• [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"I'm a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stellar review Tom. One of your best yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Arkin
United States
Rancho Santa Margarita
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review of a very entertaining and surprisingly fun game.

While this is clearly a luck based game to a large degree, there still is strategy involved in determining the dice to retain.

The cards provide that "oops, sorry" factor that certainly has the potential to destroy a perfect strategy. As such, some Gamers will avoid this game.

However, for a rollicking good time for either Gamers or Non-Gamers, consider playing a game or two of Dice Town

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

The enthusiasm you show when a game pleases you is soooooo infectious.

Great tie, Tom.

Fantastic video reviews.

Best regards to your lovely family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
I personally think this is the best game to come out this year so far. It may not be for people who can't handle a 16 point swing in the last roll of the game, but if your after a hootin' good time you can do no wrong. Fantastic game with surprisingly more depth than its given credit for.

One example is the King = Sheriff is in itself one of the worst things to win as it can bring you nothing if there are no ties. Therefore 'experienced' players will rarely keep Kings unless they roll 3 or 4 of them to get land claims. However, if you can get one King and not win the Sherriff, with 5 players, that = $8 at Dr. Badluck, a pretty sweet deal especially if your broke. I've seen people tie with one King and ironically pay the sheriff NOT to win, just so they can take the $$$.

Plus the 'chase for the 8 point nag' as we call it is fantastic. The best card in the game. When its stolen from its original owner, 2 people know where it is, then a third person steals it and 3 people know where its is until everyone 'thinks' they know where its is and are chasing that card all over the place.

Fantastic game in my opinion. Bought knowing nothing about it and played more than any non RFTG and Dominion game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

devillaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold!

Tom you remind me of an art teacher I had once in college. It was one of those manditory Art Appreciation classes that everyone has to take.

The teacher was this long haired guy who nobody took very seriously (thats not the part that reminds me of you) but when he got up in front of class and started talking about the pieces of art that we were looking at on the slides, his face would light up, he would get very animate, and he would really just come alive while talking about these artists and their paintings.

When someone is that passionate about a subject that they're sharing with you they tend to infuse you with their own energy. His passion for art really made me appreciate the subject at hand.

You're the same way. If you're that excited just talking about a game, I can't imagine how fun it is to actually play it.

Thanks for all of the hard work you put into your reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
billsaints wrote:
One example is the King = Sheriff is in itself one of the worst things to win as it can bring you nothing if there are no ties. Therefore 'experienced' players will rarely keep Kings unless they roll 3 or 4 of them to get land claims. However, if you can get one King and not win the Sherriff, with 5 players, that = $8 at Dr. Badluck, a pretty sweet deal especially if your broke. I've seen people tie with one King and ironically pay the sheriff NOT to win, just so they can take the $$$.

I would actually disagree with this statement. You are right that if there are no ties, then the sheriff isn't worth much. Then again, I have played very few games where there weren't a decent amount of ties. The sheriff can be good for a lot of reasons:

- If you are the sheriff at the end of the game, you get an additional 5 points.
- I have seen people be the sheriff and then roll for ties with others so they can win ties for themselves.
- If there are ties, you can get paid to settle ties from others AND you can make sure that you can minimize the number of people going to Dr. Badluck by making sure that certain people win ties so that they can't say they didn't win anything (granted you can have a general store card that still allows you to go to Dr. Badluck but then they have to burn the card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
tcollett wrote:
billsaints wrote:

I would actually disagree with this statement. You are right that if there are no ties, then the sheriff isn't worth much. Then again, I have played very few games where there weren't a decent amount of ties. The sheriff can be good for a lot of reasons:

- If you are the sheriff at the end of the game, you get an additional 5 points.
- I have seen people be the sheriff and then roll for ties with others so they can win ties for themselves.
- If there are ties, you can get paid to settle ties from others AND you can make sure that you can minimize the number of people going to Dr. Badluck by making sure that certain people win ties so that they can't say they didn't win anything (granted you can have a general store card that still allows you to go to Dr. Badluck but then they have to burn the card).

Totally fair statement, the Sheriff can be great like a lottery and we use him for all the above, but I find that the one thing that can be a hindrance in the game is money, if you run short its hard to win 10's as you can often only afford to keep one or two die if your broke, so the K is the alternative way to get cash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite the spirited review. Looking forward to trying it out. We played To Court The King (another purported yahtzee derivation), and were mildly entertained. This appears to be a step up from that.

Thanks for taking the time to review it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piero lalune
France
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks for this very positive review

It's always a pleasure to see a game you love appreciated by other people !

Thanks again Tom !

If you're going to Essen this year, bring your box... I'll draw you something in it with pleasure

Pierô
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
The only thing I wish Tom commented on is whether in his opinion this game works well as a two player game.

His invectious review makes me want to buy but I usually only play two player games.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fresquez
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game but not for two players. The more people the better in my opinion. So much can go wrong/right for you and it makes it a more interesting experience. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I really don't like Liar's Dice at all. This one however has been looking interesting and with this review....is a must have for me. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to say thanks for taking the time to do video reviews. As a matter of fact, thanks to all who do. I appreciate the written ones as well, but vids are very helpful.

I really want to get this one, but it seems to be out of stock just about everywhere. I'll keep my eyes peeled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.