john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday night, a couple of pals came over. I'd finally organized my games shelf, and the promise of hexagons and plastic bits was enough to scare them up. We opted for the quickest/smallest plastic-and-hexagon game on the shelf, Nexus Ops. It was my second play, their first.

We rolled dice for start order, and Jack "won". He wasn't happy about it because he'd be starting with less coinage than the rest of us. He got four humans and sent one of them out to uncover a strider. I was next and uncovered a 2-radium mine and a 1-radium mine. Bing went last and uncovered the same as I did, plus another 1-radium mine. Jack looked even more disgruntled. I told him he shouldn't have gone first, heh.

As the game went on, Bing was able to get 3 dragons in play. He also took over the monolith early, and the board looked awfully blue (the color he played). Jack and I played on. I was pretty much unable to roll any number higher than a 2 (I hate dice), and Jack got some cheap victories over me. I ended up putting a lot of striders into play, being able to buy them so often because they died in battle so often.

As Bing loaded up on Energize cards and radium, Jack quietly built up a nice chunk of victory points. He was then able to get a dragon on the monolith, move it to Bing's 3-radium home base, and grab a 3-VP Secret Mission from it, which brought him up to 11 VP. Bing and I were doomed, and we knew it - he made a last "dash" and got up to 9 VP. Next turn it was all over. I was way back with 3 VP (did I mention how cruel the dice were for me?)

It was a fun game. Jack, a long-time gamer, saw early on a winning strategy built around the Secret Mission cards. I enjoyed being mad at the dice, and we all enjoyed the beer. We're looking forward to a four-man game next week. The board was packed with carnage with the three of us, can't wait to see when it gets more crowded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
The game is fun and great with 3 and fun with 4, have not tried it with 2

keep playing it it is always a fun quick little war game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Harris
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grafpoo wrote:
As the game went on, Bing was able to get 3 dragons in play.

In something like 20 games spread over a couple of years I think I've only 3 dragons in play EVER! 36 rubium to spare in a single game - luxury!

Simon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
mb
The way that this game works means that the richest/strongest player is not necessarily going to win - unlike other similar games.

The Secret Mission cards mean that the game will go to the smartest player regardless of start position. The biggest and most frequent mistake I see is when people try to play this like classic Risk, building up a giant army and trying to grind out a win through those 1VP battle cards. Old habits die hard, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Jack or anyone else realize that his win may very well have been a result of his going first and getting a strider straight out of the gate?
He may have been grumpy for going first and getting less cash but the payoffs can be enormous.

Getting this more than makes up for the apparent "loss" of Rubium by going first.

This game is very, very well balanced in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.