Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering how many of you play with this house rule?

If there are two Locomotives showing, and there are two non-locmotive cards that you want, we play with house rule that you may draw both cards "at once" and not risk showing a locomotive that would blow out the other non-locomotive card that you want.

It seems like a pretty innocuous house-rule, but I was wondering if any of the experienced players thinks this might affect the dynamics of the game in ways I'm not thinking of.

I bought the game a couple weeks ago and am totally loving it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play that if there are two locomitives showing - no, you cannot draw two cards at once. I don't think the "house rule" that you can do that impacts the game greatly, but then again I see no reason to change what the actual rules state just because some people feel entitled to grabbing two for the price of one.

Also, you get five new cards anyway (which means anothe chance to get what you want) AND you can draw from the top of the deck, too. So it doesn't really ruin the game for the player who got hit with the third-lcoomotive bomb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:
We usually play that if there are two locomitives showing - no, you cannot draw two cards at once. I don't think the "house rule" that you can do that impacts the game greatly, but then again I see no reason to change what the actual rules state just because some people feel entitled to grabbing two for the price of one.

Also, you get five new cards anyway (which means anothe chance to get what you want) AND you can draw from the top of the deck, too. So it doesn't really ruin the game for the player who got hit with the third-lcoomotive bomb.
It can change the game. If said player wanted 2 green train cards, and the next card up was the "3rd loco bomb" after grabbing the 1st green, now that player needs to hope that a green will appear in the next set of face up cards. Otherwise, hopes he gets a green or loco in the top draw. For better or for worse, this is how the rules are written. I stick with this rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Walker Jr
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a stickler in my game group that does not allow the double grab, and will "ah ah ah only one" whoever tries to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
perrywalkerjr wrote:
There is a stickler in my game group that does not allow the double grab, and will "ah ah ah only one" whoever tries to do it.

Everyone in my game group is this stickler. None of us would ever dream of taking 2, just to cheat the system a little.

I also don't think it's that hard to follow this rule. It adds a little drama, and that's always good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Even when we are sure we don't want any of the visible cards, we'll take one off the top, look at it, then take the second off the top. It's not as though there's a problem with taking two off the top simultaneously, but it's so close to something where it matters, that we follow the rule closely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem letting someone pick up two cards at once since it speeds the game along. "I'll take white and orange" is quicker than the alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
I have no problem letting someone pick up two cards at once since it speeds the game along. "I'll take white and orange" is quicker than the alternative.

Enter a stickler... me.

In the rare case it comes up that the first flipped up card is a Locomotive, you can just say, "Oh, clear the deck! You said white and orange, so give me back that orange, let's put out 5 fresh cards, now, which do you want?"

Just as fast, and now you are playing by the rules.

Of course, I am a stickler, and if you are your group are fine you way, I say, keep on gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
It seems like a pretty innocuous house-rule, but I was wondering if any of the experienced players thinks this might affect the dynamics of the game in ways I'm not thinking of.

If no one in your group EVER plans on playing at a convention or a game club, it probably wouldn't cause any problems...

But if your house rule becomes so ingrained that you think of it as the only way to play, it will put you at a disadvantage if you play with other folks.

We've got some house rules for Carcassonne, but we make sure we clear the deck and get in a game "by the book" every now and then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:

If there are two Locomotives showing, and there are two non-locmotive cards that you want, we play with house rule that you may draw both cards "at once" and not risk showing a locomotive that would blow out the other non-locomotive card that you want.

Not really sure why it matters if you take two at the same time or not.The result is the same. You have to replace the open face cards. Does not really matter if you do one at a time or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keso55 wrote:
aaarg_ink wrote:

Not really sure why it matters if you take two at the same time or not.The result is the same. You have to replace the open face cards. Does not really matter if you do one at a time or two.

Thread from the dead!

Subscription from the dead too!

To answer the post, there is a difference if there are 2 locomotives in the display cards. If you play by the exact rules, and draw 1, and it is replaced by a locomotive, then you need to wipe the display, and put out 5 new cards. The other card you wanted may not have a replacement.

There is a small diference. But like I said... over 2 years ago, it doesn't take that much more to play by the rules, and if you play with this small change, I think 99% of the game is still there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering when this thread will go live again!

No, wait. I wasn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the geniusboy
msg tools
I just look at it from this perspective: The 3-card rule is intended to keep the face-up cards fresh. I don't see the purpose in arbitrary drama (resetting the deck mid-turn). There aren't really any other mechanisms like this in the game. The drama is from player-on-player competition, not random mid-turn shenanigans. The house rule preserves this reset-function, keeping the deck fresh.

To me, the added drama does not seem in the spirit of the game, so this house rule which preserves the purpose of the 3-card rule (deck-reset) should be fine.

Of course, if you intend to play with sticklers, you may as well just follow it to the letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This.Thread.Is.Two.Years.Old. Can't you check the friggin date?

OP has either resolved his issue, or even moved on, married, had three children, six grandchildren, died of old age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now now. He's new here, and has just as much right to post his opinion on a rule as anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegeniusboy05 wrote:
I just look at it from this perspective: The 3-card rule is intended to keep the face-up cards fresh. I don't see the purpose in arbitrary drama (resetting the deck mid-turn). There aren't really any other mechanisms like this in the game. The drama is from player-on-player competition, not random mid-turn shenanigans. The house rule preserves this reset-function, keeping the deck fresh.

To me, the added drama does not seem in the spirit of the game, so this house rule which preserves the purpose of the 3-card rule (deck-reset) should be fine.

Of course, if you intend to play with sticklers, you may as well just follow it to the letter.

btw now that my attention was brought to this thread...this encapsulates perfectly what I'm thinking. Now I have a good conceptual reason to play with a house rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

OP has either resolved his issue, or even moved on, married, had three children, six grandchildren, died of old age.

(un)fortunately none of that has happened to me yet...though we are ring shopping at the moment!

As for the thread, until Octavian kills a thread, its alive and kicking and fair game for revival....lord knows I do it all the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
baba44713 wrote:

That's two snarky comments about people commenting on this "dead" thread in a three month period.

Seriously, if it bothers you that much, why are you reading it?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
New users joining the site to share their thoughts about games? Pshaw...why would we want to encourage that!

Seriously, though...welcome to the site, geniusboy. Sorry for the unwarranted hostility you encountered. Hope you're having a happy holidays!

Remember, everyone - if you see something you want to react negatively to, flag it and forget it.

Using the icon serves two functions - first, if enough users flag a post then it will be collapsed from general view. Second, flagging posts helps bring them to the attention of the forum moderators.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is from the English TtR rules on the Days of Wonder web site, first under Game Turn
Quote:
Draw Train Car Cards – The player may draw 2 Train Car cards. He may take any one of the face-up cards or he may draw the top card from the deck (this is a blind draw). If he draws a face up card, he immediately turns a replacement card face-up from the deck. He then draws his second card, either from the face up cards or from the top of the deck. (See Train Car Cards for special rules for Locomotive cards)

then under Train Car Cards, which makes reference to flushing the face-up cards:

Quote:
...If at any time, three of the five face-up cards are Locomotives, all five cards are immediately discarded and five new ones are turned face-up to replace them.

I will also mention that the Ticket to Ride computer game forces a player to draw one card at a time (regardless of face-up or blind). Flushing of the face-up tableau thus can happen mid-turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.