JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
After a long development and testing cycle, http://www.thegamecrafter.com is officially open for business today. TGC manufactures and sells games from any game designer.

You may have never heard of The Game Crafter before today, even though we've been successfully publishing games for more than 10 years. We've created board and card games like Campaign Secrets, RPGs like deadEarth, and we were even one of the first web game producers with our title called Survival of the Fittest. Over the next few weeks we're going to bring out five new titles just in time for GenCon, but that's not the big news.

The big news today is that we've refined our production process so that we can offer you, the game designers of the world, the ability to get professional production copies of your game, one copy at a time. You design your game as normal, then upload the files on http://www.thegamecrafter.com. From there you can add parts such as pawns, tokens and dice to your game. You can order copies at cost for yourself, and you can also publish your game for sale in our online store.

What do you imagine all of this would cost? The answer is, not a penny. There are no contracts to sign, and no up front costs. When someone orders your game, we manufacture it and ship it directly to them at no cost to you. At the end of each month you'll get a royalty payment for each game we sell. It's that simple. And there's no catch, fine print, or stipulations.

Come see for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice idea...

Though I'd like to see some explanation of the various components during the pricing estimator... I.e., what's a "regular" pawn vs. "specialty" pawn.

Other than that, I'm salivating... This would be a prototyping DREAM!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Sounds like a nice service. Just out of curiosity, does BGG get any revenue from this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting... I see that international orders can't be processed from the shop. Does this also apply to the uploading of publications?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Twombly
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just priced my prototype at $15.50 for three card decks, three boards, and a package each of chips and winks, plus handling fee.

Some things I'd like to see offered are cubes in various colors (though I can get them elsewhere), custom sticker sheets and mixed bags of chips and winks. The stickers I'd use to label the poker chips, so I'd want a circular cut to match the flat "dimple" of the chip. As cheap as the chips are I guess it's silly to complain, but I need exactly 18, 3 each in six colors, and my Scotch blood protests the needless expense.

My design depends on somebody else's patented component, so I couldn't sell it on the site, but I'm very much considering this for prototyping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Great idea about the explanation of the components. I've added links to examples of the parts. Of course prices vary, so once you actually build out the game for real you'll get the real price, so the estimator is just supposed to give you an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
No BGG won't get a cut of the revenue. BGG has no affiliation with The Game Crafter. If BGG offered an API to cross publish the games in our store into their marketplace, then we'd certainly do that and they'd get a cut there. We're working on the same kind of thing with Amazon as we speak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
You may publish games from any country in the world. Just at this time we can only ship to US Customers. This is mainly due to a restriction we've placed on ourselves at the moment. We want to make sure our shipping operation is running very smoothly before we start rolling out other countries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Ryan,

We have cubes in various colors coming. We've ordered them, they just haven't arrived in our inventory yet.

Custom sticker sheets to create tokens are on our near term todo list. We hope to have that rolled out in the next few months, although it may take until the end of the year to get it done. Just a matter of priorities. Cross publishing to Amazon is our current top priority for our software developers.

I understand the desire to buy one chip at a time, and at some point we may offer that. However, it will be quite a bit more expensive because then our shipping pickers will have to go through and count each chip to put in the box, and unfortunately we can't pay them in games, so when our cost goes up, your cost goes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogério de Leon Pereira
Canada
Maringa
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the TGC is a very good idea, not only to make yor own game, but a chance to get a very professional protothype to show in events and for publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.