Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran into a couple of question marks during the sessions we had the other day.

For the sake of these questions, I call the die number rolled as Building Points (BP) and the other points as Victory Points (VP).

* The rules state that connecting to, and crossing an opponent's line costs one VP to be paid to the opponent in question (except if you connect/cross in a city). As we saw it, this is IN ADDITION to the BP the track building costs. Correct?

* The rules state that building parallel to an opponents track costs 2 VP per half hex. Now, we didn't build much parallel tracks, but as I understand, you can't really build just half a hex. The wording "2 VP per half hex" is just another wording for "4 points from the middle of one hex to the middle of the next". Correct? (Just wanted to check)

* Turn order: During the Racing phase, there are a number of situations where the turn order can botch things up a bit. Deciding on whether to participate or not doesn't usually have to be done in turn order, but it sometimes can matter. Is this decided all at the same time or in order?

* Paying during Racing Phase: The rules state that the paying difference between players can't be more than 10. We interpreted this as per player pair, meaning Red can still be in if she has to pay Blue 5 and Green 6. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Holmes
United Kingdom
Shipley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Zimeon"]
The rules state that building parallel to an opponents track costs 2 VP per half hex. Now, we didn't build much parallel tracks, but as I understand, you can't really build just half a hex. The wording "2 VP per half hex" is just another wording for "4 points from the middle of one hex to the middle of the next". Correct? (Just wanted to check)
[q]

It's a long time since I played railway rivals so I can't really answer the other points. As for being able to build parallel for half a hex - yes is it possible. If you imagine a hex with sides numbered 1 to 6 and a line passing through the hex from side 1 to side 4, a line can enter at side 2 (for example) and exit at side 4 thereby running parallel for half a hex.

ps. I'm not sure why my post is appearing as a quote!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
We ran into a couple of question marks during the sessions we had the other day.

For the sake of these questions, I call the die number rolled as Building Points (BP) and the other points as Victory Points (VP).

* The rules state that connecting to, and crossing an opponent's line costs one VP to be paid to the opponent in question (except if you connect/cross in a city). As we saw it, this is IN ADDITION to the BP the track building costs. Correct?

* The rules state that building parallel to an opponents track costs 2 VP per half hex. Now, we didn't build much parallel tracks, but as I understand, you can't really build just half a hex. The wording "2 VP per half hex" is just another wording for "4 points from the middle of one hex to the middle of the next". Correct? (Just wanted to check)

* Turn order: During the Racing phase, there are a number of situations where the turn order can botch things up a bit. Deciding on whether to participate or not doesn't usually have to be done in turn order, but it sometimes can matter. Is this decided all at the same time or in order?

* Paying during Racing Phase: The rules state that the paying difference between players can't be more than 10. We interpreted this as per player pair, meaning Red can still be in if she has to pay Blue 5 and Green 6. Correct?

1. Yes, VPs are in addition to BPs
2. You can build half a hex if the other half of your build is in a city, where parallel payments do not apply. But your interpretation is fine.
3. What usually happens is that negotiations for joint runs, etc., carries on in a sort of everyone shouting chaos, rather than in a strict one player first, thing. Depending on how you interpret the rule, there are circumstances where players who have to declare early (ie those with the most cash) can get stuffed up. So player 1 could propose and agree a joint run with player 4. Player 1 then says he is in the race joint with no 4. Player 2 passes, player 3 proposes a joint run with player 4, and player 4 accepts. Player 3 enters. Player 4 now has to decide what to do and could stuff up either player 1 or player 3 (or both) by doing something other than agreed. You may prefer to make the interpretation that joint runs have to be declared in the turn of the player with most VPs. i.e. in my scenario, above, if player 4 agrees to go joint with no 1, then that is locked in and player 4 cannot renege on the deal. But in general, the richest first thing does attempt to help to even things out - the early players to decide have less information to make their decisions upon.
4. We have always interpreted it that way. Note that you CAN pay a single player more than 10, as long as that player is paying you enough that the nett cost is less than 10 each way. This is the so-called exchange of running powers. We play that as being something that 'just happens' - ie you do not have to approve an exchange of running powers, and you cannot prevent your track from being used that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_mrholmes wrote:
It's a long time since I played railway rivals so I can't really answer the other points. As for being able to build parallel for half a hex - yes is it possible. If you imagine a hex with sides numbered 1 to 6 and a line passing through the hex from side 1 to side 4, a line can enter at side 2 (for example) and exit at side 4 thereby running parallel for half a hex.

It will… but it will have to run parallel for at least half the NEXT hex, right?

AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
2. You can build half a hex if the other half of your build is in a city, where parallel payments do not apply. But your interpretation is fine.

The rules that I have state that any connection in a city hex costs no VP fees, but if you want to run parallel to another line out of the city, you still have to pay the VP fee. Incorrect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gingell
United Kingdom
Leeds
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two types of payment to rival players for building in the same hex as them:
(a) 1 VP for meeting another player's track in the centre of a hex. This payment applies in all situations except in a town (where no payments are made at all), It applies when you enter the hex in parallel to that other player's track and also when you enter from a different side and either stop at the centre junction, cross the track to exit on the far side or turn to exit the hex parallel to the other player's earlier track. If two players have already built in that hex then you have to pay 1 VP to both.
(b) 2 VPs for building alongside another track for each half of the hex that has parallel track. If you build parallel to two other tracks then you have to pay 2 VPs to both for the parallel build.

Payment costs to each rival player within each hex can thus be -1, -3 or -5 VPs depending on whether you merely join, build parallel for half the hex or build parallel for the whole hex.

This means that following another player in building one hex out from a town costs 2 VPs for the parallel build plus 1 VP for the join in the new hex, giving a total of -3 VPs.

It is simplest to calculate the BP and VP payments in completely different ways:
(a) Track building should be worked out first: each track section involves spending Build Points to build track from the centre of one hex to the centre of the next hex,
(b) Payments to rivals should be dealt with afterwards: this requires payment of Victory Points to other players for each individual hex where the tracks join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.