Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone care to toss out a few decklists to show how they're approaching the game for us newbies? I was thinking of trying a Hastur/Yog combo, which I'll be heavy on hand manipulation and recursion and solid in Terror and Arcane struggles, but probably weak in Combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I asked, I'll start.

Yog/Hastur deck (Core/Mountains of Madness/Ancient Horrors)

Hastur:
3x Aspiring Artist (Character/1)
Bearer of the Yellow Sign (Character/3)
3x Bringer of Fire (Character/3)
Byakhee Servant (Character/3)
Hastur (Character/6)
Performance Artist (Character/1)
Thing from the Stars (Character/5)
Victoria Glasser (Character/2)
Yellow Muse (Character/4)
Blind Submission (Event/2)
Byakhee Attack (Event/2)
Despair (Event/1)
Polar Mirage (Event/1)
Power Drain (Event/2)
Scotophobia (Event/2)
White Out (Event/2)
Victoria's Loft (Support/3)

Yog-Sothoth:
Disciple of the Gate (Character/2)
Guardian Elder Thing (Character/5)
Hound of Tindalos (Character/4)
Living Mummy (Character/4)
3x Opener of the Gate (Character/2)
3x Reawakened Elder Thing (Character/3)
Son of Yeb (Character/2)
3x Tcho-Tcho Tribe (Character/5)
Yog-Sothoth (Character/8)
Dampen Light (Event/1)
Gathering at the Stones (Event/2)
Journey to the Other Side (Event/1)
Single Glimpse (Event/2)
Unspeakable Resurrection (Event/X)
Forbidden Shrine (Support/1)

Neutral:
Freelance Agent (Character/3)
Overzealous Initiate (Character/2)
Serpent from Yoth (Character/4)
Eldritch Nexus (Event/1)
Inside Information (Event/2)
Moving the Scenery (Event/2)
Political Demonstration (Event/0)
.45 Pistols (Support/0)
Gentleman's Club (Support/2)
Tcho-Tcho Talisman (Support/1)

52 cards with a decent spread of costs in characters. The low-end guys are a little weak, but work decently in certain combos (cultists, etc) or recursion (Performance Artist.) Because of the high cost of things like Tcho-Tcho Tribe, I have two ways to gain a fourth domain so I can spread resources out somewhat and do multiple things in one turn without having to overpay all the time. I tried to add some Combat options from the Neutral cards to make up a bit of the deficiency there. I don't have quite as many Monsters as I'd like in order to make the Opener of the Gate/Yog combo work, but how many games are you actually going to get Yog-Sothoth into play, anyway? I have him and Hastur in there largely to have fun.

The deck is half characters. I'm not sure about the ratio that CoC decks use. In many M:TG decks, the key is figuring out how many creatures go into the deck in order to keep offense and defense in play while trying to get spells off to make the deck roll. Unlike M:TG, the only way you really win CoC is via characters and, in playing the two factions that are among the weakest character-wise, perhaps I should have tried to put in more. The thought occurred, though, that since the Hastur faction especially is weak in characters, there's no sense in filling space with space-fillers, when you could be using Events and Support to get other things accomplished. I'd be interested to hear any feedback and see some other decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wooten
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Yog/Hastur straight from the Core Set and love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a nice deck. I generally use at least 65% characters, but with Yog's spells, you might do just fine with 50%. And I've never found.45 pistols benefit to be worth a whole card slot.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd post my deck lists, but they suck. I've been completely unable to beat my son's Cthulhu/Hastur deck, no matter what I've tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
I'd post my deck lists, but they suck. I've been completely unable to beat my son's Cthulhu/Hastur deck, no matter what I've tried.

Still!? Sorry to hear that (actually good for him )

I actually LOVE my Yog/Miskatonic deck. Cards like the Chess Prodigy and Tcho-Tcho Tribe really make it a beast. I'll post that and 2 others later.

