Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Moore
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter Top Promoter
badge
Does (Top Promoter) subliminal (Top Promoter) advertising (Top Promoter) really (Top Promoter) work?
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, with the tile flinging of the catapult, to now a totally random feature added to the game, I think Carcassonne has officially jumped the shark. You can look at my ratings to know I love Carcassonne, but this game does not entice me at all. Seriously, did someone decide there was too much strategy in this game and it needed more luck?

Someone needs to sit Klaus down and tell him enough is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 'Jumping the Shark' expansion is actually the next one planned for Essen. You need to use the River expansion and it comes with wooden speedboats & waterskis for one meeple in each colour and a little meeple leather jacket for each player.

thumbsup Aayyyyy.. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually pulled out a lot of my expansions for the next time we play Carcassonne. Basically, I'm looking at just using Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
feydjm wrote:

Ah, if someone had only said this to Steve Jackson BEFORE he started publishing Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, because other people enjoying games we don't enjoy is WRONG! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Yeah, because other people enjoying games we don't enjoy is WRONG! whistle

First you need to show us that people are enjoying the Catapult. Mind you, I've enjoyed using it as a sarcastic rhetorical device. Maybe I should buy a copy.

See: Ticket to Ride: The Catapult Expansion!

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
This user is a professional crastinator
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought that Carcassonne had already "catapulted the meeple" last year, only to learn it'll "spin the wheel" this year.

Anyway, from what I've seen so far, I think that the Schicksalsrad is actually better than the Catapult.
The spinning of the wheel is a more random event than catapulting compared to the near random drawing of tiles (if you shuffle the deck properly).

I rather have random events in Carcassonne than user controlled chaos.

Also, the plague, famine and fiscal exploitation fit to the medieval theme much better than a fair with a catapult.
Especially considering the historical background of Carcassonne with its religious conflicts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Catapult is without doubt the low-point of the Carcassonne world, and Das Schicksalsrad is a definite improvement. But I might be tempted to place the 'jumping the shark' moment on Princess and Dragon. That was the first 'weak' expansion, featuring elements (fairy, dragon, volcano, magic portal) which don't quite fit, and introducing the randomness which is seen as detrimental to the latest expansions. The two expansions preceding P&D are generally considered essential; there has only been one comparably 'essential' expansion released since then, and that's Abbey and Mayor.

Bearing in mind that 'jumping the shark' doesn't mean that everything afterwards is rubbish, but marks the point where a noticeable downward trend begins, that's P&D in my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Needs more Carcasshex, less Chick Salsa Salad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
Graz
Styria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjharper wrote:
featuring elements (fairy, dragon, volcano, magic portal) which don't quite fit

Actually, I quite like the magic portals.
I see them more as secret passageways than something magic though.

A secret passageway that starts outside the walls and ends up in the princess' tower chamber, allowing a heroic prince to secretly visit his lady at night.

The dragon and fairy elements (plus associated volcanoes) are rather far-fetched though, straight out of a book of fairy-tales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mjharper wrote:
The two expansions preceding P&D are generally considered essential; there has only been one comparably 'essential' expansion released since then, and that's Abbey and Mayor.

Bearing in mind that 'jumping the shark' doesn't mean that everything afterwards is rubbish, but marks the point where a noticeable downward trend begins, that's P&D in my view.

I'm inclined to agree with this assessment. The first two major expansions are really enjoyable. The only aspect of P&D that I like are the magic portals, but the fairy & dragon mechanic are too meta-gamey for my taste. Every game I've played usually ends up with more focusing on moving the fairy every turn, and the dragon disrupts the flow of the game. I still haven't tried The Tower for fear of the same problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjharper wrote:
The Catapult is without doubt the low-point of the Carcassonne world, and Das Schicksalsrad is a definite improvement. But I might be tempted to place the 'jumping the shark' moment on Princess and Dragon. That was the first 'weak' expansion, featuring elements (fairy, dragon, volcano, magic portal) which don't quite fit, and introducing the randomness which is seen as detrimental to the latest expansions. The two expansions preceding P&D are generally considered essential; there has only been one comparably 'essential' expansion released since then, and that's Abbey and Mayor.

The all time low was when they bundled the small expansions together and called it an expansion instead of a compilation. I do not like The Catapult (not at all), nor am I particularly fond of The Count. But to squeeze money out of loyal fans that way is disgusting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Millard
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mb
I am not overly down on any of the expansions as I think they all play a part for someone somewhere even if it isn't me. Fun is subjective.

The catapult was not well received in my gaming group, mainly because they are all 8 thumbed monkeys and couldn't use it. However, introduce it to kids and they seem to like this mechanic. I think I shall torture my game group with the wheel of fortune a few times as well.

I would like to hear from the designer/s as to their motives for some of the expansions and also the combinations of expansions that they like to use or expected others to use.

I had to look up the Jump the Shark reference - what were those Happy Days folks thinking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United Kingdom
Keighley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjharper wrote:
The two expansions preceding P&D are generally considered essential; there has only been one comparably 'essential' expansion released since then, and that's Abbey and Mayor.

I felt that P&D was a rather good expansion that added some very interesting changes to the gameplay - yes the fantasy setting is a little odd, but it fits with the legends of the medieval era and I don't think Carcassonne was ever meant as a simulation anyway...

Abbey and Mayor however felt like a bunch of random ideas that didn't make the original expansions but they just slung out to sell another pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
The 'Jumping the Shark' expansion is actually the next one planned for Essen. You need to use the River expansion and it comes with wooden speedboats & waterskis for one meeple in each colour and a little meeple leather jacket for each player.

thumbsup Aayyyyy.. thumbsup
Not obvious enough. They should first continue utilizing gameshow franchise names and come out with Carcassonne: Jeopardy followed by Carcassonne: Deal Or No Deal.

feydjm wrote:
Stop the meeple-gravy train? Meeples are so marketable, it's hard not to turn down $$ for something that practically sells itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cherry
Canada
North Bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
Obligitory Smart-Ass Comment Here
badge
Shhhhhhhh!
mbmbmbmb
bonz wrote:
mjharper wrote:
featuring elements (fairy, dragon, volcano, magic portal) which don't quite fit

Actually, I quite like the magic portals.
I see them more as secret passageways than something magic though.

A secret passageway that starts outside the walls and ends up in the princess' tower chamber, allowing a heroic prince to secretly visit his lady at night.

The dragon and fairy elements (plus associated volcanoes) are rather far-fetched though, straight out of a book of fairy-tales.

Agreed. I really liked that expansion. It really added a story to an otherwise dry game. And my group HATES the dragon. Why? Because I'm better at using it than they are... heh heh heh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.