Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the need for putting spoiler tags on stuff that might affect someone's enjoyment of a movie or TV series if there is a reasonable chance they haven't seen it yet, but, for crying out loud... BSG ended in May and some of the spoilers I have seen people get snippy about are from the 1st and 2nd seasons, which are from like 3 years ago. I have, in my posts for BSGE, tried to maintain the spoiler-free mentality, but, really.... I think it is time to admit that any show or movie that is available on DVD is no longer covered by the "no spoilers" umbrella.

Spoilers, to me, are bits of information that can ruin one's full enjoyment of a movie long before they have a chance to watch it. A prime example being all the spoilers that were out prior to the premiere of Star Wars Episode 1. If the movie comes out in May, and you find out in February that Darth Maul dies and tell me about it... I'll be pissed. But, if I can go to Blockbuster and rent the movie but STILL haven't seen it and you tell me that Darth Maul dies, I have no right to be angry.

So, from this point forward, I will not be spoiler tagging anything from BSG from the miniseries through season 4.0. Season 4.5 will be hitting DVD soon and it will then be fair game as well. I appreciate people not wanting to have plot points revealed to them before they have had a chance to watch it, but come on.... you have had ample time to watch this show.

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have not been able to buy each season for under $9, I have not seen them.

I'm very angry that you think you have a right to tell me when I can be angry. Who made you the emotion hall monitor?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you say "I am about to go rent Episode I, which I have not yet seen" and I tell you Darth Maul dies, you don't think you have a right to be angry?

The real point is that since 'spoilers have expired' you are saying you no longer *care* if people are angry when you don't spoiler tag your info. They still have every right to be angry.

I, for example, am three episodes from finishing season 1 of BSG. But I also realise that I really can't expect to not find out things about a 4-year old, very popular series. Especially when I have been immensely enjoying the board game.

So, I can agree with both. I don't think spoiler tagging is required at this point, but people still have a right to be angry over it.

Cheers.

=][=

P.S. Bruce Willis dies at the beginning when he gets shot. He's a ghost!
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not saying you don't have a right to be angry. Get angry as much as you want. I meant I don't feel that I have the right to be angry in a case like that. I am right there with you... I haven't been able to afford to buy any of the DVDs either... but, the show was on basic cable and the DVDs are available for rent from both Blockbuster and Netflix.

I was a late arrival to the show myself. I caught the miniseries and the first 3 episodes, then moved to a new house where there are a lot of trees and our satellite service couldn't pick up Sci-Fi channel. So, I missed out for a long time. Then, during the break between season 3 and 4, a friend loaned me the box set for season 1, which I watched with my girlfriend, who got surprisingly hooked on the show. We then rented every box set, a couple discs at a time, from our local Blockbuster until we were totally caught up to Season 4. By then, we had switched to cable and had Sci-Fi. So, season 4 started and we were up to date. MEANWHILE, my friends at work had been discussing plot elements of seasons 1-3. I inevitably overheard some of it. But, it was my own fault for not being up to date with a show that had aired some time ago.

A perfect example of this, and a completely true story: I rented the Peter Jackson remake of King Kong when it came out on DVD and watched it with my girlfriend. Neither of us had seen it, but, I had seen the original and the remake from the 70's. At one point about 2/3 the way through the movie, I made a comment about the fact that I was looking forward to seeing the biplanes killing Kong as there aren't enough cool biplane scenes in movies anymore. She looked at me in horror and said "King Kong DIES??!!?? Why did you tell me that???!" I looked at her and said "Seriously? You didn't know that? This is a remake of a movie from the 1930's. EVERYONE knows the ending!".

All I am saying is there is a statute of limitations on stuff like this. Spoilers (to me) apply to movies or shows that aren't out yet, or haven't been out that long. I mean, if you haven't seen any of the episodes yet, the whole BSG boardgame is a spoiler!

Not trying to pick a fight or start a flamewar... I'm just tired of having to walk on eggshells when I discuss things from the show that I would hope to see in the game.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordenthral wrote:
If you say "I am about to go rent Episode I, which I have not yet seen" and I tell you Darth Maul dies, you don't think you have a right to be angry?