I finally got a second base set so that I can do single faction decks as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Looks like a nice deck. I generally use at least 65% characters, but with Yog's spells, you might do just fine with 50%. And I've never found.45 pistols benefit to be worth a whole card slot.

You're probably right. I could strip that out and make it 51 cards pretty easily. I was just trying to balance my icon distribution somewhat and Pistols was a cheap and easy way to do that for Combat. However, in thinking about it, I'm doing so many Terror effects that I can try to focus on driving some Combat-adept characters insane and not have to face that struggle very often.

The other thing I considered about cards like Pistols is that, in any event, it's still a resource. In Magic, a poor card is a poor card. It takes up space in the deck, potentially preventing you from drawing something you need. In CoC, however, it's still a resource. In Magic, mana flood and mana screw are both possibilities. In CoC, you'll basically never be without resources of some kind and the prospect of color (faction) screw is far more easily dealt with because you only need one of each faction that you're playing per dominion most of the time. In that respect, cards like Pistols are actually less dead weight than they would be, otherwise. But, yeah, the card isn't great to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Also quite a surprise to me - Brad, could you maybe post your son's invincible deck?

And if you give us the # of core sets and APs you have available for building a counterdeck, we could tilt at this particular windmill together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the fifth Asylum pack in the mail yesterday and it's gotten me super excited to build an Agency/Hastur deck. Endless Interrogation and some of the recent back-to-hand Hastur mechanics look crushing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maik wrote:
locusshifter wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Also quite a surprise to me - Brad, could you maybe post your son's invincible deck?

And if you give us the # of core sets and APs you have available for building a counterdeck, we could tilt at this particular windmill together.

Well his deck has morphed over time, as we've gotten new APs, but I'll see what I can find. I've got one of each LCG AP and a single core set.

Looking over the file I have in the deck builder for his deck, it's way out of date. But basically he has a bunch of big nasty invulnerable dudes, he's got the Bringer of Fires x3, and he's got the Hastur cards that let him take control of my cards. So while I have often been able to rush him, and get a 2-0 lead, once he has gotten going, it's curtains for me. With his latest decks, I haven't even been able that far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
Yog/Hastur deck (Core/Mountains of Madness/Ancient Horrors)

I wasn't sure how much you would appreciate suggestions to your deck, but here goes:

1. Cut Victoria's Loft. Its too expensive for what it does, and frankly, you're not trying to win the game by driving people insane. Its a nice slow-down, but the character is already slowed down because of the way insanity always works.

2. Cut Hound of Tindalos and Living Mummy. They won't give you the return on investment that you need at a 4-cost. The character really has to be worth playing for me to go 4-1-1 on my resources instead of 3-2-1 and then playing two characters instead.

3. Opener of the Gate is a horrible character unless you're playing with a lot of Monsters (which you're not). It really isn't worth drawing these guys for a combo you won't be able to use anyway, when you could be getting Terror and Combat at the same cost.

4. Dampen Light, Freelance Agent, Overzealous Initiate, Serpent from Yoth, Nexus, Pistols, Tcho-Tcho Talisman. All these cards are good in their own way, but not right for a deck of this style. Drop them.

5. The stuff I really expected to find wasn't here. Like all the amazing low-cost characters. You really need a significant number of those guys in order to ensure that you'll have one on your opening turn. You need to come out of the gate flying, and having a judicious cost-curve will help you do that. Add stuff like:

Albino Penguin
Demon Lover
Mad Artist
Servant of Nodens
Fishers from the Outside
Dabbler in the Unknown (mostly just for a free token)
Ghost

My Hastur/Yog deck in this configuration would look more like this:

