Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I've avoided buying games like EMPIRE BUILDER that require players to draw with crayons (or whatever). Do the marks erase cleanly or do you end up with a mess that keeps getting worse every time you play? (The whole point of this question is to give me an excuse to spend more money).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the newest version of Empire Builder and I have no problems removing the marks. I haven't noticed a appreciable amount of wear either. I find myself overly concerned about the condition of my games and I didn't let this detract me from buying the game.

With my copy of Pampas Railroads, I'm significantly more cautious. I place the map under plexiglass and use wet erase markers to draw on the plexiglass. I suppose the same thing could be done for the EB series games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deaddogdays wrote:
I find myself overly concerned about the condition of my games

Me too. I had to give my wife the evil eye last night for being a bit rough with my LOST CITIES cards . . .

Quote:
I place the map under plexiglass and use wet erase markers to draw on the plexiglass.

Good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought Eurorails, a member of the Empire Builder family, and didn't like the crayons. It wasn't so much that they left marks on the board, but they were hard to see. I bought some china markers (aka grease pencils) at a craft store and they worked much better. I Haven't had any problem with them leaving lasting marks either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
I've avoided buying games like EMPIRE BUILDER that require players to draw with crayons (or whatever). Do the marks erase cleanly or do you end up with a mess that keeps getting worse every time you play? (The whole point of this question is to give me an excuse to spend more money).
OK, Joe, I'll give you your excuse. There is a wonderful alternative to the crayons here: Something Better than Plexiglass for Crayon Rails games & wargames which was posted by the very helpful and wonderful Helen Holzgrafe.
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I recently purchased India Rails, measured the board when I received it, and went to Jo-Ann Fabrics to purchase the vinyl. I bought an 8-gauge non-glare vinyl for $3.49 a yard. I bought the entire yard so that I would be able to cut it to the right size; they rolled it up on a tube for me and put it in a special tube bag.

The non-glare vinyl is slightly frosted on one side and shiny on the other. I used it with the shiny side down/on the board and the frosty side up/to write on. I had to lift it once to get the electricity going so that it would stick better. It stuck to the board perfectly, but not to the table, but that was OK since you couldn't move or slide the vinyl off the board unless you lifted it all off. Maybe I'll try cutting a larger piece--like with 3 inches extra on each side--to see if it will stick to the table. I also might try the shiny side up next as it seemed to take a lot of wipings to fully remove the ink (even though the vinyl is clear the paper towel keeps coming out with ink). Maybe it will come off easier from the shiny side--I'll try that next. However, I need to emphasize that it does come all the way off!!

I found the markers at Target for a LOT less than the office supply store. Although they only had the small pack with the 4 colors and 2 blacks. Since it is only two of us playing, 4 colors is more than enough for now!!

I used a wrapping paper roll I had already opened to store it. It works really well; I unrolled the paper about 4 inches shorter than my piece, then carefully rolled it up. The overhanging piece sticks to itself perfectly.

The game is wonderful. Go out and buy it!! If you will be playing less players, consider a smaller map. There are several good ones. Enjoy!!

No more excuses!!

Mrs. Mystery Bob
MMB

kiss

Happy Crayon Railing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't bad to clean, though the crayons need a bit of scrubbing to remove completely from the map. The jigsaws of the board are a little annoying. Sometimes you get someone who just uses too much force to grab or draw with the crayons.

Most of the people I know who play these games buy the roll-up laminated maps from Mayfair and use wet-erase markers, (Dry erase markers get erased by sleeves and hands drawing track,) This is a very good solution, though the maps are so very much better at rolling up than staying unrolled. One fellow uses little dive weights to hold the corners down. But some of this is storing them rolled: if you could store them flat, they might tend to stay flat.

Oddly, standard wet erase marker sets seem to match the Mayfair token colors perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Tall_Walt wrote:
...Dry erase markers get erased by sleeves and hands drawing track...

Dry erase markers also permanently stain. Use wet-erase or china pencils.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
...it seemed to take a lot of wipings to fully remove the ink...

With the laminated boards we usually use a sopping wet paper towel followed by a dry towel. Just wiping doesn't work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not experienced a problem, but I wouldn't call my plays 'repeated' plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
They aren't bad to clean, though the crayons need a bit of scrubbing to remove completely from the map. The jigsaws of the board are a little annoying. Sometimes you get someone who just uses too much force to grab or draw with the crayons.

Most of the people I know who play these games buy the roll-up laminated maps from Mayfair and use wet-erase markers, (Dry erase markers get erased by sleeves and hands drawing track,) This is a very good solution, though the maps are so very much better at rolling up than staying unrolled. One fellow uses little dive weights to hold the corners down. But some of this is storing them rolled: if you could store them flat, they might tend to stay flat.

Oddly, standard wet erase marker sets seem to match the Mayfair token colors perfectly.

Another reason I love the vinyl tablecloth cover is that you don't have to worry about the jigsaw joints. I did have to flatten my boards though as they came slightly warped/rounded. Helen helped me via gmail on how to flatten them. Apparently they are printed in CHina and packaged before they are 100% dried/cured, causing them to warp. :sigh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Apparently they are printed in CHina and packaged before they are 100% dried/cured, causing them to warp. :sigh:

Or the humidity just changed. (shrug)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
Apparently they are printed in CHina and packaged before they are 100% dried/cured, causing them to warp. :sigh:

Or the humidity just changed. (shrug)

Walt, are the tube maps still readily available? I didn't see any on Mayfair's site. Do I need to try Amazon or Ebay to find them? Are they sold at OLGS?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the individual train game (home/train games/____ Rails) and look towards the bottom. For Empire Builder $12:
http://www.mayfairgames.com/shop/product/4500-4699/pages/450...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Go to the individual train game (home/train games/____ Rails) and look towards the bottom. For Empire Builder $12:
http://www.mayfairgames.com/shop/product/4500-4699/pages/450...

Way cool, thanks!!

kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:

Cover with plexiglass. Use wet erase (overhead projector) markers.

Your board will never get dirty and it is brighter and easier to see the routes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
joe_salamone wrote:

Cover with plexiglass. Use wet erase (overhead projector) markers.

Your board will never get dirty and it is brighter and easier to see the routes.

I second the plexiglas and wet erase markers. Your local hardware store will be the best (cheapest) place to pick up a sheet of thin plexi...and you can use it for other games too. When you put it down just mark where the board corners are and then if it gets bumped you can easily adjust. You can also use masking tape (blue tape is best) to tape the plexi to the table.

I found my markers at a local office supply store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a secondhand copy of the 1984 version of Empire Builder and it was clearly played a few times. I have since played it a few times myself and have used nothing but the crayons included with the game. I use a dry cloth to clean the crayon off. There are no permanent crayon marks or otherwise. I bet it looks just like it did when it was new.

My crayons are wearing down and a few have broken, so just today I tested and bought some Crayola washable crayons and they work and clean just as well.

I don't see the need to get vinyl or acrylic for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joe!!

So...........now that you have an excuse, which game(s) are you going to buy?

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
...it seemed to take a lot of wipings to fully remove the ink...

With the laminated boards we usually use a sopping wet paper towel followed by a dry towel. Just wiping doesn't work as well.

I take mine to the kitchen sink and rinse down the entire map. If I'm particularly lazy, I run them under the shower.

Word of warning: some red inks stain the plastic laminate. Use red with caution, or test the ink in some non-used corner of the map beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Hey Joe!!

So...........now that you have an excuse, which game(s) are you going to buy?

whistle

As always, I'll probably buy all of the ones mentioned and my wife will beat the tar out of me when the shipment arrives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.