Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need it soooo much... i'm totally addicted to it... the 24h the server was down was terrible for me... now it seems we'll have to wait longer... I'm not sure i can stand it much longer !

Maybe if we are a lot to ask, the right holders will solve the problems faster ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Notice posted on game.genie site:

News

090715: I have come to understand that I need to improve my legal standing with those who own the rights to RftG. So the site is hopefully temporarily out of service.

090714: Serious problems with my IP service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll officially ask here, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pussy Katz
msg tools
Signed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwa wrote:
I need it soooo much... i'm totally addicted to it... the 24h the server was down was terrible for me... now it seems we'll have to wait longer... I'm not sure i can stand it much longer !

Maybe if we are a lot to ask, the right holders will solve the problems faster ?
This is why I'm glad the games are in play-by-web-format as opposed to real time. If a real time app had downtime, that'd mean games would get aborted. Nothing upsetted me more while playing Sea3d (Settlers + Seafarers) then games that quit due to problems with the server... of which it was ultimately on the players since many either just quit, or were not aware that you can rejoin a game you inadvertently got booted out of. Here, at least you can pick off and continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last i checked there were 407 rated players on there. That's not counting the many players with games in progress that had yet to complete one.

Not bad for a few weeks word of mouth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Here, at least you can pick off and continue.

I really enjoyed the slow pace. It allowed me to very deeply ponder every decision - something i find quite enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, please give it back cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Wolthausen
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to call on Tom and/or Jay for comment. They have been conspicuously mum on the subject.

It seemed to me that there was no harm being done by the host of the genie. S/he may now be the target of legal action, whether a mild cease-and-desist request, an outright threat, or anything in between (suspending IP service, e.g.?). Irrespective of just exactly what is going on, I think that the serious ill-will of the (many enthusiastic) fans is on the line.

Tom and/or Jay (I don't know who owns the copyrights), of course, have every right to exercise their legal authority here. They both seem like stand-up guys to me, though, and I hope one of them might wish to speak up and defend themselves against the assumptions of the crowd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been debated before - and the answer was given in another thread about a different attempt to "computerize" RftG.

Tom Lehman wrote:
James does not have my support for this effort. RGG and I are currently trying to license an online version of RFTG to an online gaming portal.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3003403#3003403

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom commented on another thread that the website programmer had contacted him. Tom referred him to Jay.

It wasn't implied that any threat had been made, only that the site owner was being careful.

I hope Jay can allow this to stay up without jeopardizing his ownership of the rights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erinwolth wrote:

Tom and/or Jay (I don't know who owns the copyrights), of course, have every right to exercise their legal authority here.

Of course, and I have every right not buying any product from RGG anymore till the online service is back... (and I was a good customer, I had to rebuy the base set and TGS because they were worn out and not anymore compatible with RvI.)

This situation is tooo thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown

BTW, i feel Tom really is a nice guy... I love his implication with the gamers community, here for example, but well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
Benwa wrote:

Of course, and I have every right not buying any product from RGG anymore till the online service is back...

Yes, throwing a tantrum and threatening a boycott is just the kind of action that will get the situation resolved quickly to your satisfaction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be willing to spend $500 to help subsidize a temporary license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't really blame them (Tom and Jay) for wanting to retain control of their intellectual property. Likewise, you can't really blame the owner/operator of Genie for taking the service down in order to reduce liability and/or investigate licensing. A popular unlicensed service is still unlicensed. (But then I wasn't a user so I have little vested interest in this.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually Tom and Jay were trying to turn a blind eye, but Genie is insisting that they formally acknowledge it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsnell wrote:
Benwa wrote:

Of course, and I have every right not buying any product from RGG anymore till the online service is back...

Yes, throwing a tantrum and threatening a boycott is just the kind of action that will get the situation resolved quickly to your satisfaction...

Sorry, this is not my intention... but i'm so pissed off... All my regular fellow gamers are on hollidays and i'm alone here now... this site was so nice !

