Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's currently being published by Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro), Avalon Hill and Diamond and probably more. Are they all the same or is one better than the other in terms of components, board, etc.?

Thanks,
Nate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the old AH one with the wooden pieces when I was a kid; I've also played homemade variants as well, and the newest Hasbro iteration. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter. The game is all about the wheeling and dealing (and oh-so crucial backstabbing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many different editions of Diplomacy, but only one is 'currently published,' that being the most recent edition with the counters instead of wooden or metal tokens to represent armies and navies. Older editions are available on eBay, etc. Avalon Hill (pre-Hasbro) even had a deluxe edition, which added little national flags to adorn the wooden blocks. AH also published a variant titled Colonial Diplomacy decades ago; it's Diplomacy rules set on a 19th Century mapboard running from the Balkans to Japan.

The rules remain the same. Many fans will argue that the editions with the wooden tokens are best, but it's all a matter of personal preference.

The first question is: What's your price range? Or to put it another way, how much are you willing to spend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own the deluxe version--as mentioned here, it has wooden pieces with national flags. Gives it quite the 19th century feel, and although the game would shine no matter what version you played, if you can find it, I reccommend the deluxe version.

Diis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are several older versions on ebay with wooden pieces. While the allure of the sturdier pieces is strong, I could just go with Amazon and get a new copy with cardboard pieces for $25.

I've actually never played before, I've just had some people mention an interest in it in the last few days and that got me thinking about it.

Thanks for all the info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaadd Powell
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love colonial Diplomacy SO MUCH more than base - same concepts, but the map is not so 'obvious' as to what typical, good moves are.

Downside, it's hard as hell to find, out of print, and rarish. I got a used copy for 45$ about 5 years ago, and the last copy I saw for sale was going for around 90$.

I wish someone would reprint it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate_001 wrote:
Well, there are several older versions on ebay with wooden pieces. While the allure of the sturdier pieces is strong, I could just go with Amazon and get a new copy with cardboard pieces for $25.

I think that is the best plan. This is one of the few games in which really cool, sturdy pieces are really not necessary. You don't really handle them all that much, and most of the time is spent away from the board.

Just make sure that you let everyone know ahead of time that just because you plan on betraying them during this game, you still like them and they should still be your friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
Just make sure that you let everyone know ahead of time that just because you plan on betraying them during this game, you still like them and they should still be your friend.

I'm actually making a mental list of who NOT to include in sessions where Diplomacy is played. Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2000ish AH print is my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that says Ave Caesar on the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.