Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to find some related geeklist, but came up empty-handed.

My wargaming experience so far is limited to rather light games: Risk, A&A, M44 and (Twilight Struggle). I want to take the next step, through solo mode as I have no real wargaming partners (mostly eurogamers). If you have some suggestion or can point me to a geeklist, please help me.

I know lots of wargames are hard to find, therefore readily available titles are most welcome.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered PBEM (like Vassal or Cyberboard)? There's a pretty vibrant community out there, and it's easy to find opponents. The slower pace is also good for learning games.

If you'd prefer an actual solitaire game, Decision Games recently came out with an update for RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940, which is a fun one. They have a Sci-Fi solitaire game coming out as well, but I"m not sure of the title or release date, so that's probably not much help.

Silent War, the submarine game can still be had. I saw it for sale at Origins.

Finally, B-29 Superfortress is another solitaire air simulation that is based on the B-17: Queen of the Skies system.

The grand-daddy of out-of-print solitaire games is, of course, Ambush!, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to track down a copy.

Plus there are a lot of older wargames that are easy to pick up on ebay (like The Russian Campaign or Afrika Korps) that play well solo by playing both sides.

What genre are you most interested in? That would steer the conversation in a particular direction...

Good luck!

Geoff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fr. Greg
United States
Monona
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a very similar situation, though I've played more Twilight Struggle and Hannibal.

It may not be "introductory", but I'm seriously considering taking the plunge into "Fields of Fire"--I'm simply wary of the rules.

Anyway, anyone with feedback to the OP would be helping two people for the price of one! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this list would help:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/35598/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fr. Greg
United States
Monona
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, jellynut for the link; very helpful.
I don't want to hijack the thread (anymore... whistle ), so I won't give any of my preferences, but I would like to add that I'd be interested in any input about multi-player wargames that can be played solo. (I don't think TS or Hannibal would work here--it would be too difficult playing with knowledge of the other player's cards.)

I'd be particularly interested in thoughts about "Warriors of God" and "Washington's War" in this respect.

Also, I'll suggest the OP check out Field Commander: Alexander. I'm interested in that one, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Smokejumpers solo only, though themed about fire fighting, it's very much a wargame.
London's Burning is only a solo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Check out Silent War http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17484. Excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
I heartily recommend checking out Victory Point Games. They publish games with the new wargamer in mind, and most are suitable for solo play (you'll find a solitaire-suitability rating on each game). A few are strictly for solo play. But they're not just intro games; some of them will satisfy longtime wargamers too.

In addition, you might find this Geeklist helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zulus on the Ramparts! Silent War A House Divided RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940
I would not suggest Fields of Fire, it was an effort for me to learn how to play it. I have 40+ years wargaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.