Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrei Filip
Canada
New Westminster
BC
flag msg tools
badge
I'd like to try one of these but I can't decide yet which one. Instead I'd like to ask those who already read the series what they think it would be best suited to me, provided I:

- am grown up and like settings a bit more "serious"
- would like a series that offers continuity intead of one where you choose a new adventurer every time you open the book
- am looking for as much replayability as possible. I realise once you read the book there's not much surprise left for future readings but if I can go through the book playing as a totaly different character, that's better than solving the same puzzle every time

Thanks for the suggestions and if you can think of other arguments why you think one is better than the other, please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fixpix wrote:
I'd like to try one of these but I can't decide yet which one. Instead I'd like to ask those who already read the series what they think it would be best suited to me, provided I:

- am grown up and like settings a bit more "serious"

I don't know that there is really anything "serious" about these... I mean, not like there's drinking and whoring or anything. But you're killing things in both series, not rescuing the Smurfs from Gargamel, or anything.

fixpix wrote:
- would like a series that offers continuity intead of one where you choose a new adventurer every time you open the book

This is definitely Lone Wolf. You carry skills and possessions over from book to book.

fixpix wrote:
- am looking for as much replayability as possible. I realise once you read the book there's not much surprise left for future readings but if I can go through the book playing as a totaly different character, that's better than solving the same puzzle every time

I've recently gotten my hands on some Wizard Books UK editions of some of the Fighting Fantasy books, where they incorporate sorcery. You can either go through the book as a fighter, or as a sorceror. It's more difficult to do sorcery, because you are supposed to remember certain character sequences for different spells, and not cheat...

Hope this helps!

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Peterson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heartily recommend the Lone Wolf Series, and it is available online at projectaon.org

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As others said, Lone Wolf is great for what you're looking for, and free. Don't pass up the FF books though, there were some really good ones. Also check out GrailQuest if you get the chance. I only ever had one of those (Voyage of Terror) and I loved it (course I was a little kid then too so my perspective may be different now), but you played the same character from book to book and transferred unspent items over as well.

edit: typoed the GrailQuest name cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
As proud owner and designer of the "Gamebooks Fan" microbadge I feel obliged to chime in.

From what you say, I think the best choice would be Lone Wolf, for reasons already explained (continuity between books and so on).

However, between the Fighting Fantasy books there is the four-books mini-series Steve Jackson's Sorcery! Bundled Set which is probably the best match for your requests in the FF books. You can play either as a Warrior or Mage, you carry your inventory and modifiers from one book to the next, and the books are very different if you choose one profession or the other. For this I think they have also an overall higher replayability than the Lone Wolf books; however in Lone Wolf you also customize your character (you can choose various "disciplines/skills" that affect your progression during the book).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Butler
United States
Glen Burnie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For my money, NOTHING beats the Sorcery! series by Steve Jackson.
The FF and Lone Wolf books can't even come close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have to agree with the Sorcery recommendations - I've replayed them periodically over the past 25 years (I think it's really been that long) -have still only managed to get a very small way into the final book before coming to a grisly end. Also would recommend the Tunnels & Trolls solos, which although variable in quality, allow for open character development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.