1x AMM F9 Giant Albino Penguin, Antarctic Monstrosity
3x AAH F12 Aspiring Artist
3x AAH F14 Bringer of Fire
1x CS F81 Hastur, The King in Yellow
1x CS F82 Victoria Glasser, The Society Hostess
1x CS F83 Yellow Muse
1x CS F84 Demon Lover
1x CS F85 Thing from the Stars
1x CS F87 Performance Artist
1x CS F88 Byakhee Servant
1x CS F90 Bearer of the Yellow Sign
1x CS F91 Ghost
1x CS F92 Mad Artist
3x AMM F13 Reawakened Elder Thing
1x AAH F15 Cthuga, Fiery Conflagration
3x AAH F16 Tcho-Tcho Tribe
1x CS F101 Yog-Sothoth, In Whom the Spheres Meet
1x CS F103 Son of Yeb
1x CS F105 Fishers from Outside
1x CS F106 Cannibal Ghast
1x CS F107 Spell-bound Shoggoth
1x CS F109 Guardian Elder Thing
1x CS F111 Disciple of the Gate
1x CS F112 Servant of Nodens
1x CS F152 Dabbler in the Unknown
1x AMM F10 White Out
1x AMM F11 Polar Mirage
1x CS F95 Byakhee Attack
1x CS F96 Agoraphobia
1x CS F97 Scotophobia
1x CS F98 Despair
1x CS F99 Blind Submission
1x CS F100 Power Drain
1x CS F115 Journey to the Other Side
1x CS F117 A Single Glimpse
1x CS F118 Gathering at the Stones
1x CS F119 Unspeakable Resurrection
1x CS F144 Political Demonstration
1x CS F147 Moving the Scenery
1x CS F151 Inside Information
1x CS F94 Sedated
1x CS F113 Forbidden Shrine

Total 50

Jackwraith wrote:
The deck is half characters. I'm not sure about the ratio that CoC decks use.

I typically play about 3/5 characters. It really depends on the deck, though, but for most core set decks that's about what you want.

Jackwraith wrote:
The thought occurred, though, that since the Hastur faction especially is weak in characters, there's no sense in filling space with space-fillers, when you could be using Events and Support to get other things accomplished.

You definitely make an excellent point about space-filling, which is always true. I always tell players, "If you find yourself always resourcing a specific card, take it out of the deck because its clearly not worth playing." But in a pseudo-highlander format such as the Core Set, I think you've pretty much required to include some less than ideal characters just to maintain a proper cost curve.

Personally, I would look into buying some additional Asylum packs. I love the Hastur stuff that's come out in packs, especially packs 9 and 11, but frankly they all had nice Hastur stuff. Yog on the other hand, has been getting the shaft for the most part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Well his deck has morphed over time, as we've gotten new APs, but I'll see what I can find. I've got one of each LCG AP and a single core set.

Looking over the file I have in the deck builder for his deck, it's way out of date. But basically he has a bunch of big nasty invulnerable dudes, he's got the Bringer of Fires x3, and he's got the Hastur cards that let him take control of my cards. So while I have often been able to rush him, and get a 2-0 lead, once he has gotten going, it's curtains for me. With his latest decks, I haven't even been able that far.

My immediate reaction is that you need textbox blanking in order to take out the big hitters. Or, you could alternately take care of them with Celeano Fragments and Thomas Malone. The only problem with that strategy in a core-set environment, you are at a disadvantage if you don't draw them.

Now the textbox blanking would probably work best with Cthulhu, but since that's out of the picture, Antartic Yeti is freaking awesome. Now you've only got one copy, but again, Shub has great character retrieval in the form of Under the Porch and Shocking Transformation.

Gibbering Soul, Shocking, Porch, Summoning Circle... any of these will bring it into play. And then keep Open Grave around to make sure that if you lose it, he comes right back.

Pair Shub up with Agency to get Thomas Malone as a back-up, as well as all the other great character removal. And maybe play a little Weapon strategy with Dynamite/Shotgun and the Ammunitions Expert since you'll be playing plenty of Monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
I wasn't sure how much you would appreciate suggestions to your deck

By all means, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

radynski wrote:
The character really has to be worth playing for me to go 4-1-1 on my resources instead of 3-2-1 and then playing two characters instead.

