Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could anyone advise of an ACW game with a high level strategic map that would work well with an area of 900 -1000 hexes.

Many thanks

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
Sounds like a half-mapper (ie approx 17"x22") or else a full one-mapper that has a lot of charts and tables and less map area.

I presume you want full coast-to-coast, for doing the somewhat speculative New Mexico - California campaign, or do you just want West to somewhere in the midst of Texas and Kansas?

The only strategic level ACW hex-and-counter game of which I am aware is the old classic Victory Games' The Civil War.

This is the right hex area, but is not coast-to-coast and does not show New York City or Chicago. But I would say for all real intents this still well covers the ACW strategic scope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IrishBouzouki wrote:
Sounds like a half-mapper (ie approx 17"x22") or else a full one-mapper that has a lot of charts and tables and less map area.

I presume you want full coast-to-coast, for doing the somewhat speculative New Mexico - California campaign, or do you just want West to somewhere in the midst of Texas and Kansas?

The only strategic level ACW hex-and-counter game of which I am aware is the old classic Victory Games' The Civil War.

This is the right hex area, but is not coast-to-coast and does not show New York City or Chicago. But I would say for all real intents this still well covers the ACW strategic scope.

The Far West Map (included in the game The Civil War that has the pictured map) extends the area of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys I was trawling through the various games and images myself and this one had looked the most likely that I had come across to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
It would take a little imagination, but you could also use or adapt...

Invasion: America
(or rather part of it - you certainly do not need Canada and Mexico)

I also thought of SS Amerika...

(which looks very much the same as I:A in terms of map-scale)

or Dixie...

or Minuteman: The Second American Revolution...

or After the Holocaust...

But I guess I am showing my age again. Thanks for inspiring the time trip. Some of those games were kinda duds in my book, but some were classics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim maher
Ireland
Dublin 16
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks John for giving me a no of options to consider I really appreciate it.We are probably of the same vintage (although I reckon I have the mileage on you!).I am just looking at something which may or may not work trying to combine a strategic game with some miniatures. Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out War Between The States (second edition) by Decision Games. Not sure how many hexes it has. Probably more than the 1000 your looking for. But it's a monster map. Or to be more accurate, three maps together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J

Mt Crawford
Virginia
msg tools
xlhrider wrote:
Check out War Between The States (second edition) by Decision Games. Not sure how many hexes it has. Probably more than the 1000 your looking for. But it's a monster map. Or to be more accurate, three maps together.
Good one. Looks like a 3-mapper though so about 5000 hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.