The real point is that since 'spoilers have expired' you are saying you no longer *care* if people are angry when you don't spoiler tag your info. They still have every right to be angry.

I, for example, am three episodes from finishing season 1 of BSG. But I also realise that I really can't expect to not find out things about a 4-year old, very popular series. Especially when I have been immensely enjoying the board game.

So, I can agree with both. I don't think spoiler tagging is required at this point, but people still have a right to be angry over it.

Cheers.

=][=

P.S. Bruce Willis dies at the beginning when he gets shot. He's a ghost!



Exactly my point. If I specifically tell you I am going to rent The Empire Strikes Back because I have never seen it and everyone tells me that I should see it, and you specifically go out of your way to say that "OOOHH! When you find out Vader is Luke's Dad!! THAT'S AWESOME!!". yeah, you are just being a dick. But, if I am in a restaurant and overhear a table of people discussing the same thing, I would be the dick if I stood up and marched over to them and said "I don't appreciate you spoiling that movie for me!" I can certainly be upset for not having known that, but, I have no one to blame but myself for not having seen it already.

The ship sinks after it hits the iceberg!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record: In germany (where quite a few BGGeeks come from) we sadly haven't even started on Season 3 so far.

English Versions are only available as imports.

And my significant other wouldn't watch the english version with me anyway.
So yes, there are quite a few people on here who haven't had the privilege or even the option to see the whole show yet.

So personally, I appreciate spoiler warnings.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Worse than spoilers are people who edit their posts and change the intent of what they wrote after people have replied.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself in 100% agreement with Roy. The spoiler statute of limitations has run out on BSG and if you get angry at having something spoiled for you, you have nobody to blame but yourself. Some might argue that they've avoided BSG fan sites and feel that they should be safe on a gaming site, but it's REALLY hard to constantly talk about a media-based game without talking about the media it comes from, especially when you're speculating about a future release.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very sensitive to spoilers and wouldn't dream of ruining someone else's enjoyment. Why do you feel the need to talk about plot points, anyway?

But then again, anyone who plays this evil game gets what they deserve.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zsolt Nagy
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All it takes is to put those seven letters of L-I-S-P-O-R-E (in a different order) into the thread title or into the text.

Not a big thing if you want to exercise courtesy to others.

Netflix and Blockbuster can be fine in the States but we have people all around the globe here who can be in very different shoes. Just because something is readily available in the little patch of land between Canada and Mexico doesn't mean that this is applicable for others. This is a global community! shake
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Levine
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Crying Game: The chicks a guy.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
well I think that anything from the show that this particular expansion covers should not require spoiler tags, as you have probably already ruined the show just by looking at the box cover!


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Worse than spoilers are people who edit their posts and change the intent of what they wrote after people have replied.


My only edits to my initial post were to correct a spelling mistake and to add the anecdote about Darth Maul, and both were started before any replies had shown up.

Again, not trying to pick a fight with you or anything. I completely understand where you are coming from. I am not going to come on here and start a post or a thread where I just arbitrarily blabber on and on about everything that happened on the show. But, if I come into a thread discussing what characters might be included in the new expansion and I happen to say something about "well, they might not include "so-and-so" because they already have several revealed Cylons as characters", I don't feel that that is a capital offense.


The Planet of the Apes is EARTH!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nagypapi wrote:
All it takes is to put those seven letters of L-I-S-P-O-R-E (in a different order) into the thread title or into the text.

Not a big thing if you want to exercise courtesy to others.

Netflix and Blockbuster can be fine in the States but we have people all around the globe here who can be in very different shoes. Just because something is readily available in the little patch of land between Canada and Mexico doesn't mean that this is applicable for others. This is a global community! shake



Torrents are free.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not reading the entire thread for fear of spoilers, but just wanted to point out that I, like presumably many others, have not yet watched most of the series, because I am waiting to purchase the full series release at the end of this month. Given your initial premise, I'd be much more inclined to agree at the end of August (giving people a month to catch up or suffer).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pseudotheist wrote:
Not reading the entire thread for fear of spoilers, but just wanted to point out that I, like presumably many others, have not yet watched most of the series, because I am waiting to purchase the full series release at the end of this month. Given your initial premise, I'd be much more inclined to agree at the end of August (giving people a month to catch up or suffer).



