Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I took MDL (aged 6) apartment shopping yesterday. She engaged the real estate agent with what passes for small talk in MDL's world: "Archaeopteryx was the first bird!"

Archaeopteryx showed up in my life late last week- a month or so ago, I took MDL to see the Hall of Science (for about the 600th time in 3 years). A new exhibit on the relationship between birds and dinosaurs was a big hit, especially the simulator that shows how with 4 small morphologic changes, you can "turn" a dinosaur into a bird. Fast forward a month, and MDL raced up to me with a piece of paper. It was labelled "FUN!", and had 4 pictures, illustrating how some oviraptor evolved into birds. I was instructed to "write archaeopteryx", which meant "draw an archaeopteryx with small claws" to fit into her diagram of evolution, and then I was handed a fistful of crayons: "You could color them in if you want".

Questions I have had to answer:

* "When is July 1st?"- because that was the premiere of "Ice Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs"
* "Can we go to Nanny and Paw-paw's in 11 days?"- because a commerical on "Aminal Planet" (sic), seen 837 times this past weekend, hyped the series "Wild Russia", and MDL is determined to see "there's a vulture and it hits another vulture in the neck and then it falls down"
* about 20 requests to retake the "Which Meerkat are you?" personality quiz at the Meerkat Manor website (for the record, my wife and I are both Seacrest, and MDL is Maybelline)
* "Can you imagine a world without aminals?"- this appears to be a rhetorical question posed in order to elicit a desire to donate money to any environmental cause

We saw an episode of Meerkat Manor this week, in which Simon died after being bitten by a puff adder. MDL was pretty sanguine about it, however: "The good thing is at least the vultures get something to eat now!"

She also wants to know if I want to save the South American rain forest, or leave it the way it is. She plans to save it, and when pressed for details as to how this will be achieved, she plans to walk around and talk to people.

A similar strategy will be invoked to save whales, if I recall correctly.

She will not eat hot dogs, hamburgers, french fries, fried chicken, mashed potato, mustard or ketchup. But she wants to "lick a fly"
and "taste a bug". She also wants me to stop telling people she has said these things...

Career plans:

* "ant scientist"
* "digging for bones in the Kalahri" (this desire prompted her to shove a globe in my face and ask "Where's South Africa?")
* "digging for dinosaurs"
* "working on a skyfari (sic) in Africa" (she means "safari", but says "skyfari" because there is an elevated tram line in the Bronx Zoo of this name, sadly now closed due to a power failure that left people suspended over the zoo for several hours last summer)

When pressed by the real estate agent who now knows about archaeopteryx, MDL was unable to commit to a future career: "I have a lot of favorite things to be".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You quite obviously have a future accountant on your hands. Perhaps a lawyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeopteryx

So, just curious, how does she pronounce this?

And, how is it supposed to be pronounced? I can't get my head around it!!

kiss

Cute story, Kevin-not-Patrick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dinosaurs are fascinating creatures (see microbadge), I just got enough Amazon Gift Cards to buy the most up to date illustrated encyclopedia of them .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when kids come up with stuff like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great stories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:
We saw an episode of Meerkat Manor this week, in which Simon died after being bitten by a puff adder. MDL was pretty sanguine about it, however: "The good thing is at least the vultures get something to eat now!"

She wins. I see blood in her hands and the mind of a scientist. Amazing

Great job on raising her Kevin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
Dinosaurs are fascinating creatures (see microbadge), I just got enough Amazon Gift Cards to buy the most up to date illustrated encyclopedia of them .

Maybe you should come over for a playdate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Archaeopteryx
[ snip ]
And, how is it supposed to be pronounced? I can't get my head around it!!

I was told it is pronounced something like:

"Arr - key - OP - ter - icks"

with an emphasis on the third syllable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Sounds like a plan, I love kids .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
klarkinhistrep wrote:
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Sounds like a plan, I love kids .

Especially when you sprinkle them with malt vinegar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Blankenship
United States
Owens Cross Roads
AL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's a moray!
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:
* "Can you imagine a world without aminals?"- this appears to be a rhetorical question posed in order to elicit a desire to donate money to any environmental cause

How can you say no to that? Maybe she will become an environmental fundraiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:
She plans to save it, and when pressed for details as to how this will be achieved, she plans to walk around and talk to people.

She's a smart cookie. This is more than many are willing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to share a glimpse from my neice, who will turn 7 pretty shortly. For a long time, she loved snakes, and would proudly tell all who asked she would grow up to be a herpatologist. ( surprise )

Lately, though, she's been all about weather. Watching the weather channel, reading about weather, talking weather, etc. She brought me a page she had copied out of one of her books on tornados, including a chart showing the Fujita (?) scale. When I asked her about it, I got a 2 minute lecture on the scale, and how it depends on the average windspeeds measured in the tornado (I was shocked, honestly - I figured she'd just copied the chart without understanding it...)

Anyway, the point to this long rant - since she now loves weather, her mom (my sister) asked what she NOW wanted to be when she grows up - a herpatologist, or a meteorologist.

She thought for a long time, lips puckered. Then answered, out of nowhere:

"I'll be a herpatologist, then get fired. After I'm fired I'll become a meteorologist."

I don't know where she got that, but maybe with today's economy planning for being downsized is a good career plan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

That's awesome, Kevin! Keep giving her the experience, the tools, and the love she needs to do whatever it is that piques her interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Larkin
United States
Woodside
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we went to 6 Flags Wild Safari yesterday, and all next week she will be in Bronx Zoo Summer Camp.

And she still enjoys drawing cards for people- invariably with a cheetah. In fact, the same one (she explained once that the one she drew for Emma's birthday crawled through a hole onto the Get Well card for my Dad- now it is on Isabella's birthday card). Actually, Emma's card never said "Happy Birthday"- it said "70 Miles Per Hour."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
klarkinhistrep wrote:
Actually, Emma's card never said "Happy Birthday"- it said "70 Miles Per Hour."

Muahahhaha sadistic Ingenious. Your kid is amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June King
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me her heart in this box.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo! You guys are doing something right. The world needs more girl science nerds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.