Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a little off topic because it's not about my first addiction (board games) but actually a different type of game. I am considering joining a country club for the purpose of feeding my second addiction - golf.

It would cost me $80 a month for a Mon-Fri membership. It covers green fees. It's a pretty nice course. I figure if I could get to work earlier and leave work earlier, I could make it to the course in time to play 9 holes three or four times a week. Would it be worth it?

Here's a little background:
-- Money isn't "tight" but I am not exactly rolling in the dough either. I have a family of four kids and as they get older, expenses seem to grow. Playing golf would eat all of my discretionary funds and I wouldn't be able to buy any new board games, for starters.

-- I need to lose weight and walking nine holes every day is pretty good exercise. But there is a great gym at my work where I can exercise for free, so I can't really justify it that way.

-- I have about a 26 handicap, so I am not very good. I could join the public course for $40 a month but it's not very nice. However, it's still a challenge for me because of my skills (or lack of). Do I really need a nice course to practice on?

I am torn. $80 a month is a good chunk of change and I think I'd feel pretty guilty about spending that much on myself each month (although I probably already do with board game purchases).

What do y'all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Holder
United States
Rocklin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would join the public course for $40 a month until your skills were improved enough to warrant an upgrade in course.

That leaves you $40 a month to spend on board games! You can have your cake and eat it too.

Another factor in the mix is if the local country club requires a certain number of month commitment from you to join...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Arezzi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no way I could afford 20 bucks a week for golf. However if you get out even 3 times a week and play nine it is well worth it. The exercise, your game will improve, the fresh air. I bet you will feel a whole lot better. If you can make it happen that is a great price. Plus you may be able to stay locked in at that price as prices start to go back up when the economy picks up. I say go for it. I won't even tell you how much it costs here just to play 9 holes at twilight rates on a county course.

Ange

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just figure how many times you golf now by what you pay for the greens fees. If it comes up to be more expensive than the 20 bucks a week go for it, just don't figure in that "well if I have it I might use it more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hallstrom
United States
Indiantown
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I wish golf courses in my area did this kind of thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd stick with the public course, as they are more tolerant of beginners. You'll run into a lot of people at the country club who will look down on you. I once had a woman tell me that beginners should not be allowed to reserve weekend tee times, as that just slows everyone down.

My solution: I gave up golf and took up disc golf. Many of the courses are free, the equipment is cheap. and it only takes 90 minutes or less to play 18 holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you A) enjoy it, and B) commit to going regularly, then I don't see why it wouldn't be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Blanco
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Disc golf beats ball golf every day of the week. Less environmental impact, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the course and where it is located. I live in Chicago and $20 a week wouldn't pay for nine holes in most locations near the city. (Yes I said most). I know a Jack Nicholas course in Crossville Tn. where it is $40 for nine holes during the off season. I am sure it is expensive near the Atlanta region too.

I myself think golf can be great exercise if you walk and very zen for the mind. I was a massive skeptic at first, and around certain people I can't stand to play golf. However, if you go there everyday you will find some really great people who are into the sport for more reasons than just competition. Golf is really the ultimate test of focus, determination, and discipline. If someone wants to get good, it requires dedication and practice.

During my dissertation, I was able to keep focused by playing two rounds of golf a day. I luckily knew people at the course who helped fund me because they liked playing with me. (some of the regulars.) It was a very nice course, fairly challenging (you could test there to get pro certified), and it was far enough away from the major metropolitan areas that you could avoid the hacks but it was still affordable.

I was able to finish my dissertation in record time (even my adviser was impressed), lost seven pounds, and got much better at the game; from a handicap I don't care to repeat to around -17 for 18 when I didn't take a mulligan. (I know this is not great but trust me it is an improvement). My best score was -7 and that was a great day.

I say do it without even thinking about it as long as you know you will play everyday. Besides you live in Georgia so your season is much longer than what mine was in Michigan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
If you're shilling out $80 a month you best be getting to that course on a regular basis.

That would stress me out. I would hit a month or two where I wouldn't hit the quota and "waste" $80 on a single round of golf. That would make me sick.
----
I would always opt for the cheaper route, personally, and go for the public course. Also, how old are your kids? Can they join in for quality family time like games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
$80 a month is pretty cheap for membership. But given your skill level, you might want to join the public course first. If you are improving and getting your money's worth, then you can join the other club. Of course, if the other club has an initiation fee that is currently being waived, you might want to join now.

I am a member of a club and I generally walk 18 once or twice a week and 9 one or two times a week in the Summer. In the winter, my usage goes down but I still average at least one round a week. Given my course's rates, one round a week is about what I need to average to break even. Otherwise, it would be cheaper for me to pay per round.

I used to ride a cart, but started walking this year. I found that I enjoy golf much more when walking. It's good exercise but probably not enough by itself to get big weight loss numbers. But if you start walking, add the gym, and eat better, you can lose a lot of weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
G'damnit I would do that in a heartbeat for $80 a month. Where I live the cheapest is roughtly 25$ a round. The few public courses do not offer memberships that cover green fees and the courses that do would require me to sell an organ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Huck, No,
United States
Sperry
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...

