Subject: Plans for an official 2 player expansion from Mayfair? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Billiau
United States
Old Saybrook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I have not played Steam yet but if they did make a two player I would probably make the purchase of the full version and the expansion. I should probably look to see if anyone posted two player rule changes on the Steam board, huh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
MidKentGamerUK wrote:
Have had a nose thru the forums but not spotted anything yet - was basically wondering whether there were any plans for a 2 player board in the mix?

We heard this from Martin Wallace, with mixed news --

"There will be two expansion maps for Steam available from Warfrog in time for Essen. These are designed for Steam but if anyone wants to convert them to AoS that's fine by me. The new maps add an extra dimension to the game. You can either choose to play the base/standard rules or you can use the stocks and shares rules that come with the expansion. The maps are suitable for up to six players and with the shares rule it may be possible for two players to play, but we have not tested this yet. Aim to do so in the not-too-distant future."

On the one hand, since 'the maps are suitable for up to six players', they're unlikely to be as competitive as a dedicated 2-player scenario.

On the other hand, I think MW disclaimed Steam/AoS as a 2-player game - if he says the expansion has 2-player possibilities, there's probably something interesting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
seabilliau wrote:
I have not played Steam yet but if they did make a two player I would probably make the purchase of the full version and the expansion. I should probably look to see if anyone posted two player rule changes on the Steam board, huh?

Here's some recent threads for you -

Scotland: How to Play It
Steam: A Two Player Review for a Three to Six Player Game
Any ideas on a 2-player variant?
St. Lucia & Puerto Rico maps played with Steam question.
So if I want to play this as a 2-player game, all I have to do is cover up half the US map?

You'll find quite a few people are playing 2-player variants and maps as-is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Yeah.

St Lucia works, and Scotland works quite well. (I haven't tried Jamaica. For St Lucia, I've been preferring this variant for Steam, which is on the tight/evil side. We haven't heard reports yet on Umbria, Siberia, and others.)

But it would be great to have a high-quality 2-player map with Steam design etc.

Someone with basic graphics skills could 'tart up' the Scotland map for Steam pretty easily, at least? (I'd also love to see how Montreal metro could play with Steam... a tighter 3p map would be great.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.