Subject: No more indecision! (Pick my next game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Gee
United States
Detroit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a big fan of Arkham Horror. Talisman became one of my favorite games after it was reccomended to me by someone on this site.
I no longer have the time for D&D, WHFRG or my beloved Oblivion (X-Box).

I really would like to purchase a somewhat medium lite fantasy rpg-esque boardgame.

I own Magic Realm. And although I do love its complexity, setting it up takes longer than playing it. Also, finding someone to play with is a quest within itself.

I've heard musings about:

Return of the Heroes
Prophecy
Descent
and Runebound

Runebound seems to get a lot of mixed reviews. Prophecy looks like what I might be looking for. Descent seems like a great game but looks heavy and long. Return is Oop.

Should I buy one of these games? Or maybe an expansion to Talisman? Or maybe even hold out for the Warhammer LCG.

Help a geek out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy. In my opinion it is superior to Talisman in every way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the four games you list I own Runebound and Descent and all my advice below is based on soloplay

Runebound is a nice game with a pretty cool system, but the player interaction is a bit minimal. And I've read somewhere here on the geek that they had grown quite tired and the game was no more for them then looking at the stats and rolling the dice.

Descent is the game with the most beautiful components I own and the system is perfect imho. Great adventuring, deep mechanics and great adventuring. But it's not a game you pull out for a quick one...it'll take you at least the same time as Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know nothing about the games you brought up. But, as a fan of all things Lovecraft, I'd definitely recommend looking into the Call of Cthulhu LCG. Or, if you like the RPG aspect of games, track down the old Mythos CCG; it's got more of a storytelling feel IMHO.

I had the Warhammer bug for a while, but never had time for all of the building and painting... And I recognize that CCGs aren't everyone's bag. You might also take a gander at the new Tales of the Arabian Nights that is coming out, should be interesting and not too strategic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.