$80 a month for a membership IS cheap, so the inclination is DO IT NOW! (my membership is ~$450 + food minimum per month) Luckily my company pays for it so I don't worry too much about it.

If your handicap is in the upper 20's I would suggest seeing if the public course or country club would be willing to give you a driving range membership. No, it's not as fun as playing but think of it this way; you pay $20-30 per month on a DRM and then you can pay for a round every couple of weeks until you see your HC drop. You really can't get any better (quickly) unless you spend the time on the range and on the practice green.

If you goal is to get better, driving range. If your goal is to get the most rounds per $$$, then I'd say join the public course. If your goal is to say you are a member of a country club...

Good Luck and Happy gaming/golfing!

TOH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's over $1000 a year that could be spent on boardgames or movies with the family or whatever. And your say your gym membership is free, as is walking, so the exercise thing isn't a factor.

thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Other Huck wrote:
Hmmm...

If your handicap is in the upper 20's I would suggest seeing if the public course or country club would be willing to give you a driving range membership. No, it's not as fun as playing but think of it this way; you pay $20-30 per month on a DRM and then you can pay for a round every couple of weeks until you see your HC drop. You really can't get any better (quickly) unless you spend the time on the range and on the practice green.

This is actually part of the dilemma, since I know where I need to be is on the driving range. But they want $50 a month for non-members for the driving range membership. If I could get it for $30 a month (like the members get), I think that's what I'd do for sure. The public course doesn't offer a range plan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
We aren't you, so hard to say, but with what you've given us, I'd join the public course and see how that works out first. If a) you really do go 3-4 times a week, and b) you still enjoy it after a month or two, go for it. I'd be especially wary if the country club has a minimum number of months that you must join or a hefty startup fee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
That's over $1000 a year that could be spent on boardgames or movies with the family or whatever. And your say your gym membership is free, as is walking, so the exercise thing isn't a factor.

thumbsdown

It's tough to justify when you calculate cost for a year...that's a lot of money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is true that exercising in the gym might be free, but if you are like me, then exercising while doing something you enjoy means you'll actually DO the exercise for a sustained period, rather than a few times week 1, twice week 2, and then a steady decline to "oh it has been 3 months since I last went".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great comments here. I think the best thing to do would be join the public course. For $40 a month, if I play just two rounds a week, you are talking about just $5 for 18 holes. Even if the course isn't great, that's still a great deal. Once I get better, I could graduate up to the nicer course (it really is a beautiful course and much more fun to play, which makes it very tempting...)

Another option is to just pay $30 a month for some range tokens and hit buckets and spend the extra money to play a round every once in awhile until I am better. I really can't get enough golf though and it drives me crazy because it doesn't look like it should be so hard!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, my dad was told years ago that golf is no use as exercise for weight loss as you keep stopping - you never really get your heart rate up. No idea if that is still the accepted wisdom - I guess at least it does encourage you to get to your 10,000 steps.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By a Wii and play golf in your Living Room.

Dude, it is a value proposition. Is it at @ $1K a year worth it to you? R u able to meet all debt and family obligations 1st? Will you use it regularly?

Good luck with your decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Palmarozzi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$1000/year on golf is CHEAP if you play regularly. I would kill for an $80/month membership to a decent course.

Anyway if the public course has at least mediocre greens (as in they're consistent from hole to hole and pretty even) then go with that first. $40/month is crazy. What on earth....I need to move out of a major city!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhaeman wrote:
$1000/year on golf is CHEAP if you play regularly. I would kill for an $80/month membership to a decent course.

Anyway if the public course has at least mediocre greens (as in they're consistent from hole to hole and pretty even) then go with that first. $40/month is crazy. What on earth....I need to move out of a major city!

It really is a good deal. If I was single, there would be no question. I'd be there everyday...it's a great course. For $150 a month, you can get a family membership. That includes swimming pool and I think they have tennis courts. If I had a family of teenaged boys who played golf, what a steal.

The main drawback for the public course is it's always pretty crowded and you get a lot of golfers with no golfing etiquette. The other day my friend was playing and there was a sevensome and sixsome. And we were playing and a couple of golfers were playing a different hole but were playing up our fairway because of errant drives.

I am torn though...with a membership I'd feel like I wanted to get my money's worth and play daily and I know it might cause contention. But I probably play once a week anyway and pay at least $20 so what's the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
It sounds like you don't enjoy playing the public course -- that will be a big demotivator to playing it. I say go for it. If it becomes a burden or you don't use it as often as you think, you can always stop paying.

johnnyspys wrote:
Golf is really the ultimate test of focus, determination, and discipline. If someone wants to get good, it requires dedication and practice.
Let's agree that it is AN ultimate test so I don't have to go hunting down YT videos of pool players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theotherring wrote:
I agree. Disc golf beats ball golf every day of the week. Less environmental impact, too.

Are you kidding me? My discs LOVE trees. I swear that if they had blades, the entire forest would be gone. Freaking discs...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.