Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

After reading through the rules, I don't see much mention of the roles people bring up on the forums. I realize Communications should be looking for the time alerts and Commander should be worried about the whole process, but what do the other roles mean? I might have completely missed it, so I thought I would ask here. Have a great one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dippel
United States
Merrick
NY
flag msg tools
Commentary! The OverText
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Cory,

The rules suggest that the Security Officer is responsible for dealing with internal threats and the Tactical Officer is responsible for moving the pieces during the resolution round. The Chief Engineer isn't mentioned, but we play that his/her job is to coordinate the flow of energy in the ship (and maybe jiggle the mouse).

Also, the Captain serves as the first player, and the Communications Officer marks all the incoming threats and keeps everyone aware of the Data Transfers, etc.

This way everyone playing has a role.

Of course, this is all theoretical. Usually, it goes more like:

"Uh, what are you doing? I think I'll... Should I go blue? Who's firing? Don't do that!! Where am I? Who's jiggling the mouse? How fast is that thing? Are you using the lift? End of phase?!?! I haven't put any cards down! I'll just try this... BOOM!"
...and the ship blows up.

But the shiny badges helped us feel important during our ten minutes of fame.

-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Wootton
United Kingdom
Clevedon
North Somerset
flag msg tools
There are only 3 named roles mentioned in the Space Alert Handbook:

Captain / Command(er) - Supposed to do what it says on the tin

Communications Officer - Listens to the soundtrack and makes sure nothing is missed and draws External Threat Cards

Security Chief - Responsible for Internal Threats and Drawing Internal Threat Cards

I haven't got the game yet but I would imagine the other roles are "in house" roles created by game fans but fit in with the flavour of the game so that all 5 team members have a "title" and are responsible for something (which is exactly what I had in mind I would be doing in my gaming group)

Chief Engineer - responsible for ensuring the ships reactors are kept powered up so that all systems can function and have power when needed.(Probably the guy who needs to worry about maintaining the bridge computer as well)

Tactical Officer - Responsible for organising weapons and shields and moving pieces around during the resolution phase.

This gives everyone a focus and I guess in theory helps with organisation and planning (this would probably depend on your gaming group though as I know a few of my not so frequent players will still cause mayhem whether they have a title or not!!!)

Hope that gives you an idea

**EDIT** Or what Chris said managed to pip me to the post!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reece
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have evolved to playing a zone defense, at least at the start of each mission - "OK, unless I don't have the cards I will start as blue deck officer." Once the hands are revealed we sometimes switch roles - but it is helpful to have a baseline plan to make changes to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.