4 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First game of Battlestar Galactica, rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GEOFF GUTTERSON
Australia
flag msg tools
DON'T TELL MY WIFE I SPENT ALL MY GEEKGOLD ON OVERTEXT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally got BSG on the table with my regular group. Of the 5 of us only 1 had played before so a quick run thru of the rulz and everyone was ready. The crew was made up of
Prez Gauis Baltar
Adm William Adama (me)
Boomer
Starbuck
Tom Zarek

2 of the first 3 characters being Boomer and Gauis showed a general eagerness in the group to be the first Cylon!

Got through the first jump unscathed, all looked healthy but some suspicious activity already from Starbuck. First jump only took us 1 distance to Ragnar station (Nice coincidence to follow the series plot line on our first jump)

Opportunity arrives for Gauis to look at both Starbuck's and Boomers loyalty cards over a couple of turns. Initially Prez Gais doesn't call for either to be brigged as a toaster until we remind him that under the secrecy rules he can't show us the loyalty cards, but he can still point a finger and say "Shoot the toaster". We pass this off as a newbie mistake and Prez calls for us to brig Starbuck a.k.a Caprica 6.1

Starbuck declares innocence but an earlier check had 3 engineering cards against us so we knew either Boomer, Starbuck or Gauis was a cylon and another earlier mistake had us already suspicious of Starbuck. So its off to the brig before Starbuck's next turn. The humans promptly congratulate ourselves on catching the skin job and make our second jump. Distance 1 but land right in the tylium refinery. Everything is good, fuel tanks get topped up and all resources near full and a cylon in the brig. I'm a bit concerned that we have made 2 jumps and only gone 2 distance. If I wasn't the admiral I would consider it suspicious that the admiral had only gone such a short distance. Hope no one else thinks this.
We await the inevitable demise and resurrection of caprica 6.1 on her next turn which arrives. Surprisingly Starbuck does not commit suicide hmmm.. is it a ploy or have we screwed up! Emergency consultation and its time to strip Prez Gauis of his title. President not too happy obviously that we don't trust him but can't beat our numbers. Tom Zarek assumes the presidents office. But we can't get Gauis in the brig before he reveals his true skin job self by putting a couple of bullets through my chest. Lucky Doc Cottle was around to patch me up in sick bay

Time to get starbuck out of the brig. Sorry about that Starbuck, you know you're like a daughter to me.

Next couple of turns go well, cylon fleets appear and we beat them off. Cylon Gauis despairs as starbuck and boomer blast hundreds of raiders into little space junk and we finally get a nice 3 distance jump. Confident we have 4 humans and 1 revealed cylon the next round of loyalty cards are handed out. My second card is also human so I start again looking suspiciously at my fellow humans. We pass a few more checks and blast some more fleets. Scouting has served us reasonably well and getting plenty of jump icons. Feeling confident that Prez Tom Zarek is human but not sure on the pilots. Got a big crisis happening with no IC when Starbuck dumps a lot of cards. We fail badly and clearly must have been Starbuck. Damn we hastily gather the marines and drag her sorry arse back to the brig again. This time there are no innocent protests and Starbuck reveals and goes to the resurrection ship. We got hurt a little on some resources but make our jump to distance 8 with plenty of everything (at least 3 or 4 on every dial). Things are looking good for the humans and the cylons despair of being able to harm us.
My turn brings up the first crisis on our last attempt to jump. Decide to send our last remaining raptor to check out that star system ahead. I've got a strat plan 4 I could use to add to the dice roll but feeling lucky and wanted to keep my cards for future crisis checks. Rolled a 2. Damn, raptor pilots can't read nav charts. SO I've failed my last chance to scout and draw my crisis card. Damn cylon fleet jumps in and starts shooting. (Should have used the SP and would have avoided this)
We're a long way from jumping and civvies everywhere. lucky our pop is 5 and fuel and morale are in no danger so we can afford to lose a couple of civvies. Boomer starts to urgently repair our 7 damaged vipers (Where is chief tyrol when you need him) Still ok the raiders have a way to go before they get some kills. Then its Starbuck's (aka caprica 6.1) turn. Time for our first supercrisis. Aaah massive assult, more basestars, raiders and everything shooting. We're no chance to make the skill check and we take a lot of hits. Zarek Xo's Boomer to get stuff repaired but there is just too many broken vipers and Galactica locations hit. Our one working viper is badly outnumbered and we start losing civvies. Oooh the humanity.... Tom Zarek pulls his crisis. No jump icon and more raiders activate, more civvies gone. Next up is ex Prez Gauis .. aka Toaster no.1.. and its all over with the civilian fleet decimated and down to zero pop. Cylons win from what was going to be a comfortable human victory. How different it might have been if I'd done some planning on that last scout check. MY resignation as fleet admiral is promptly signed and delivered.

All in all a great night and worth the hot water I was in when I got home to the wife a 3am. I promise Honey, it won't happen again ....its not my fault...they made me do it..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why we never start these games late. We always try to start no later than 3pm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being Admiral takes time - the wife should understand this though don't follow the theme here! Great report - concise and a good read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
That's why we never start these games late. We always try to start no later than 3pm.

Granted, it's slower with new players, but even with several newbies a slow game doesn't run more than 4 hours. You must have very tight curfew. But I'm with you on not starting to late (say, 7pm).

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.