♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I went to Wal-Mart to pick up some necessities, since the morning means that fewer people are there, and fewer people makes the trip much more bearable. I got up to the self-checkout aisle (I repeat: fewer people makes the trip much more bearable), scanned my stuff, and ran my debit card. I asked for cash back. I entered $10--

BEEP
YOU MUST ENTER CASHBACK AMOUNTS IN MULTIPLES OF $20

--or something. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it stressed the importance of, at least, a $20 minimum. I figured it worked like an ATM, where they typically cram it full of twenties to make the machines work more easily, and so they can put the maximum amount of cash in there so it doesn't run out by, say, noon. So I punched in $20, and...

The machine spit out two $10 bills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard S
United States
Rensselaer
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ain't technology wonderful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred Meyer stores around here give change back in fives, which is great if you want something less than $20. It doesn't give out any twenties at all though. If you want something like $60 back, it will give you 12 $5 bills. One, at, a, time. ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk, ca-chunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
I love when it says to use $10 bills, you ask for $10 and the machine beeps saying it doesn't have enough notes for that amount.

Lovely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one:

Solicitors who call from a crappy cell phone and don't understand/borderline get upset when you have to ask them to repeat their name and spell it several times as well as their number.

Not only am I being nice to you when you are soliciting my business, I am trying to get your information (that I'm really not interested in), yet you become upset, question me, and all on a crappy cell phone connection?

I know and have noticed that solicitors are getting pretty desperate in these tough economic times, but they are not scoring points by using a crappy cell phone/line!!!

Also, not keeping their temper/frustration under control is a definite minus for me.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I went to Wal-Mart to pick up some necessities, since the morning means that fewer people are there, and fewer people makes the trip much more bearable. I got up to the self-checkout aisle (I repeat: fewer people makes the trip much more bearable), scanned my stuff, and ran my debit card. I asked for cash back. I entered $10--

BEEP

--or something. I can't remember exactly what it said, but it stressed the importance of, at least, a $20 minimum. I figured it worked like an ATM, where they typically cram it full of twenties to make the machines work more easily, and so they can put the maximum amount of cash in there so it doesn't run out by, say, noon. So I punched in $20, and...

My recommendation:

Should clear the problem right up and provide a great story to tell around the table at Thanksgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Matchen
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...also known as the Jack Bauer Method of Instant Stress Relief.

You know, $10 *is* a multiple of $20. You multiply by 0.5. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Pengelly
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

BEEP

There just doing their bit to help end the economic crisis, by forcing to you take out more money than you need, which you will then spend.
Everybody knows that money in your pocket/wallet simply disappears whereas you have to go out of your way to spend money in the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I got up to the self-checkout aisle

These annoy me. I scanned my own stuff. I packed my own stuff. I saved you from having to employ someone to do that. Where's my damn discount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, ooooh, I got one!

The Metrocard vending machines in the New York subways, 'bout the only place in the country that uses dollor coins - buy your $2.25 card with a $20, and here comes your "pile'o'change" tm.

*ugh*

But try paying for something with them, and see the looks you get . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Germany, the ATM gives you cash like a game, in nice sets of denominations down to 5 euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
In Germany, the ATM gives you cash like a game, in nice sets of denominations down to 5 euros.
Oh yeah? Well in the good U-S of A the ATMs crap your money into crumpled piles of twentys! Only twentys!! Denominations are for pansies! We only need twentys! We wipe our collective asses with fives and tens! Ones you say? What the hell is a one dollar bill? Don't they just print those for kids to play with?
USA
USA
USA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
The Metrocard vending machines in the New York subways, 'bout the only place in the country that uses dollor coins - buy your $2.25 card with a $20, and here comes your "pile'o'change" tm.

I rather like the dollar coins, now that they're a distinctive "gold." If only Treasury would get rid of the silver ones, they might catch on and save printing $1 bills. The local post office uses them for change in their vending machines.

Has anyone noticed businesses often don't get $10 bills from the bank? Just $1, $5, $20. Makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I'm so glad our Wal-Mart hasn't got a self-service checkout. I pray it never happens. The local ShopKo has these, and they are hella annoying.

And I haven't got a clue how to operate them. Several times that I've tried, I've ended up just giving up and going to the VERY LONG LINES at the regular checkout.

What's the problem with having a self-service checkout on top of normal lines? Isn't that the best of both worlds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Oh yeah? Well in the good U-S of A the ATMs crap your money into crumpled piles of twentys! Only twentys!! Denominations are for pansies! We only need twentys! We wipe our collective asses with fives and tens! Ones you say? What the hell is a one dollar bill? Don't they just print those for kids to play with?

Step. Away. From. The. Coffee. Pot.
Put. The. Mug. Down.
Put. The. Mug. Down. And. No. One. Gets. Hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

Step. Away. From. The. Coffee. Pot.
Put. The. Mug. Down.
Put. The. Mug. Down. And. No. One. Gets. Hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hopefully becoming a restaurant owner soon! Peter Melanson
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the scam with our banks and ATM's:

Suppose you want $20.

You go up to the ATM, insert your card, key in your pin.

Is it a different bank machine? If it is, well there's a charge of $1.50 for using it.

Oh you used the interact network, that'll be another $1.75 please.

Oh, and because you have a chequing account, and you used a machine from a different bank, and you went over your limit for transactions for the month, well we have to charge you another $1.25.

So that $20 actually costs you $24.50.

