Popular Tags: must_read [+] [View All]
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read every word of this and all I can say is that I am really happy for you. Lots of people want to change various things about their lives, but all too often they are looking for shortcuts. The paradox is that there are no shortcuts, yet there is one shortcut. The shortest path is simply to change today and be the change you wish to see. I really do think it is that simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! I've been losing weight recently also, although by comparison my goals (and achievements) have been meager: I've dropped from 156 down to 144, which is in my goal of 140-145. Mostly I decided it would be easier to lose 10 or 15 pounds now, and keep it off, instead of wait until I need to lose 30 pounds or more. But I think it's amazing that you have lost so much in the last few months, and I think your attitude is a good one, if you can keep on it you should be able to lose the last pounds then stay that way. Keep it up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Was this the right thing to post in the land of bacon?

Seriously though, great post and quite thought provoking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bah Doo
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspirational, thanks for posting this, and congratulations on the weight loss!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Miller
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course - thumbs from me (another fat fighter ). I just started some weeks ago so i'm on the begining of my new way of life i hope i will lost ca. 60 pounds till next year (already lost 10p).

I belive this will work now - i totaly change my life, i try to spend some active time everyday. I failed 1000 times (and about 8-10 years ago i won one time - minus 60 pounds but till now i get even more back).

CONGRATS M8!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!!

I have struggled with my weight all my life (overweight child with poor eating habits). Long story.

I always say that if it was EASY, then everyone would be thin, but they're not, they're overweight.

I once read that the moment you actually decide that you really want to lose weight, that you actually begin losing it. Not wishing, hoping, or thinking about it, actually making the decision.

Activity is important and as you grow older, your range of possible activities decreases. Nutrition is important and small, attainable goals as well.

Rewarding yourself with non-food rewards is also important.

Keep it up!!! I'm sure your daughter will appreciate the extra years you are adding to your life!

Love & kisses from
MMB

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I've been skiing (cross country) twice - the day in the Rockies near Golden (?) is something I'll remember till I die. Gliding past 10 foot high pines with the rest of the tree under 30 foot of snow, sliding down long gentle slopes. Amazingly beautiful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done mate. those numbers are impressive. I'm feeling the same apathy right now, after I put a lot of weight in college. I went from a healthy 75kg to 115kg in 8 years. Got down to 85kg once but I'm "stabilize" at 94-97 right now. And I need that snap you had to put back and go back to 75.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I think I just burned 400 calories just reading that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick to the plan! The maintenance was the hardest part for me. I did a program that sounds very similar to yours--went from 235 to 180 in less than four months. Soon afterward, my wife and I successfully walked the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco (yes, I had to wear the "I Run Like a Girl" tee shirt they provided us, and got the Tiffany silver medal given to us by men in tuxedos at the finish line.). Anyway, I couldn't change my habits, and am basically right back where I started from. I do have a nice Tiffany pendant though. You sound like you have a better grasp of the reasons you are doing it, so relapse will be less of a problem for you. Again, stick to it!

Best of luck,
Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! How tall are you? 1100 calories seems extremely low--dangerous even. I hope for your sake your nutritionist is certified!

After having gained 25 pounds since my wedding last year, I've been on the path of tossing it off. So far, it's been 20 pounds in three months, though I'm hoping to lose another 10 to bring me to post-college levels.

The thing I've noticed most is I'm feeling better. Before I got on this diet, my daily intake involved quite a bit of sweets and booze. Now I'm surprised to find myself declining to split a bottle of hard cider with someone. Instead of handfuls of raisinets, I'll only have 4 or 5. Not only am I having less of these things, but I'm enjoying them more as a result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
erak wrote:
...since my wedding last year, I've been on the path of tossing it off...

Hehehe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this post. I've heard some of the things you wrote in other forms in other places, but hopefully this time the advice will stick.

Now if those same points of advice could be used to help solve money problems or career problems, that'd be spectacular, and exactly what I need to read right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
Now if those same points of advice could be used to help solve money problems or career problems, that'd be spectacular, and exactly what I need to read right now.

Pretty much all personal problems not founded in biology or physics have that same solution.
1. Identify the problem correctly
2. Behave in a way to solve the problem
3. Stop internal (mostly) and external (sometimes) dialogs that tell you you can't do what you want to do.

Money
1. Most people misidentify the problem:
thumbsdown I don't have enough money
thumbsdown I don't get paid enough
thumbsup: I spend more than I make
Audit your life and figure out where your money is going.
2. Start crossing off things until you're spending as much less than you make as you can stand. Cut your expenses until you're living below your means.
3. Ignore commercials, peer pressure, stereotypes--all that.

(A friend bought his first home. A condo. It had a 20' x 20' patio. However, his stereotype of a homeowner included buying a riding lawn mower. Truth.)

Career
1. Are you doing something you like or something to get the money you think you need because of the problem above? Happiness is the score card, not money. Money is just a tie-breaker, if that.
2. Make a plan to get to where you'll be happy. Success follows happiness or terrible, personally destructive obsession. Pick one.
3. Don't let anyone, especially yourself, stop you. Need to wear a suit, wear one. Need to go to school nights, do it. Make it happen.

(My brother tried for a long time to be what my father wanted him to be but he had no interest in. Happily, he moved to West Virginia, lived in a trailer, married a nice lady, and hunted a lot. From impressive ranges.)

(A close friend is terrified of "wearing a white collar". He's brilliant, so he always succeeds. He then insults his boss until he's demoted or fired. If he would just refused the promotions saying he's happier as blue collar, it'd be good. The roller coaster bit, not so much.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Your post is one of the most well written and inspiring things I've read in a while. Congratulations on your success thus far!!

I've had some weight loss experiences during my life also. For most of my childhood, I was the fat kid. Then one day in junior year, I decided somehow to change. I went for a bike ride everyday and changed my diet drastically. I lost about 100 pounds that summer. I came back to school senior year and no one recognized me. It was kind of funny.

After that I gained some weight in college, but didn't get back up to my former weight. Time passed.

Last winter (3 years out of college) my weight got up to a point where I decided again to do something about it, and I started on the Hacker's Diet. I've been on it ever since.

There is a web page on which you can track weight trend and that has made all the difference. It's the only time in my life that I've weighed myself everyday and written down that number somewhere.

However, I think sometimes I still think like I'm fat (fat is who I am, as you put it). For instance, my girlfriend would really like to go out dancing, but I'm having problems getting into the mindset of wanting to go with her. It's like I don't want to be on display or something. I know the answer is probably just to go do it, but I haven't been able get over that anxiety yet.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I find your epiphanies to be very inspiring, and I hope that I can try to change my mindset in a similar way.

" You can enjoy whatever you choose to enjoy. "
" Live the change you want to be. "

I will try to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteKong wrote:
As for folks who only need to lose 20 pounds or so like yourself, I think that's great. It means your 'poor-lifestyle threshold' is much lower than mine was. Some people see 5 extra pounds and decide to make a change. Some of us see 120 extra pounds and make that change.

When I was in college, I went from 255 to 180 over the course of 6 months without even trying (literally--weight loss was not on my mind). What happened was 2 years of eating nothing but fast food at school just got to me and the only things I could eat over that six-month period was turkey sandwiches for lunch and pasta and salad for dinner. I didn't even exercise.

When I was 255, I always assumed I'd be that weight forever. I didn't want to be, but just figured there was nothing I could do about it. When it came off, I recognized my good fortune and started becoming more active to keep it off.

The last year was the first time in 10 that I've been over 200 pounds, hence my most recent efforts. I don't want to waste that 75-pound cosmic gift!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.