Good point. The contrast to what I mentioned earlier about the greater freedom provided by every card being a resource is the domain restriction that only lets you spend one domain for any one card. It's an interesting quandary. I tossed in the Mummy and the Hounds for some wounding ability from the former and some skill reduction ability by the latter (and also because I've always been a Hounds fan since I first started reading the mythos...)

radynski wrote:
3. Opener of the Gate is a horrible character unless you're playing with a lot of Monsters (which you're not).

Yeah, I thought about that after I had everything assembled. It's specifically why I put in cards like Serpent of Yoth but the combo is weak for this faction pairing and would work much better with a Yog/Shub deck, I think.

radynski wrote:
Personally, I would look into buying some additional Asylum packs.

Heh. I'm working on it. I kind of promised my wife that the LCG format wouldn't find me dumping tons of money like my Magic career did. And it generally won't, but she's leery of any card games for that reason. Now I just need to find a regular player or two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Yeti was prominent when I was trying Misk/Shub. Of course, he has several big dudes that have the "cannot be blanked" ability, so that sucks in that regard...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Yes, the Yeti was prominent when I was trying Misk/Shub. Of course, he has several big dudes that have the "cannot be blanked" ability, so that sucks in that regard...

Well those guys just have normal toughness, and can be affected by Short Fuse. I was working on Invulnerability. And frankly, no matter what your opponent has, the Yeti is awesome. I would give Agency/Shub a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:
The contrast to what I mentioned earlier about the greater freedom provided by every card being a resource is the domain restriction that only lets you spend one domain for any one card. It's an interesting quandary.

Yeah, its one of my favorite parts of the game.

Jackwraith wrote:
I tossed in the Mummy and the Hounds for some wounding ability from the former and some skill reduction ability by the latter (and also because I've always been a Hounds fan since I first started reading the mythos...)

Yeah, fans of the Hounds have been sorely disappointed by that card. Its got cool stats, but its ability is horrible. It just makes the character its attached to a target for death. And when it dies, so do the Hounds. Very unsatisfying. Of course, they're a lot of fun against an Ancient One.

Jackwraith wrote:
radynski wrote:
Personally, I would look into buying some additional Asylum packs.

Heh. I'm working on it. I kind of promised my wife that the LCG format wouldn't find me dumping tons of money like my Magic career did. And it generally won't, but she's leery of any card games for that reason.

Yeah, understood. Its amazing how relatively cheap this is though. I buy 3 copies of everything and still don't come close to the money I used to dump on CCGs. And even if you only buy 1 copy of each of the existing Asylum packs you don't have already, that's less than $50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Windopaene wrote:

Well those guys just have normal toughness, and can be affected by Short Fuse. I was working on Invulnerability. And frankly, no matter what your opponent has, the Yeti is awesome. I would give Agency/Shub a shot.

Chris probably - well, let's make that certainly - knows his way around the game a lot better than I do, but my immediate idea was a Miskatonic/Syndicate deck with lots of investigation, discard and exhaustion. Or a tricolor deck of human investigators, centered around the Anthropology Advisor (CS 25), which is one hell of a card as far as I can tell.

Both ideas don't really work with a single core set, but being stubborn, I kept the Miskatonic/Syndicate, but shifted the emphasis on finishing before the other side gets started. So, no cards cost more than three and there's lots of investigation icons around to wrap up stories as fast as possible:

Miskatonic Characters
Hapless Graduate Student (AP8)
Dr. Carson (AP7)
Laboratory Assistant (CS)
Cafeteria Lady (AP6)
Mad Genius (CS)
Strange Librarian (CS)
Student Archaelogist (CS)
Anthropology Advisor (CS)
Chess Prodigy x3 (AP8)
Natural Philosopher (CS)
Shortsighted Librarian (AP10)
Steve Clarney (CS)
Visiting Author (CS)

Syndicate Characters
Clover Club Bouncer (CS)
Demented Caretaker x3 (AP6)
Island Hermit x2 (AP6)
Patsy (CS)
Clover Club Torch Singer (CS)
Extortionist (CS)
Fugutive Scientist x3 (AP8)
Hard Case (CS)
Triggerman (CS)
Syndicate Liaison (CS)

