Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm assuming this is just an oversight of the manual, but on pg 14 it says:
Quote:
Yellow tokens representing Discontent Workers are not considered to be in your Yellow Bank. In fact, they are still considered to be in your Unused Workers Pool. You are allowed to use them as Workers to build new Buildings, Farms, and Mines

So that section seems to imply that I can't create military units from discontent workers. Again, I'm assuming this is an oversight of the manual. That would be a very strange rule otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackTower wrote:
Quote:
Yellow tokens representing Discontent Workers are not considered to be in your Yellow Bank. In fact, they are still considered to be in your Unused Workers Pool. You are allowed to use them as Workers to build new Buildings, Farms, and Mines

So that section seems to imply that I can't create military units from discontent workers. Again, I'm assuming this is an oversight of the manual. That would be a very strange rule otherwise.

hmmm, enscription would in fact be more logical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hoppe
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not an oversight as far as I understand it. However you will end up with unhappiness if you use your discontent worker to make a military unit without clearing up the unhappiness. This would result in a very unwanted and undesirable uprising where you would not score any points produce any resources or food. You wouldn't even be able to draw military cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caladore wrote:
It is not an oversight as far as I understand it. However you will end up with unhappiness if you use your discontent worker to make a military unit without clearing up the unhappiness. This would result in a very unwanted and undesirable uprising where you would not score any points produce any resources or food. You wouldn't even be able to draw military cards.

If the discontent worker is no longer needed because, say, an arena or temple was upgraded, why would it be a problem to conscript them in the military?

I think the point is moot though, as it doesn't take an action to move a discontent worker to the worker pool where it can then be normally conscripted from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackTower wrote:
Quote:

That is certainly how it seems to read! However, I don't think that sentence is a restriction on usage as much as an elaboration on what "they are still considered to be in your Unused Workers Pool," means, and that they can therefore be used to build stuff, i.e., blah blah blah. If anything is missing in that sentence, it's "etc."

Although, restriction or not, it wouldn't really change anything. You would probably never take a last action to build a military unit with a discontent worker because that would cause an uprising. What might happen is that you would resolve the happiness issue and then build the unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Caladore wrote:

If that were the intent/rationale for the statement, then it would also apply to farms and mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Jahns
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That is certainly how it seems to read! However, I don't think that sentence is a restriction on usage as much as an elaboration on what "they are still considered to be in your Unused Workers Pool," means, and that they can therefore be used to build stuff, i.e., blah blah blah. If anything is missing in that sentence, it's "etc."

Although, restriction or not, it wouldn't really change anything. You would probably never take a last action to build a military unit with a discontent worker because that would cause an uprising. What might happen is that you would resolve the happiness issue and then build the unit.

I completely agree. It doesn't seem prudent to change him to a military unit [or any non happiness generating building] and forgo production because of the uprising. The wording in the manual just made me take a second look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackTower wrote:
So that section seems to imply that I can't create military units from discontent workers.

No, it says you can use them for buildings, farms, and mines. It doesn't say that you can't use them for military units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I love Games
badge
I like playing games
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackTower wrote:

I completely agree. It doesn't seem prudent to change him to a military unit [or any non happiness generating building] and forgo production because of the uprising. The wording in the manual just made me take a second look.

Actually, I think you might be missing the meaning of the wording.

You can only create buildings and units from workers in your unused worker pool. The sentence is saying discontent workers are still part of your unused worker pool (the little box that starts with one guy in it at the beginning of the game).

The Yellow Bank is the area where when you "buy" yellow tokens moves to the unused worker pool.

I think what is being said is that discontent workers are still part of the worker pool (and thus an unused marker and can be used for events that allow stuff to be built if you have an unused worker), and they are not yellow markers that need to be built again by paying food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.