Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My kind wife has given me £50 to spend on toys.

Now I can't decide how to spend it!

I've recently picked up Pandemic whcih we've enjoyed. I already own tons of other games now so can't decide what next.

I've been tempted by Space Alert for the co-op, Galaxy Truckers sounds fun. I've also been toying with wargaming and had recommendations of which Awakening the Bear sounded like the best fit.

Arrgh too many games on this site are boggling the mind.

What would you buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilson
United Kingdom
Falkirk
Stirlingshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having had a quick look at your collection and the ratings that you have given. I would suggest Le Havre , yes it is in the same series as Agricola but is different enough to own both. The few plays I have had of it have all been good so far.

Galaxy trucker is also very fun so I think that would be a good pick too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would TRY CoH Awakening the Bear before you buy it. It's not a game I would recommend for a first time wargamer. Not because it's difficult to learn, but because it is much more 'dry' than say Memoir '44 or Tide of Iron.

I own all 3 of them, and would recommend Memoir '44 (which you'll be immdeiately comfortable with as you own Battlelore), or Tide of Iron, based on the other games in your collection.

A Memoir scenario plays in about an hour, though I recommend swapping sides and playing 2 games. This maximises your setup time effort and allows for force imbalance problems if 'winning' is an issue.

Tide of Iron typically takes a couple of hurs to play and is slightly more complex than Memoir. Because of this, and the time it takes to play, you are unlikely to get it to the table as often as Memoir.

Also you can get the base game of Memoir AND the Air pack for around the price of Tide of Iron.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to enjoy your miniature gaming, how about Doom: The Boardgame or its sibling Descent: Journeys in the Dark? Descent is off-puttingly expensive in the UK so getting it with gift money might take the sting out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ged waldock
msg tools
Check out War for Edaðh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
This site needs a forum where we can put the faux offended so we can ignore them.
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:

Ok, just because i'm nice.

Send it to me, that will stop you worrying how to spend it.

whistle

Or......

I'll second Le Havre, plays well 1-4. Also i see you have San Juan if you are a fan you could try Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get It's Alive! and Sumeria for forty quid

Seriously, though:

Space Alert is great fun and very different from other stuff out there.
Race for the Galaxy is also very good, with expansions it will probably come close to £50.
Carcassonne: The Castle is a good 2-player one (one of the few Carcassonne games you've not got) to play with your (very generous) wife.
For Sale is a great filler for 3-6, recently reprinted
Dominion and/or Dominion: Intrigue I've only played the base game, but it's good.

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
Karrdedg wrote:

I've recently picked up Pandemic whcih we've enjoyed. I already own tons of other games now so can't decide what next.

I've been tempted by Space Alert for the co-op, Galaxy Truckers sounds fun. I've also been toying with wargaming and had recommendations of which Awakening the Bear sounded like the best fit.

Arrgh too many games on this site are boggling the mind.

What would you buy?

Based on your ratings for your collection, I'd think you'd enjoy:

Colosseum - simple but engaging game combining resource management, development, set collection, auctions, and trading in one gorgeous package. This is a showpiece game in terms of production value that also offers very solid gameplay.

Ticket to Ride: Märklin - my favorite of the serious, it offes an element of strategy not found in the other games without rerwriting the basics.

Stone Age - this should fit very nicely with your collection - like COLOSSEUM, it has several elements/mechanics similar to other games you enjoy.

Cuba - this is going out on a limb a bit because it's so very similar to PUERTO RICO it's practically a variant, but the differences are both singificant and satisfying - while it pumps up the player conflict, it also allows for more individual strategy and offers more interesting options.

And I'd totally back the recommend for DOMINION as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:

Buy a cheaper game (up to £20-30) and spend the rest on a nice gift for your wife. Believe me, You'll score massively and perhaps next time, your wife will give You more money (not to mention all the other nice things she will give You in th meantime devil ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:

Buy a cheaper game (up to £20-30) and spend the rest on a nice gift for your wife. Believe me, You'll score massively and perhaps next time, your wife will give You more money (not to mention all the other nice things she will give You in th meantime devil ).

But then I'd have to ask for more advice to spend more money, someone would suggest this again and we'd get into somekind of timeloop type thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
kochamkinie wrote:

But then I'd have to ask for more advice to spend more money, someone would suggest this again and we'd get into somekind of timeloop type thing.

