Popular Tags: [View All]
Omar Germino
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone ever noticed that the story at the beginning of the instruction manual doesn't quite match up with the illustration below it? (cf. http://static.ticket2ridegame.com/lang/english/images/tt_rul...). The story is about a group of five friends who "attended University together." I find it difficult to believe that all five of those people went to the same university at the same time, especially the kid in green. (Perhaps he was a young prodigy?)

Now, I'm not saying this is an error, or indeed that the illustration must match exactly with the writing. I'm merely pointing out an observation I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes perfect sense. You see, those people are aliens.

Look at the gameplay. You travel by "claiming" routes, and when you claim one noone can use that route anymore. This means that the alien who uses one route probably obliterates it as well with his alien technology. This technology uses giant railcar-like structures that drop from the sky and utterly destroy that path, so no other alien can use it. Unless if it's a double route, which means that it can take up to two alien onslaughts.

There is further evidence of alien conspiracy. You see, you don't have to claim routes sequentially. So in addition to creating vast amounts of property damage these aliens are teleporting all over the place.

Learn to read between the lines. The truth is out there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mars
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never thought that the actual game matched the backstory at all. I always think of it as building routes for my railway empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Yap
Philippines
Pasig City
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ticket to Ride has a backstory? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those people on the cover are just random people at the train station. The five friends are already aboard.

The big problem, for me, is how the game and backstory mesh up:

1. "Visit the most cities", the goal cited in the story, is in no way a goal of the game itself.

2. The number of trains is not divisible by 80, the number of days they supposedly had to visit all these cities.

3. If it's really about one person's route across the US, then all of your routes should be contiguous AT ALL TIMES, and there shouldn't be any branches.

If TtR does have a theme, it's building a railway, not some absurd bet between affluent college buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite 'box back' description is TtR Nordic Countries. I paraphrase...

"smell the salt air of such and such region...", "view the majestic mountains of some other Nordic Country...", "ride the famous rails of some 3rd country in that region...".

That's bullocks. If that were a video game, then maybe I can take in the wonderful sites. Fact is, you're just plopping plastic trains down on a board. It's a delightful, fun, but still challenging mechanism, but it has NOTHING to do with that description at all. Lowest common denominator indeed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.