I will give you that, as I am hoping to get the whole danged thing in August myself.

That's pretty much what I was saying earlier is that anything prior to season 4.5 is fair game, as it is readily available on DVD.

Also, there are no BSG spoilers in this thread... there ARE , however, spoilers for:
Star Wars Episodes 1 and 5, The Usual Suspects, Titanic, King Kong, The Sixth Sense, Planet of the Apes, The Crying Game....

Edward Norton IS Tyler Durden.

and now Fight Club, too. laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, follow along all of you....

1.They find earth.
2.The president dies.
3.Starbuck is a ghost/angel, frakking cool chick.
4.#6 is hot.


Get over it. The show is done and some of you are still struggling to watch season 2? Oh well, life sucks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Since I have not been able to buy each season for under $9, I have not seen them.

I'm very angry that you think you have a right to tell me when I can be angry. Who made you the emotion hall monitor?



How cheap of you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto "Magoo" Montemor
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Season 4.5 will be hitting DVD soon

Season 4.5 ??? What is this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Also, there are no BSG spoilers in this thread...


Well, at least there WEREN'T. lol



ed. stupid quote tagging....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rmontemor wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
Season 4.5 will be hitting DVD soon

Season 4.5 ??? What is this?


*************ATTENTION SPOILER SENSITIVES!!! READ NO FURTHER**********







The second half of the last season of BSG. Everything from the time they discover Earth in the mid-season cliffhanger until the series finale.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
rmontemor wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:
Season 4.5 will be hitting DVD soon

Season 4.5 ??? What is this?


*************ATTENTION SPOILER SENSITIVES!!! READ NO FURTHER**********







Spoiler (click to reveal)
The second half of the last season of BSG. Everything from the time they discover Earth in the mid-season cliffhanger until the series finale.



FTFY! devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagypapi wrote:
All it takes is to put those seven letters of L-I-S-P-O-R-E (in a different order) into the thread title or into the text.

Not a big thing if you want to exercise courtesy to others.

Netflix and Blockbuster can be fine in the States but we have people all around the globe here who can be in very different shoes. Just because something is readily available in the little patch of land between Canada and Mexico doesn't mean that this is applicable for others. This is a global community! shake


One word: HULU


If you can get on the net to read BGG, then you can get on the net to watch shows on HULU.

I think that the far better option is that if you haven't seen the show, are waiting to see it (for whatever reason), and don't want any surprises ruined, you should just avoid reading threads related to it.

Take responsibility for your own enjoyment.

btw - "It's only available as an import" isn't that much pf an argument in our modern world of internet purchasing and media downloads.
While I have more sympathy for "I'm waiting for it to be translated/dubbed/subtitled in language x", I will point out that you are doing just fine with English here on the geek.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
Nagypapi wrote:
All it takes is to put those seven letters of L-I-S-P-O-R-E (in a different order) into the thread title or into the text.

Not a big thing if you want to exercise courtesy to others.

Netflix and Blockbuster can be fine in the States but we have people all around the globe here who can be in very different shoes. Just because something is readily available in the little patch of land between Canada and Mexico doesn't mean that this is applicable for others. This is a global community! shake


One word: HULU


If you can get on the net to read BGG, then you can get on the net to watch shows on HULU.

I think that the far better option is that if you haven't seen the show, are waiting to see it (for whatever reason), and don't want any surprises ruined, you should just avoid reading threads related to it.

Take responsibility for your own enjoyment.

btw - "It's only available as an import" isn't that much pf an argument in our modern world of internet purchasing and media downloads.
While I have more sympathy for "I'm waiting for it to be translated/dubbed/subtitled in language x", I will point out that you are doing just fine with English here on the geek.



You are my new best friend.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned that if I don't want to be spoiled, I DO have to stay off the internet. So, yeah, I'll agree with the poster above - be responsible for your own viewing pleasure.

But at the same time the poster above who listed the real spoilers can die a horrible death, AFAIC.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.