And you wonder why Canadian banks didn't need bailing out....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the self-checkout at the grocery store - you start by getting a scanner. They even have a cup holder and scanner holder on either side of the shopping cart. We have a Starbucks in the grocery store, so some people drink coffee and shop. I bring my own re-usable recycled bags. All I have to do is pick up an item, scan it, put it in the bag. You can even remove items later that you change your mind about with a delete button. It's nice because I can look at my subtotal as I go to keep an eye on my budget. Then when I get to the register, I just scan a big card over the register that ends the order and scan my shopper ID card. Then I just pay - it even takes paper money, if I were so inclined, but I usually use my debit card. I get a receipt and leave, because everything is already bagged up and ready to go. No waiting in long lines and no bags of detergents mixed with food - ever have liquid soap spill on food? My only gripe, and it's a very minor one, is that the little scanner thingy bing-bings repeatedly about every 5 minutes or so advising me of sale items that it thinks I might want to buy. At first I thought it was scanning things in error, but soon realized, it had to interupt my shopping experience to deliver an important message...cheerios were on sale...sigh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New gripe, fresh off the presses!!

Went to the conveniently close CVS during lunch to buy some stuff. Item is marked $4.99 yet rings up $6.99, the very nice, pierced, but clueless teen looks at me oddly when I tell/show her. Poor thing looks around for the manager, totally lost at this point. Very sweet, but lost.

Finally, a co-worker shows up and she explains it to her. The co-worker takes the discount off--does not show or teach her--and the sale if finalized.

When I check the receipt, they rang up the item for $6.99 and then rang up a $2.00 customer coupon to give me the discount.

Several problems with this:

1)The not-well-trained-to-begin-with clerk did NOT learn how to handle these type of issues and will have to seek help AGAIN the next time, delaying yet another customer for something that is the store's fault!

2) The item ringing up at the wrong price will continue to do so the next time someone purchases one....a discrepancy that messes up inventory, upsets customers, etc., that should have been handled at the store level for all those items.

3) I purchased several items and now have a receipt that could get me a refund of $6.99 instead of the $4.99 I actually paid for the item!! The generic "$2.00 customer coupon" does not actually tie the discount to the item I purchased, basically giving me an extra free $2.00!!

I vividly remembered why I HATE shopping CVS!! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:

3) I purchased several items and now have a receipt that could get me a refund of $6.99 instead of the $4.99 I actually paid for the item!! The generic "$2.00 customer coupon" does not actually tie the discount to the item I purchased, basically giving me an extra free $2.00!!

I vividly remembered why I HATE shopping CVS!! :cry:

Uh... so you should exploit the system. That will teach them to leave loopholes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:

I vividly remembered why I HATE shopping CVS!! cry

Uh... so you should exploit the system. That will teach them to leave loopholes!

It crossed my mind, but I'm a firm believe in not trying to get something for nothing! shake

I'll just not give them my business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christychan
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I like my local CVS - there's always something amusing going on there, up to and including watching a cashier go head over heels once - she wasn't hurt, but I swear at one point her legs were up in the air!

Oh, I thought of thing that's annoying - you can't get the bacon in the restroom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of like the automated check out, at least in grocery stores. I found it really annoying at Home Depot.

I was getting new lights for my kitchen. For some reason--old ballasts?--the fluorescent tubes burn out fast. The first and unrelated annoyance was that HD charges $2 for a 4 foot tube and like $8 for a 3 foot tube, which my bathrooms takes. The next was that the $2 was for the cheap office-blue tubes, and the actual white tubes are $10 or $12. (Solution: Lowes.) The tubes are stowed lengthwise with enough padding that doesn't come with them that you have to pull them out one at a time, just waiting for someone to walk through one of the tubes you're extracting. Anyway, I get my six $2 tubes, an awkward handful, glass rattling against glass--at $2, they're just bare tubes with a bar code--and head for the checkout.

I somehow manage to juggle the tubes while I start the dread machine and put my card in. (The counters seem to be cleverly tilted to shed spills on the floor, not to mention round fluorescent tubes.) One display runs the check out, while another runs the credit check. I juggle the tubes as I move from the checkout panel to the credit panel and back to the checkout panel. "Scan an item." Finally!

I look for a way to say I'm buying six of these. No luck. So I grab one 4 foot tube from the bunch corralled in my left arm. Of course the bar code is in the least convenient place possible--the scanner is just a little grocery-type scanner--and if I can see the bar code, the scanner can't. After much waving of the tube and fencing with the various displays and counters, I manage to wave the bar code in front of the scanner--beep!--figuring I'll repeat this little dance five more times. But no...!

"Place the item in the bag." I look around. A bunch of bitty plastic grocery bags are plastered by static cling to the side of the counter. Yeah, I'll just put my 4 foot tube in the bitty 10 inch bag held up by nothing. I consider pummeling the automated checkout with the tube in my hand. Well, that would probably be vandalism or something--I sure don't want to pay for the smashed tube. I consider following the stupid instructions and letting the tubes fall onto the concrete floor and break. Tempting, but mercury release, hazmat, fire department maybe. Sigh.

So, still juggling the other five tubes, I wave my tube around the bag, press on the counter, actually overcome the static cling enough to get the little part of the tube that can actually fit into the bag in the bag. The dumb thing still doesn't believe I've put the tube in the bag. (Why does it care?!) So, it won't take another item and sits there beeping annoyingly.

I'm really warming to the smash the tubes over the machine idea. Maybe with a nice loud Star Wars battle cry, "Annoying this droid is!" But a clerk comes up and takes all the stuff to a conventional register. His attitude seems to be, well, of course you don't use automated checkout for fluorescent tubes! I know this how?

I seriously consider going back for a sledge hammer. Scan this!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mb
Prismcat wrote:
Oh, I thought of thing that's annoying - you can't get the bacon in the restroom.

There are many, many places where I like to eat bacon. The bathroom is not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.