BTW, the server administrator had made a pledge that his site would be closed when any official site would open. I don't understand all these issues about intellectual property rights... The major target of this site is core fans... which have at least bought one copy of the original game. BTW, if any "official version" was just about to be launched, i maybe would understand... but it's been years since we are waiting for such a thing.

I feel all this is a bit ridiculous, and bad publicity for RGG... but well, it's only my opinion.

Quote:
Actually Tom and Jay were trying to turn a blind eye, but Genie is insisting that they formally acknowledge it.

Ah, this changes everything, of course (and all what i said hereabove)... in this case, I understand there is a little problem... and that this "formal aknowledgement" cannot be given without thinking about all its implications.

BTW, in this case, why not keep the server open untill an agreement has been made ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Trumbull
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

If that's the case, my mistake!

It's probably best for all parties concerned that a formal agreement be reached. Else, there would be no protection for the Genie operator. I don't blame either party for the CYA activity -- it's beneficial in the long run though annoying to the users in the short term.

EDIT:
Benwa wrote:
BTW, in this case, why not keep the server open untill an agreement has been made ?

Minimize potential damages. Mitigation reasons. Reduce potential liability. Good faith effort. (Four ways of roughly saying the same thing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
jsnell wrote:
Benwa wrote:

I hardly think boycotting a business because you don't like their practices is throwing a tantrum. How else can you convince a business to do things that make you, their customer, do what you want, but vote with your wallet. Now, perhaps the business will choose to not head your wishes, as they feel they'll make more money doing so, but at least you've made yourself heard.

I wish RGG would get things worked out with whomever they were working with on an official version, so it could be available for purchase/subscription. It can't me that difficult, this is the third version (2 computer download, 1 online) that has been quashed.

Now I'm back to trying to figure out how to use vassal for playing this, using the officially sanctioned french module.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:

Now I'm back to trying to figure out how to use vassal for playing this, using the officially sanctioned french module.

I tried the Vassal module, and it is way less user-friendly than what the genie site made available to us.

When I play with Vassal, the rythm is more like one or two turns a day, one game at a time...

On the genie site, i finished something like 150 games in 5 days...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
erinwolth wrote:
I'd like to call on Tom and/or Jay for comment. They have been conspicuously mum on the subject.

This issue should not be discussed in a public forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Once the Geek has you, there is no escape...
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
Where'd you get this information? Care to expound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoît Delcorps
Belgium
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
erinwolth wrote:

Why not ? Does all the discussions have to be made with a lawyer (and eventually a banker) next to you ? Maybe i'm candid, but I wished everybody could speak about everything in a public forum...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Benwa wrote:
apotheos wrote:
erinwolth wrote:

Why not ? Does all the discussions have to be made with a lawyer (and eventually a banker) next to you ? Maybe i'm candid, but I wished everybody could speak about everything in a public forum...

I assume that the reason they can't discuss things publicly is that they're trying for a deal with some game portal and there's precedent that things said publicly will be blown out of proportion and ruin chances (legally, socially, whatever) to be adopted by the game portal.

Why? I have no idea. Probably lawyers advise it and they go along with the lawyers. A perfectly reasonable decision, to go along with what your lawyers tell you, but one which leaves us utterly in the dark.

Is everything I just said nothing but nonsense? Maybe, but I can't tell, 'cause something, whether the law, culture, misunderstanding, paranoia, or who knows what, something obviously hugely disincentivizes transparency in this kind of situation, and it's not worth it to me to try licensing something that others want to produce for free to find out where the hangup happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Benwa wrote:
apotheos wrote:
erinwolth wrote:

Business is business and fun is fun. This site is about fun, not business, and there are enough embarrassingly immature conceptions about IP and product development in this thread alone to clearly illustrate that even if it wasn't a case of "should not", nobody involved has anything to gain by bringing the official discussion to this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.