Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Proposed House Rule for Europe Engulfed

"Bullets, Beans, and Gas"

X.1: Each at war power receives one special action free of costs per turn, beginning with production phase in which they are at war, as long as it does not exceed the number available in the force pool. Note that the Soviets do not receive this special action during conscription turns. The Italians lose their free special action once Italian morale is collapsed.

X.2: To reflect the difficulty in keeping an advancing army in supply with bullets, beans, gas, and spare parts, any unit that moves twice operationally by special action in the same turn loses a step before combat on the second special action-based operational movement.

Example: During the course of a single turn, a block is moved operationally by special action. Since this is the first special action played for that block, it does not suffer any penalty. However, the same block is moved again, also operationally. This time, before it arrives in at its destination (upon leaving the original space) it loses a single step. Therefore, a 4/4 armor unit that moved twice by operational special action, if reduced to a 3/4. If it moves a third time, it is reduced to 2/4. 2/4 Infantry cannot move operationally by special action, but armor can and would therefore be reduced to cadre, but no further. No blocks are ever removed because of this rule. Cadre level armor units can move regardless of this rule.

Blocks moving strategically, or that have not accumulated two operational moves by special action remain unaffected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm...ouch!

Intersting rule but I did like the bonus special action. Simulates stockpiling supplies and equipment in preperation for war.

As for the step losses, I see this punishing Germany way too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Possibly. One way to balance might be to take away Russian conscription--as it should be less needed, and possibly only to allow the free SA for Germany only as compensation. Anyway, I really want to start a discussion and see what it leads to.

Right now, I imagine it would be useful in a game where the Axis player is strong and the Allied player less experienced. I don't like the all out drives on Baku during Barbarossa or the ability to shift nearly every block to one space and slam the German Army (and a few of its allies) into a single key space.

In my book, the name of the game is to see if you can do better than was historically done, but with the same relative constraints--albeit simplified and abstracted for playability. It would have been impossible for the Germans to take Baku or even Moscow during initial Barbarossa. Historically, they only drove on Grozny in '42 and Kharkov in '43!

I want it to be possible for the German player to win, but with historical constraints. Whipsawing the entire army around the board is something I dislike--having been a victim of it one too many times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point, but would this rule run the risk of slowing the game down? I guess that doesn't matter too much. It will depend on what type of WWII game they [the players] want. Faster paced or more historically accuate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
The free special action would favour the Italians the most since they are the most constrained usually in building it thus radically changing N Africa/Med. It would also reduce some of the interesting decisions - e.g. spending at least one SA per turn is a no brainer if you are going to get a free replacement.

A better solution may be to limit the number of blocks that can be moved with a single special action, e.g. to 15. You could spend two to move double the amount in the same phase. This will limit the Germans in Barbarossa if they are going for an all or nothing drive but not on a historical strategy (AGN, C and S). e.g. taking Moscow in turn 1 of Barbarossa becomes a major problem in securing your supply lines if you want to put any force actually into Moscow. Coming back the other way will also hurt the Russians since they have fewer SAs hopefully balancing things out. This will also boost the value of GSUs since they would not be counted within the 15 limit.

The problem with all these ideas is the law of unintended consequences as they will have major knockon effects in the game and it is a big game to find out you made it unwinnable for one side or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One of my friends developed a nice mod he cals, "World Engulfed." While I would like to see some changes, in the main I think it accomplishes most of what I am looking for in making the game a little more realistic/historical.

I played for the first time a couple weeks ago (WE) and I really enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any rules posted? Does it include Asia Engulfed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No rules posted, it's still being fleshed out. It adds a lot of blocks, new types of units and cards. The main difference is that it adds some randomness to the game--not everything is under your control. But the creation isn't mine, so I cannot speak with authority on the modifications that are ongoing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is designed to be combined with AE but can be played with just EE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.