Popular Tags: [View All]
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From several threads that I read and answers posted on my threads, it appears that a single English speaking person might have problem finding gaming partners for test playing games around Essen.

Maybe we can use BGG booth as a meeting point for people like me that might have this problem. I'm sure there are more people who would like to test play same games as me and we can go together and venture the wonderful land of Essen halls

Hope BGG people (Aldie, Derk) won't mind this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Not a bit. I would only ask that people refrain from playing games in our booth. But we would absolutely like to be a meeting place for people. Kinda like the real 'Geek, now that I think about it. You can't play games there, but you can talk about 'em and meet others that play 'em.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would appreciate a somehow "official" sticker/badge - image available here for download with the BGG-guy and a free space for your username. People could stick that as a badge on their chest, so others can recognize instantly - Ooh, another guy/gal from BGG and having a closer look - "Hey, this is Derk!" or "Do I read correct - YOU are ycyclop?"

A booth (or spot?) to meet up would be nice, too. I would rather see it a s a meeting point - there is sooo much going on, it would rather not a place to stay long, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sticker/badge is a great idea. Lets ask the Admins to make an image available for downloading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I just printed my Avatar on a badge..

Or better:
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
made a t-shirt with his avatar

edit: how to get "EYE of NiGHT" his name as a "user" in this post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
Sticker/badge is a great idea. Lets ask the Admins to make an image available for downloading

I think every self respecting BGGer should print his avatar+username as a badge and wear it when visiting the booth. How else am I to know who I'm talking to?

That would really be helpful. Esp. when trying to spot Aldi in a crowded place like Essen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
Last year I just printed my Avatar on a badge..

Or better:
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
made a t-shirt with his avatar

edit: how to get "EYE of NiGHT" his name as a "user" in this post?
It's [ username=EYE of NiGHT ]
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Userblock generator. Good idea. We'll put it on the list...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
From several threads that I read and answers posted on my threads, it appears that a single English speaking person might have problem finding gaming partners for test playing games around Essen.

Been there, done that, took lots of pictures.

You can camp a couple of places and try some things, but yeah if English speakers move as a group they make for enough people to get a demo.

I'll totally meet up to be part of an English gang!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilad, you may actually find it easier if you hunt alone. The thing is, after the show is open, all the tables on the hot stands go immediately. Trying to find a free table for a troupe of gamers is next to impossible.

However, most young Germans speak excellent English and if you see three people starting a game, be forward and ask politely if you can join them. They have to learn the game and also coach you, so be very patient and roll with it. If they make a mistake, just be cool, you can figure it out later.

But this way, you're much more likely to get a game in where you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Gilad, you may actually find it easier if you hunt alone. The thing is, after the show is open, all the tables on the hot stands go immediately. Trying to find a free table for a troupe of gamers is next to impossible.

Yeah, finding an empty table at the hottest stands can be an issue, but it's just as much an issue alone as with a group if your German isn't up to speed for game-learning: while practically all of the people at the booths speak English and are willing to demo in this language, the default is German, so a solo player coming into a demo late cannot join. So the issue really is timing.

A solo player is not enough to justify starting to teach a demo in English, though, so if you have two or three then you can just wait for the next slot to open up. At the less-crowded booths this is preferable to hanging around alone IMO as most of them will have a game or two available to be played (or opening up quickly), but at the more-crowded booths as you say, bring a sandwich: you'll be there all day.

Having the BGG booth as a landmark for meeting a few others to roam the floor with from time to time seems to be a great compromise, though: you can wander alone as you need or meet up as you like. So yay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.