Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

High-Bid» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Wait? What? Did that really happen? Game over in round 2? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wbc [+] [View All]
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Players: Mike, Tony, Wally and me (Neil)

Course of action:

Open box and separate things...begin reading rules. This is after all a 3M bookcase game the rules are short and printed on the inside of the lid.

Rules read we begin to play. Upon looking at my hand I see that I had not 1 but 2 "Buyers Cards" along with 2 of the 4 "Sterling" cards that are required for the set. As you can use a single Buyers Card as a wild in any set I see I'm already 3/4ths of the way to having the set which is valued at $4,800. As you only need $5,000 to trigger game end I'm pretty excited. I only need 1 more Sterling and I've got my first set.

Card one is put up for action I believe it was one of the antique weapons. Tony bought that card and I think he sold one card from his hand. It was our first game so we all had to figure out how to really play the game.

Tony then flips the top card to auction it's a Buyers Card and per the rules flips another so the auction is now for both cards. I am sitting left of Tony who just won so I open the bid.

"$2,000" I say.

"How much did we start the game with" asks Mike.

"$2,000" I grin.

"Pass" Mikes says.

Wally and Tony also are forced to pass as they can't bid either. That whole bidding high enough that no one can outbid me left little choice now didn't it?

I win the auction add both cards to my hand and declare that I am "Going Out." With my completed set of Sterling and 2 additional buyers card (valued at $500 each at end of game) I have a total of $5,800, enough to declare I'm going out and more than any other player at the table so I win.

---------------------------

This game was a fluke I agree. I had an extremely unlucky hand I admit that. Yet this very short game of High Bid shows in a short form how the game is less an auction game and more of a race to get the card you need kind of game. I could have probably bid lower on it and won it at a lower price and therefore won by a wider margin. Why? Because I held 2 of the 4 Sterling cards the 4th was on the block the chances are very good no one at the table wanted it. The last Sterling card was probably in the deck. Still it was quite fun in the 2nd round of the game to go "All In" like that. Sterling is not the highest valued set either. The game needs something and I'm not sure what but I think it can be improved with some house rules.

Well that's my opinion anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
At WBC they have a few rules to reduce the effects of extreme luck. There's the "enforced rainbow" rule and they also give each player exactly one Buyer's Card in the opening deal (so no one can get two).

Here's a link:

http://www.boardgamers.org/yearbkex/aucpge.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
WOW thanks a lot that's a pretty cool link. We'll have to try that out next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think that they go fairly quickly that we should think of them more as 'hands' and maybe play three or four 'hands' in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
At WBC they have a few rules to reduce the effects of extreme luck. There's the "enforced rainbow" rule and they also give each player exactly one Buyer's Card in the opening deal (so no one can get two).

Here's a link:

I like the rainbow rule. I think I like that more than my $10,000 to win idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yep I'd really like to try it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that the Columbus OH area gamers are quite fond of this game. I suspect it works pretty well for them or they wouldn't keep playing it over and over. They're probably the ones who provided a lot of the input into the rules used at WBC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this yesterday for the first time. I think you can just throw out the win trigger amount altogether. The game doesn't take long to play til the deck runs out. Just count your assets at the end. That's what we did, and it went well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
lgoldberg wrote:
Played this yesterday for the first time. I think you can just throw out the win trigger amount altogether. The game doesn't take long to play til the deck runs out. Just count your assets at the end. That's what we did, and it went well.

That is a great idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Benson
United States
Pleasanton
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

Here's a link:

Eric, do you know the rainbow rule? The link is dead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.