Subject: A Rare, Rapid, Rabble-Rousing Round of Ra rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. Edgar Allan Poe
badge
Ain't nobody here but us chickens...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Wife: What should we play?
Me: How about Ra?
The Wife: You know I hate auction games.
Me: But it’s my 40th birthday this week...please?
Mike and Amy: We’ll play Ra.
The Wife: Ok, fine. (In a tone of voice that doesn’t really suggest that it is entirely fine.)
Me: Yea! (I will pay for this later...)

Old Kingdom: Civ tiles? We don’t need no stinkin’ civ tiles...

The first epoch was characterized by a distinct lack of culture—four civilization tiles were drawn early on, but they were all cancelled out by unrests. I grabbed the lead in pharaohs, and Mike was able to get a flood to go with his four river tiles. The wife also grabbed a flood and several monuments. Mike used his last sun token early in the epoch to finish off a set of three monuments, and then chanted for Ra on every draw. And it worked, as a flurry of Ra tiles ended the round abruptly and left Amy, the Wife, and me all with an unused sun token. Amy’s reluctance to part with her 13 translated into a rather meager supply of tiles, a deficit from which she would not recover. I had the most pharaohs and several Nile tiles but no flood, and so broke even for the epoch. Mike also scored zero for the round, but the Wife and Amy both went negative.

Middle Kingdom: #$^&@, useless god tile!

The civilization tiles returned in this epoch, much to everyone’s relief. I added two more pharaoh tiles to retain the bonus for most pharaohs. The wife sacrificed her one pharaoh to a funeral tile to acquire a big set of monuments. She now had three pyramids, but was cruelly outbid by Amy and Mike later in the epoch for the remaining pyramid tiles. Mike picked up a god tile early in the epoch, and planned on exchanging it for a flood to score his Nile tiles. However, Mike then proceeded to draw a flood tile himself three turns in a row. None of these floods lasted long enough for Mike to make the switch, and he had the only river without a flood in the epoch. Amy continued to display a talent for pulling Ra tiles, and the epoch was again brought to a rather quick end. There were no negative scores, but my nine points was the most and I entered the last epoch with a healthy lead.

New Kingdom: A flood, a flood, my Kingdom for a flood...

The Wife entered into this epoch with three low sun tokens (7, 4, and 1), and so spent the early part of the round invoking Ra to drive out the larger suns. Amy spent her sun tokens early to take the lead in pharaoh tiles away from me, but it would not be enough to put her in contention for the win. I was able to obtain four Nile tiles with my first sun token, and added another Nile along with a civilization tile with my second. I now had nine Nile tiles and waited patiently with my last sun token (the 9) for a flood tile. When one finally appeared, Mike was forced to spend his 13 sun token on a small lot to keep the flood from me. I drew next—and it was a flood tile! After a tense moment of waiting to see if the Wife would draw a draught tile, I picked up the flood and another Nile tile to give me 11 points for my river. The 13 sun token also kept me from having the smallest sun total by one (over Mike). The Wife now had the only remaining sun and needed a big scoring set of tiles to catch me. She was able to draw a full set of eight tiles, but did not improve her monument scoring enough, and I was victorious.

Final Scores:
Me: 35
The Wife: 30
Mike: 26
Amy: 13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicki Scheele
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I misunderstanding this post. When Mike ran out of suns why was he saying anything? I thought that when you were out of suns you were out for the remainder of that epoch. ???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. Edgar Allan Poe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PirateVicki wrote:
Am I misunderstanding this post. When Mike ran out of suns why was he saying anything? I thought that when you were out of suns you were out for the remainder of that epoch. ???

Since he was out of suns so early, he wanted the Ra tiles to come out quickly to keep us from being able to use all of our sun tokens before the epoch ended. He wasn't actually participating in the auctions at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
Narberth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
settlerdave wrote:
I had the most pharaohs and several Nile tiles but no flood, and so broke even for the epoch. Mike also scored zero for the round, but the Wife and Amy both went negative.

I don't think your running score at the end of any round can be negative. Score is "officially" kept with those little tablet things, and there are no negative tablets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
settlerdave wrote:
PirateVicki wrote:

Since he was out of suns so early, he wanted the Ra tiles to come out quickly to keep us from being able to use all of our sun tokens before the epoch ended. He wasn't actually participating in the auctions at this point.

The rulebook says that you take one of 3 actions on your turn:
- Draw a tile
- Play 1+ god tiles
- Invoke Ra

It goes on to say that a player with no face up suns may not take any actions. Sounds like once you're out of sun tiles, you shouldn't be able to do anything at all, including invoking Ra/starting auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
I don't think your running score at the end of any round can be negative. Score is "officially" kept with those little tablet things, and there are no negative tablets.

You start with 10 points so that you have something to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for all the confusion on this—Mike was not taking any actions/invoking Ra—he was merely cheering on Ra draws from the sidelines to bring the epoch to a quick end.

Mr_Nuts wrote:
settlerdave wrote:
PirateVicki wrote:

The rulebook says that you take one of 3 actions on your turn:
- Draw a tile
- Play 1+ god tiles
- Invoke Ra

It goes on to say that a player with no face up suns may not take any actions. Sounds like once you're out of sun tiles, you shouldn't be able to do anything at all, including invoking Ra/starting auctions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.