The Red Dragon Inn» Forums » Variants

Subject: Upping Antes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Janosi
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Me and my friends realized it was rather difficult to lose by gold in this game, and the odds of losing by gold decreased dramatically with each player eliminated, which is why we thought of upping the antes. Every elimination, all cards that mention 1 gold become 1 higher (antes in the game, cards that steal 1 gold, cards that force you to pay 1 gold to the inn, etc.), all cards that mention 2 gold get 2 higher, etc. It reinvigorates the gambling aspect of the game which really loses its point almost after the first players is eliminated.

I'd recommend you add this in as a house rule to your game. It really adds a lot to the game, as gold was pretty much an ignorable element before and now its actually a danger you have to be wary of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how your group plays, but I see players go out by gold all the time. Between gambling buying drinks and all the other anciliary paying gold cards.

I think your variant would really favor the good gamblers like Gerki and kill characters like Diedre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Blomquist
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to agree with Michael, when I play Gherki or Fleck, I immediately set upon taking someone out monetarily. And if I can get enough drinks out, I usually manage to kill someone else off just by decking the drinks so we have to pay a gold to order a new round.

In most of my games, I find the first player to drop usually does so from money issues. Then I'm often so drunk I go next. Especially if I'm Gherki (I've been taking everyone's money so they start ganging up on me).

If you still find Gold isn't making enough of a difference- add the "Gambling I'm In" deck to the game (The Red Dragon Inn: Gambling? I'm In!). The gambling games in it make gold flow in and out A LOT more. and you can still use cheating, and gambling cards with it.

~Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this last night with all the characters from the RDI1 and I believe two players went bankrupt first, followed closely by a third player passing out.

Perhaps your players aren't being aggressive enough about bankrupting other players. If one player is close to passing out and another is close to going bankrupt, players should take down the poor player before the other player passes out to stop the poor player from making a comeback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeek LTK
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Alteffor wrote:
Me and my friends realized it was rather difficult to lose by gold in this game, and the odds of losing by gold decreased dramatically with each player eliminated, which is why we thought of upping the antes. Every elimination, all cards that mention 1 gold become 1 higher (antes in the game, cards that steal 1 gold, cards that force you to pay 1 gold to the inn, etc.), all cards that mention 2 gold get 2 higher, etc. It reinvigorates the gambling aspect of the game which really loses its point almost after the first players is eliminated.

I'd recommend you add this in as a house rule to your game. It really adds a lot to the game, as gold was pretty much an ignorable element before and now its actually a danger you have to be wary of.

I wonder if you guys are playing correctly. You should only split HALF of an eliminated player's gold. So if it's a 4 player game and someone goes out with 9 gold, each person only gets 1, not 3 (5 immediately go to the Inn, split the remaining 4 between 3 people = 1 each + 1 more to the inn).

Also, are you using the standard drink deck? You should be running out of drinks and therefore having to pay to reshuffle at least once, if not twice in a 4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.