Subject: Can You Look At Your Own Civ Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received the game, but have not played yet. Are you allowed to look through your Civ cards once they are placed face down on your board? I would think so, but doesn't seem to be covered. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I believe most people play that you can look at your own. I prefer that. The game isn't about testing your memory and it seems logical you would know what advances your civilization made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I believe you're not supposed to. That said, I never begrudge my wife flipping over her pile of cards if she wants to (she'd hurt me if I tried, I think).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stackurski
United States
Mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I love almost all games, play Boardgames with my wife, have three kids, generally enjoy cats and understand and like those bumper stickers with the little fishies sprouting legs.
badge
This happy cat is excited about new board games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never stopped anyone from looking. I know I'd have trouble ever collecting a decent collection of Green cards if I didn't look blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play that you are allowed to look through your own...
Whether or not it's in the rules explicitly stated, I couldn't say. But we don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
We always allow looking at the cards. They are part of your village and as far as I understand it the cards are like improvements that are smaller than buildings thus can be hidden from your opponants.

Discoverying pottery or the wheel and getting bonus points due to making better buildings or tools are bonuses that neighbour villages wouldnt be able to detect from a distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Vitali
Italy
Casalecchio di Reno
Bologna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play as You can always look at Your cards, just to know which green card you have or what kind of card you need to score more at the end of the game.

But that's all. No possibility to look at the face down deck near the board.

I'm thinking to let player count the face down cards civ. cards to let them know how longer the game will last... but I'm not sure about that.

Cheers,
Alberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Online implementation on Brettspielwelt also lets you look at your cards (but not at the cards of the other players).

Edit: Just had a look in the revised official german rules:
Quote:
Jeder Spieler stapelt seine Karten verdeckt auf dem entsprechenden Ablageplatz
seines Tableaus. Er kann sie jederzeit ansehen.

Tranlates to:
Every player stacks his cards face down on the appropriate storage space
of his tableau. He may look at them at anytime.

That should do it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds definitive enough for me, even if I can't read German! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst the rules state that civ advances are placed face down, our group has always played with these cards fully open to view, usually spread to the side of the individual player boards.

The purchases are not done in secret so everyone is aware what has been bought and since nothing prevents anyone writing down this information there does not seem to be any point in hiding them, otherwise it simply becomes a test of the players memories.
The only civ advance we do not leave open is the free one which comes with the Writing civ advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Planar wrote:
The only civ advance we do not leave open is the free one which comes with the Writing civ advance.

Is that house variant you're playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
Planar wrote:

I thought he meant the Civ card that grants you a bonus Civ card used only in final scotring:

Quote:
Additional card, only for the final scoring (1 card)
The player takes the top-most civilization card from the face down stack. It looks at it and places it face
down with his other civilization cards. He scores this card only in the final scoring. HE does not use the
upper part at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jaysachs wrote:
Planar wrote:

I thought he meant the Civ card that grants you a bonus Civ card used only in final scotring:

Quote:
Additional card, only for the final scoring (1 card)
The player takes the top-most civilization card from the face down stack. It looks at it and places it face
down with his other civilization cards. He scores this card only in the final scoring. HE does not use the
upper part at all.

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was pretty sure the English rules explicitly state you can't look at the Civ cards you have acquired, but with so many people stating otherwise, I'm now in doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
I was pretty sure the English rules explicitly state you can't look at the Civ cards you have acquired, but with so many people stating otherwise, I'm now in doubt.

The english rules are online at Rio Grande Website: Stone Age Rules
They say nothing about looking at your cards or not.

The revised germen rules however have added that little sentence "You may look at them at any time."

Believe me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play pretty much the BSW version.

you can look at your own cards, you can't ask how many cards other people have and the number of cards left in the remaining pile is known just like the number of huts left in any building pile is known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.