colors - I guess Shub would be Green (creatures/regen), Miskatonic might be Blue (card manip) with a bit of White (good/protection), Yog is sort of Blue-ish (magic), Agency would be Red (direct damage), Cthulhu would probably be Black (destruction) with a hint of Blue (control). It's a stretch, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. Thanks.

The character ability thing is sinking in now. The language is just mildly different from M:TG tropes (and I haven't played the latter regularly for 6 or 7 years now.) I look at Demented Caretaker (Syndicate) and it says: "Upon entering play, choose and exhaust a character or Sacrifice Demented Caretaker." Now, in Magic, that exhaust (tapping) of a character (creature) would almost always be your own, especially on a creature with a Sac condition. But I look at the Caretaker and realize that he's a cheap character that you would probably play early in the game EXCEPT that you have to either wait until your opponent has a ready character to exhaust or choose to exhaust one of your own as a condition for his cheap cost. That's a somewhat more layered or interactive approach than Magic usually allows for (or did while I played; e.g. paying a cost for a character with your opponent's characters/creatures.), which is cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I have the most trouble with are the "if..then" and "if able" clauses on some of the cards. With the if..thens you have to be able to do one to do the other, and the if able doesn't have that same restrictions. I think. The FAQ tries to make this clear, but even with that, it seems pretty muddled.

For example there is a card, (Opening the Limbo Gate?) that says do something and then each player takes one character card from their discard into their hand. If your opponent doesn't have a character in their discard pile, you can't do the first part. May be a story card like that as well. Those are the tricky things I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.