Neutral Characters
Clever Zoog x3 (AP10)

Miskatonic Support
Atwood Science Hall (CS)
Open for Inspection (CS)
Caelano Fragments (CS)

Syndicate Support
Arkham Advertiser Archives (AP8)

Miskatonic Event
Binding (CS)
Dr. Carson's Treatment (CS)
Feast of Famine (CS)

Syndicate Event
Get On Yer Feet! (CS)
Like a Moth (CS)
Legacy of Ramses (CS)
Low Blow (CS)
Panic (CS)

Neutral Event
Political Demonstration (CS)
With a Fine Toother Comb x3 (AP8)

Neutral Conspiracy
The Endless Investigation (AP8)

If you give this a spin, let me hear how it went!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do so. Seems very similar to what I'm trying to do with Agency/Misk. At least there's a lot of overlap in the Misk portions. I tried to use Tear Gas, Like a moth, etc. to do some destruction, and to always be able to outskill him, but if you can't get characters down fast enough, AND he gets his two Bringers of Fire down OR his 2 "Take Control of opps character" cards, (even if one is just for a single turn, it can turn a sure win into a disaster at a story), then you lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, Chris/Radynski, SPOILERS on the latest pack, PLEASE !

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Will do so. Seems very similar to what I'm trying to do with Agency/Misk. At least there's a lot of overlap in the Misk portions. I tried to use Tear Gas, Like a moth, etc. to do some destruction, and to always be able to outskill him, but if you can't get characters down fast enough, AND he gets his two Bringers of Fire down OR his 2 "Take Control of opps character" cards, (even if one is just for a single turn, it can turn a sure win into a disaster at a story), then you lose.

When I'm playing against Hastur, I'll always hold onto a wounding event (if I've got one) waiting for that second Bringer to show his face. The second he plays that guy down, you kill him off before he has the chance to use the action. Also, 3 copies of Chess prodigy is really your best friend in that deck.

Can we see what your deck looks like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
So, Chris/Radynski, SPOILERS on the latest pack, PLEASE !

Sorry, Chick. I really don't have time to type out spoilers. I barely have time to visit this forum.

But Open Graves is insanely good. 3-cost Shub support card which you can sacrifice if another character is destroyed to play a 3-skill or lower character from your discard pile. Yeah, that's right. Insane. Combo that with Gibbering Soul and Eat the Dead and you have character vomitting on a level never seen before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fel Barros
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Senior Game Developer at CMON
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me see if I get this straight

I buy a set and all expansions, a friend buy his own set all expansions, each one deckbuild his own deck and we face each other?

Sounds good enough for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FakeDutch wrote:
Let me see if I get this straight

I buy a set and all expansions, a friend buy his own set all expansions, each one deckbuild his own deck and we face each other?

Sounds good enough for me

I'm currently using just the Core set, with the setup suggested in the rules: 2 factions + 7 neutrals. Ancient Horrors AP is on its way, after that don't think I'll get anything more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, finally had a chance to build the suggested deck and give it a shot. First game, I owned him 3-1, and it wasn't even that close. Second game, I didn't read all of his characters abilities, forgot what Erich Zahn did, etc. Cost me a story early which probably cost me the game. But 1 out of 2 sure beats the 1 out of 16 I had been seeing. Now I just have to beat him enough to get him to want to make a faction change. Though he will probably want to use the new AP cards first. I'll have to see if there's anything in there that helps this deck. Also, Panic is a bad card for this deck. Might be usable in a defensive hail mary, but if I use this card, all of my guys are going to be exhausted, along with some of his...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maik Hennebach
Germany
Frankfurt
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Also, Panic is a bad card for this deck. Might be usable in a defensive hail mary, but if I use this card, all of my guys are going to be exhausted, along with some of his...

Which is why the ideal time to play Panic is right at the end of the other player's turn, right before your own characters are readied. Then, it should prove to be a good bit more useful ...

Cheerio,
Maik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.