That would be the point where you understand how marriage works and why your wife allows you to spend that money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karrde
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm my Nan just gave me £50 late Christmas money too!

Woohoo for me.

So £100 of new toys. I'm tempted between CoH, Memoir and Tide of Iron.

I'm nto sure how much I enjoyed Battlelore and think if given the option to swap it back for the cash for something else probably would.

I play games most weeks, usually twice a fortnight with wife and once a fortnight with 3 or 4 friends. Sessions tend to be 4-6 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt G
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my quick thought on your problem: Looking at your collection, I see you own Euphrates and Tigris the card game, but not Tigris and Euphrates the original board game. You're missing out there - it's a winner. Very replayable, good amount of conflict with your pals, and it stands out in my collection as requiring a fairly original kind of thinking. I picked mine up second hand for only $40 (AUD) from someone who didn't like it and had only played it once. Maybe you can find one floating around too? A good addition to your collection.

Have fun, I'm sure you'll pick something great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
I've also been toying with wargaming and had recommendations of which Awakening the Bear sounded like the best fit.

I highly recommend Conflict of Heroes. It was my first hex and counter wargame. I fiddled with C&C games like Memoir, C&C:A and Battlelore, but would not go back to them after Conflict of Heroes, which is both more fun and deeper (and sometimes even less fiddly, rules-wise.)

The sequel to Awakening the Bear, Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943, is coming out just around the corner (should be shipping out in the next couple weeks), and I would highly recommend it. I believe it will be even easier to learn than Awakening the Bear and will be a tonne of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karrdedg wrote:
Hmm my Nan just gave me £50 late Christmas money too!

Woohoo for me.

So £100 of new toys. I'm tempted between CoH, Memoir and Tide of Iron.

I'm nto sure how much I enjoyed Battlelore and think if given the option to swap it back for the cash for something else probably would.

I play games most weeks, usually twice a fortnight with wife and once a fortnight with 3 or 4 friends. Sessions tend to be 4-6 hours.

If you didn't enjoy Battlelore very much, I would suggest against Memoir. I have Battlelore and do like it (although have barely cracked the box open since I got CoH), but the systems for Battlelore and Memoir are virtually identical. There are obviously some big differences between the games because of theme, but the gameplay overall is very similar.

When I looked into Tide of Iron, the main thing I heard was that the scenarios were not very good, and the game pieces were very fiddly and set up often took a long time. Apparently they have released many excellent scenarios since then, but the set up time has not improved.

For set up time, and gameplay depth to rules complexity ratio, I don't think the other 2 games come anywhere close to Conflict of Heroes. I would say the only reason to go with Memoir or Tide of Iron over Conflict of Heroes was if you really wanted the miniatures (which I can understand - plastic is fun!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Karrdedg wrote:
I've also been toying with wargaming and had recommendations of which Awakening the Bear sounded like the best fit.

I highly recommend Conflict of Heroes. It was my first hex and counter wargame. I fiddled with C&C games like Memoir, C&C:A and Battlelore, but would not go back to them after Conflict of Heroes, which is both more fun and deeper (and sometimes even less fiddly, rules-wise.)

The sequel to Awakening the Bear, Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943, is coming out just around the corner (should be shipping out in the next couple weeks), and I would highly recommend it. I believe it will be even easier to learn than Awakening the Bear and will be a tonne of fun.

Once again, I would recommend you try this game before you buy it. Although I do own it, I find it very dry, and find it LESS fun than games of lower complexity like memoir and Tide of Iron AND higher complexity games like Paths of Glory etc.

I'm not saying don't get it, I'm just saying try it first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

Once again, I would recommend you try this game before you buy it. Although I do own it, I find it very dry, and find it LESS fun than games of lower complexity like memoir and Tide of Iron AND higher complexity games like Paths of Glory etc.

I'm not saying don't get it, I'm just saying try it first.

I would echo that advice about any game, if you can try it before you buy it, do so!

I would say if you like euros more, you are probably likely to like Conflict of Heroes a lot - it has a very "euro" feel compared to most wargames and emphasizes elegant rules over anything else. If you're more into Ameritrash, you might find something like Tide of Iron (or maybe even Combat Commander?) better, which emphasize narrative a bit more.

I'm not sure about Tide of Iron, but both Memoir '44 and Conflict of Heroes have rules available online and VASSAL modules that let you play the game online. So it may be easier to "try before you buy" than you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.