Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How complex and diffcult is this game to learn? You can compare to other solitaire games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Yarto
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Raining down board gaming fun since 1985!
badge
Play DVG's Field Commander Nimitz!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick - I found the game pretty straight forward to learn. The rules are laid out very logically and what seems at first like a "busy" map, quickly makes lots of sense in my opinion. I play lots of solitaire games like RAF, Ambush, Carrier, Mosby, London's Burning, Raid on St. Nazaire, etc and I found DDOB to be about the same level as Raid on St. Nazaire. It's actually very similar in that they're both "two games in one".

Much like in RSN where you try to survive the boat ride in, you spend the 1st half of the campaign game in DDOB just surviving the beach landings! Then it's the battle for the high ground and the game takes on a whole new feel, again much like in RSN once your commandos make it ashore. Germans start to appear in random places and your scrambling to make ad-hoc teams of what you have that survived the beach!!

I also bought RAF II from Decision Games (and John Butterfield) this summer and I would consider DDOB a slightly more complex game to learn. Like a lot of solitaire games, you spend a lot of time at first making sure you're not forgetting something and that all your moves are "legal" but the game flows quite nicely once you get the hang of it.

I personally like the card driven system - many gamers love the dice, but this system rewards tactics and planning more than just blind luck. You really need to think several moves ahead if you expect to make it out of the first round (the beach). I was thoroughly trounced in my first effort due to poor planning. I started a second game and made it through to the "high ground" phase.

Lots of great strategy and fun! I would highly recommend it to you!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Dotzenrod
United States
Novi
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.