Subject: Amyitis or Ys ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i want to buy one of these games but i cant chooice as you can understand please help a bit.
I like all kinds of games(euro and ameritrash) but especialy the games with trade , goods, worker placement, buildings, many options and nice looking components.
some favorits are caylus, agricola, le havre, royal palace, in the year of the dragon and stone age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gargll
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ys has a bluffing mechanism through some semi-blind bidding. Amyitis is more "classical" in its approach and uses a twist of worker placement coupled with all sorts of majority mechanisms. I particularly like the temples majority system. While I didn't care much for Ys (aside for the user-driven market which sets the price of gems), I really enjoy Amyitis. It also scales well from two to four.

For what's its worth: I enjoy all games you mention (but haven't played royal palace) as well as goa which I suggest you try too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say from the games you listed that you enjoy, that Amyitis is the choice for you.
Ys is one of my personal favorite games, but it doesn't fit in as well with what you have listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Velivassakis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amyitis is a better option according to your preferences as you describe them. I agree that it plays also well with 2 to 4 players. The player interaction is high and there is actually no downtime.

On the other hand Ys is a very good game of area majority. On your turn you play two brokers with values 0-4 into different areas. One is face down and one is face up (visible). So, at the end of the round, when all brokers are placed (6 per player) the majority in each area is determined and the best player earns the bonus that each area provides. That's the main mechanism of the game. It's something different but I can't be sure that you will enjoy it.

I like both games very much and you should consider to buy both of them, too! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Amyitis has become one of my favourites since I was guided with extreme patience by SteveK2 on how to play it. I was absolutely lost at first, but that is me laugh I play it once a week without fail....love it.

It is a gorgeous looking game and plays well as a 2 player, too.

Admittedly, I never played Ys, but if you ask those who have played both then maybe you can make up your mind.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japhy Sullivan
Canada
flag msg tools
Though I've only played Caylus, from the ones you listed Amyitis is your best bet. They are both great games, but Amyitis would make it on my top 5 games and Ys wouldn't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.